CNN Travel readers list seven Thai dishes among World’s 50 Best Foods

webfact

CNN Travel readers list seven Thai dishes among World’s 50 Best Foods

PNECO600731001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 31 July, 2017 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) announced that CNN Travel readers have listed seven Thai dishes among the World’s 50 Best Foods on its Facebook poll. The list is a reformatted and republished version of the original article published in 2011. 

Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, the TAT Governor said, “We’re thankful for all the votes – a testament to the already solid reputation of the Amazing Thai Taste, which is part of our foodie tourism initiative to motivate tourists and foodies to embark on a culinary journey to taste signature Thai dishes in renowned venues across Thailand as the way to explore Thainess through food.”

The latest CNN Travel World’s 50 Best Foods list was compiled based on the votes of 35,000 readers via a Facebook poll. The seven Thai dishes in the list are Tom Yum Kung in fourth place, Pad Thai (fifth), Som Tam Papaya Salad (sixth), Massaman Curry (10th), Green Curry (19th), Chicken Fried Rice (24th) and Mu Nam Tok or spicy minced pork salad (36th).

According to CNN Travel writer, Tim Cheung, the original World’s 50 Best Foods article, which was released in 2011 “stimulate some impassioned debate about the conspicuous lack of French dishes and the merits of ketchup over mayonnaise” and so the online publication “threw it open to a vote on a Facebook poll.”

Mr. Yuthasak said, “With seven Thai dishes voted into this influential list shows how Thai Cuisine is increasingly perceived as a world-class culinary experience and Thailand a great destination for foodie tourism.

TAT plays a large role in promoting Thai Cuisine through several initiatives, including launching the Amazing Thai Taste campaign in 2016, publishing several publications about Thai dishes and ingredients and the best places to find them, and sponsoring a large number of food based events around the world.

This year, TAT has entered into a partnership with Michelin Travel Partner to publish a Michelin Guide Bangkok as well as with Gault & Millau to publish a bilingual Thailand guidebook in the Gault & Millau Belux 2018 edition. In May 2018, Thailand will host the UNWTO Conference on Gastronomy Tourism.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-07-31

16 minutes ago, thedivezone said:

Agree wth most of the picks, although not sure if massaman curry can actually be called Thai.

One dish that's certainly missing in the list is Tom Kha.

16 minutes ago, thedivezone said:

Agree wth most of the picks, although not sure if massaman curry can actually be called Thai.

One dish that's certainly missing in the list is Tom Kha.

I am inclined to agree about Massaman, except the Thais make it better than anyone else.

i wouldn't go to sparkhill in birmingham or dudley or wolverhampton that's  my turf! and say thai massaman curry is better than indian... plus it certainly aint  !:post-4641-1156693976:

1 hour ago, gamini said:

One of the reasons I love Thailand.  I would say second only to French food.  

obviously up to the individual palate, yet thai should be ranked near the top , both in terms of taste and variety and value; i wasted all those gastronomic years in the usa and mexico (albeit mexican ceviche and sometimes octopus  is quite ok)

• 2 weeks later...

My namtok where I am in the north east is hard to believe it is regarded as a salad.  It's 85% meat 15% herbs and tiny bit of salad mixed in and served with sticky Ricky. 

If that's a salad here then obesity is default.

99% of people enjoy Thai food because what they get is full of sugar, posing as healthy. Thai food can be great but only when the natural flavours are allowed to shine rather than being masked by sugar or msg or both.

Pad Thai and Chicken Fried Rice? Among the best 50 foods in the world? I'm not sure they'd make my list of top 50 Thai foods. Bland, tasteless. Perfect for toddlers, but not for a developed palate.

7 hours ago, Prbkk said:

99% of people enjoy Thai food because what they get is full of sugar, posing as healthy. Thai food can be great but only when the natural flavours are allowed to shine rather than being masked by sugar or msg or both.

For natural flavours we have the Indonesian/Malaysian cuisine. Also they are better with marinating and selecting meat.

And in other news scientists have discovered the best color is yellow. After interviewing 3000 people from 100 different countries and extensive scientific research involving tin foil hats and other scientific instruments it is scientifically speculated that that the color yellow is the best possible colour followed in second and third places by orange and green.

Red was the second most worst color next to black ( only a shade ) which is the worst.

Just now, wakeupplease said:

I can never understand why thai food always tastes and looks better back home in the Thai restaurants, here its just brown and full of sugar and time to visit the sandwich shop, just cannot eat brown stuff.

Stupidest post of the year.  

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

I can never understand why thai food always tastes and looks better back home in the Thai restaurants, here its just brown and full of sugar and time to visit the sandwich shop, just cannot eat brown stuff.

When Thai food overseas started to boom in the 70/80s most of it was just Chinese slop with a few Thai flavourings. Now it's very different : better Thai food in Melbourne, SFO, Toronto, Auckland, Berlin, London that could ever be found in 99% of Thailand restaurants.

13 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

When Thai food overseas started to boom in the 70/80s most of it was just Chinese slop with a few Thai flavourings. Now it's very different : better Thai food in Melbourne, SFO, Toronto, Auckland, Berlin, London that could ever be found in 99% of Thailand restaurants.

I wouldn't say 99 percent but the general point is still valid.

But one thing you won't get abroad is the experience of eating Thai food IN Thailand. 

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But one thing you won't get abroad is the experience of eating Thai food IN Thailand. 

Not true. I am told that a Thai restaurant in New York sprays a special burning plastic and sewer gas aroma to give that real Thai experience.

On 31/07/2017 at 9:32 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Or Pad Thai as it is originally Vietnamese. 

Fascist dictator Phibunsongkhram liked it so much he made it the Thai national dish, hence the name. 

Chicken fried rice isn't Thai either, if we want to nitpick.

The Thais can thank the Portuguese traders that brought them the chillis from the South Americas. Thai food would be truly awful without them.

I am still at a loss to know how people can taste anything when their whole mouth is on fire.