No tourists just filthy sea, dead fish and rubbish - so beach traders call it a day

webfact

No tourists just filthy sea, dead fish and rubbish - so beach traders call it a day

tnews_1501491573_9687.jpg

Picture: TNews

PATTAYA: -- Tnews reported that deck chair and umbrella operators on Jomtien beach had all gone home as there were virtually no tourists and the place was filthy.

Tnews made a video and took still pictures of the horrible beach covered in bloated dead fish, plastic bags and other rubbish. They reported that the sea was murky and uninviting.

A few tourist stalwarts remained but few seemed to be in the area.

They quoted one unnamed trader as saying there was no point in sticking around as there were no tourists and there was no money to be made.

They blamed the storms and the rubbish pouring out of the city drains into the sea after weeks of heavy rainfall.

Tnews reported that the area hardly resembled the so called "world class resort" that the area has been called by the tourism authorities.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-01

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai beaches and waterways are truly disgusting and heavily polluted.  Tourists should definitely be warned about going into the seas and check their travel insurance policies for swimming in a sewage treatment plant as the photo shows the marine life don't like human excrement.

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

Dave.

There are some nice beaches with clean sea further south along the coast. My family were there a few weeks ago. It means you will have to hire a car though.

If you want more info, PM me.

Cheers 

The last time I swam in Jomtien was 2006 I think.  It seemed OK at the time.  Boy it has gone downhill and it is such a naturally pretty place.  Of course it can't handle the sewage, restaurant waste water, etc.  What a shame.  It was so fun to stay in Pattaya, hop down to Jomtien to swim.  Jomtien beach was relatively quiet.

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

I think you have no need to worry....while they say Jomtien Beach I'm almost sure they mean Pattaya beach.

I walk on Jomtien promenade daily and it is a nice friendly spot with traders as usual .

I hope you and your family have a great holiday and remember the old addige......" Don't believe everything you read in the papers".

28 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I think you have no need to worry....while they say Jomtien Beach I'm almost sure they mean Pattaya beach.

I walk on Jomtien promenade daily and it is a nice friendly spot with traders as usual .

I hope you and your family have a great holiday and remember the old addige......" Don't believe everything you read in the papers".

I would say that the photo is of Jomtien beach. If it was Pattaya beach the backdrop would be of the headland between Pattaya and Jomtiem. Also there would be loads of jet skiers etc, etc in the sea and the sky.

A few miles up the coast in Bang Saen the beach gets just as polluted, but the visitors there are Thai, millions of them, and they dont care about the rubbish - they just close there eyes to it, but foreign tourists will not put up with it.

The entire northern Gulf is heavily polluted with plastic, and a lot of other shit from Bangkok as well as the coastal towns - it is a eco disaster area that Thailand has to address sooner rather than later, The plastic is not confined to the sea and beaches it is in every plot of land, every street and soi, and every government that comes along does nothing to stop it -it had made me fall out of love with this country. I finally bit the bullet and took my family to the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, and there is hardly a speck of trash on the beaches here (the locals think so but they have no idea what a rally polluted coast is like  )- the sea is beautiful and clear, my kids are appreciating it so much, but i am sad about it.

I have never gone swimming in Jomtien or Pattaya, or wading, for that matter. Didn't seem any dirtier than usual (?). Not  loads of folks in the morning, but within normal range at sunset.

Old advice saying came to mind, useful in many situations (hope they allow) "Ya don't shit where you eat".

4 minutes ago, trogers said:

Endless cleaning due to the present mindset. At whose cost?

If the beach venders thought about it, they should clean the area where they are. Then maybe a customer would use them. Too lazy and moaning instead of acting.

8 minutes ago, chrissables said:

If the beach venders thought about it, they should clean the area where they are. Then maybe a customer would use them. Too lazy and moaning instead of acting.

Problem is not only the trash, but the sewer like quality of the seawater...

When you look at all the rubbish in all the klongs in Pattaya, Jomtien and even in Bangkok its no wonder rubbish gets washed in to the ocean in heavy rain. Maybe that's the place to start with the cleanup process?

I enjoy the beach down there when its clean but nothing will get me in the water.

I went further away to Mae Phim beach a few years ago thinking that would be cleaner and got bitten by microscopic jellyfish so I think that's natures way of telling me to stay out of the water, lol.

Just now, trogers said:

Problem is not only the trash, but the sewer like quality of the seawater...

Yes of course, it's a terrible situation. But if the vendors were a little proactive and banded together to clean their area of the beach, maybe people would sit there. If they tried it and it did not work, fair enough to give up. :)

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

The last time I swam in Jomtien was 2006 I think.  It seemed OK at the time.  Boy it has gone downhill and it is such a naturally pretty place.  Of course it can't handle the sewage, restaurant waste water, etc.  What a shame.  It was so fun to stay in Pattaya, hop down to Jomtien to swim.  Jomtien beach was relatively quiet.

I really don't see why you say that. I'm 17 years in and around Jomtien beach. The have put a good effort into improving the promenade and making it lovely and enjoyable. Have a team of ladies with pink jackets ro cater for those who like a massage on the beach. Have the chair and umbrella traders who now have to leave ample space available for those wishing to picnic with their own chairs or mats and many families take very good advantage of this (I even see regular foreigners now with their favourite music tapes and G/F doing this daily) along with loads of people carrying baskets of "gung" (prawns, I think and crab (we're not sea food eaters where I come from). Most people are friendly and will chat along.

I cannot comment on the water conditions but whatever they are it doesn't seem to stop a lot of people who like to go for a swim.

Rock on Jomtien......I love strolling along it's front.

For a really beautiful beach and clean water....then Nang Ram is the place to head for in Sattahip ( U-tapow).

I'm blessed as I live between the two.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

It's quiet now according to the Beach traders!

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Never has done, and never will do.

I presume that the junk, crap, used condoms and pulverised toilet paper in the water at Jom Tien last year, drifted around from Pattaya beach.

Apart from being disgusted at the filth, I also ended up with a skin infection which the dermatologist said was infected hair follicles.  Never, ever happened before.

I'll stay at a place with a pool next trip.

I live in Jomtien. When I am in town,  I walk to the beach at sunrise. I see the little people sitting up Beach chairs and smoothing the sand. 

They smooth out he sand and take the garbage into the water right in front of their beach chairs. The garbage floats around in front in the water. 

Problem solved.

what the f%*k are they thinking? That the garbage will just magically float away. Of course no one wants to rent a beach chair with a view of garage.

In the days before smart phones,  the local school kids used to regularly "volunteer" to remove the trash from the beach.

I'm glad the students wised up eventually as the shameful deck chair cartel just sat around and watched them. :sad: