Trump dictated misleading statement on son's meeting with Russian - Washington Post

webfact

Trump dictated misleading statement on son's meeting with Russian - Washington Post

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump awards the Medal of Honor to James McCloughan, who served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War, during a ceremony at the White House in Washington, U.S. July 31, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump dictated a statement, later shown to be misleading, in which his son Donald Trump Jr. said a meeting he had with a Russian lawyer in June 2016 was not related to his father's presidential campaign, the Washington Post reported on Monday.

Trump Jr. released emails earlier in July that showed he eagerly agreed last year to meet a woman he was told was a Russian government lawyer who might have damaging information about Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton as part of Moscow's official support for his father. The New York Times was first to report the meeting.

The Washington Post said Trump advisers discussed the new disclosure and agreed that Trump Jr. should issue a truthful account of the episode so that it "couldn’t be repudiated later if the full details emerged."

The president, who was flying home from Germany on July 8, changed the plan and "personally dictated a statement in which Trump Jr. said he and the Russian lawyer had 'primarily discussed a programme about the adoption of Russian children,'" the Post said, citing unnamed people with knowledge of the deliberations.

It said the statement, issued to the New York Times as it prepared to publish the story, emphasized that the subject of the meeting was “not a campaign issue at the time.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment on the Post story, nor did Trump's outside counsel Marc Kasowitz and Donald Trump Jr.'s attorney, Alan Futerfas.

U.S. investigators are probing whether there was collusion between the Kremlin and Trump’s Republican presidential campaign.

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded that Moscow sought to hurt Clinton and help Trump in the 2016 election. Russia denies any interference, and Trump has denied collusion with Russia.

The president applauded his son's "transparency" after he released the email exchanges on July 11.

"It remains unclear exactly how much the president knew at the time of the flight about Trump Jr.’s meeting," the Washington Post said.

(Reporting by Washington Newsroom; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-01

I won't be surprised if its found Trump Sr was at the meeting.  He certainly knew a lot about it, before during and after it happened.  And then, typical Trump-style, lied his face off ever day for the ensuing year about it.

In a related matter:  why aren't Jared's and Ivanka's security clearances yanked?   Jared's for several obvious reasons.  But also Ivanka's, because she's right in the middle of the whole cover-up.  She's got direct connections to her brothers, to her husband, and to her ever-fawning daddy.   Even if she was deaf dumb and blind, and locked in a broom closet for the past 15 months, she would have lots of inside dirt on the Trump/Russia thing.

14 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I won't be surprised if its found Trump Sr was at the meeting.  He certainly knew a lot about it, before during and after it happened.  And then, typical Trump-style, lied his face off ever day for the ensuing year about it.

In a related matter:  why aren't Jared's and Ivanka's security clearances yanked?   Jared's for several obvious reasons.  But also Ivanka's, because she's right in the middle of the whole cover-up.  She's got direct connections to her brothers, to her husband, and to her ever-fawning daddy.   Even if she was deaf dumb and blind, and locked in a broom closet for the past 15 months, she would have lots of inside dirt on the Trump/Russia thing.

If they revoke Ivanka's clearance, who will be left to put pink kittens and soft pastel shaded tea coasters in the Oval Office ? You are not thinking clearly today.

Trump dictated son’s misleading statement on meeting with Russian lawyer

"As special counsel Robert S. Mueller III looks into potential obstruction of justice as part of his broader investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election, these advisers worry that the president’s direct involvement leaves him needlessly vulnerable to allegations of a coverup."

“This was . . . unnecessary,” said one of the president’s advisers, who like most other people interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations."

“Now someone can claim he’s the one who attempted to mislead; somebody can argue the president is saying he doesn’t want you to say the whole truth.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-dictated-sons-misleading-statement-on-meeting-with-russian-lawyer/2017/07/31/04c94f96-73ae-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.ad82be1daede

Obstruction of Justice. Coverup.

That's where it started with Nixon.

History repeats itself...

Edited by iReason

7 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump dictated a statement, later shown to be misleading, in which his son Donald Trump Jr. said a meeting he had with a Russian lawyer in June 2016 was not related to his father's presidential campaign

Possible leaker - former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus.

Well the Mooch didn't last long- he wasn't even on the payroll yet. I actually think Trump liked his vulgar rant in the Times but gave into his daughter who did not like it.

Trump will last until the 2018 elections for House and Senate.... If the Dems gain control of the house... he will be impeached and then convicted in the Senate.  Too many Republican Senators think he is crazy.  Trump will do a lot of damage until he leaves.  Most people are counting the days, He will go down in history as the worst President ever and the most incompetent.

54 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Well the Mooch didn't last long- he wasn't even on the payroll yet. I actually think Trump liked his vulgar rant in the Times but gave into his daughter who did not like it.

Trump will last until the 2018 elections for House and Senate.... If the Dems gain control of the house... he will be impeached and then convicted in the Senate.  Too many Republican Senators think he is crazy.  Trump will do a lot of damage until he leaves.  Most people are counting the days, He will go down in history as the worst President ever and the most incompetent.

He will try to drag a lot of people down with him.

5 hours ago, iReason said:

Obstruction of Justice. Coverup.

That's where it started with Nixon.

History repeats itself...

Another similarity with Nixon:  Soon after Nixon put General Alexander Haig as Chief of Staff to replace a politician, the Watergate unraveling accelerated.   Generals are good as some things (giving and getting orders) but are usually clueless when it comes to the intricacies of politics.  

For those thinking things will get less chaotic with Kelly as Sgt at Arms - are going to be in for a series of surprises.  The roller coaster with the broken brakes won't suddenly become controllable.  The WH will try bunkering down and sticking their fingers in all leaks, but it will then become like a pressure cooker.  With no steam release valve, we know what happens.  Trump is the ongoing stove fire, and all the people around him are the boiling water in the pressure cooker.   The cooker itself is the WH trying to stop leaks.

There's already been leaks and I want to see the General stop Trump's kids from coming in and talking with Dad rump.  I wonder how long the General will last until he either resigns in disgust or Trump no longer likes him.

The irony of all this chaos is that the US faces grave external threats and internal inaction that places it at risk economically.  Trump needs to get with the program but his narcissistic personality keeps overriding the right thing to do and the agenda to propagate. Trump could become a hero if he went to a single payer healthcare system; stopped the absurd deportations and border wall; and allowed the Congress to work on Tax reform and infrastructure. Trump doesn't seem to realize what Americans really need and want. It is always about him and what he wants.  Again, all the symptoms of a narcissistic personality disorder.

14 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Another similarity with Nixon:  Soon after Nixon put General Alexander Haig as Chief of Staff to replace a politician, the Watergate unraveling accelerated.   Generals are good as some things (giving and getting orders) but are usually clueless when it comes to the intricacies of politics.

"Generals are good as some things (giving and getting orders) but are usually clueless when it comes to the intricacies of politics."

Good ol' Al Haig.

Being a General and then Secretary of State at the time, he didn't even know the chain of command in the White House.

Remember this gem?

The more I see of the Trump family, the scarier they are.  Here's today's interview on Sean Hannity's show (yea, I know, I also wonder how I even found that drivel online).  It's with Eric Trump.  Both Eric and Don Jr talk like they're robotrons with their motors turned up to max.   They talk fast, loud and monotone, only praising their dad while putting everyone who doesn't praise dad, down. And all the while, they've got zero soul behind their voices or eyes or body movements.   

Are they human or are they robotrons crafted in a basement somewhere?  Seriously.  If I were casting a WWII movie where I needed two gestapo gatekeepers at a concentration camp, I wouldn't cast them, because they're too cold hearted.  I'd want mean and cruel men, but with at least a modicum of human spark in their being.

Edited by boomerangutang

33 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

The more I see of the Trump family, the scarier they are.

Here's today's interview on Sean Hannity's show (yea, I know, I also wonder how I even found that drivel online).

It's with Eric Trump.  Both Eric and Don Jr talk like they're robotrons with their motors turned up to max.   

They talk fast, loud and monotone, only praising their dad while putting everyone who doesn't praise dad, down.

And all the while, they've got zero soul behind their voices or eyes or body movements.   

Are they human or are they robotrons crafted in a basement somewhere?  Seriously.  

If I were casting a WWII movie where I needed two gestapo gatekeepers at a concentration camp, I wouldn't cast them, because they're too cold hearted.

I'd want mean and cruel men, but with at least a modicum of human spark in their being.

Yes. Robotrons.

Also notice, now that Gomer is in hiding, they've sent in Goober.

With the disgraceful bootlicker Hannity fawning and pandering and agreeing with everything Goober says.

Extreme-Bias is too tame of a label for him.

Hannity must know he inadvertently contributed to the massive chaos going on inside the White House.

After all, it was he who attended the secret dinner at the White House that was leaked.

The Mooch goes ballistic, loses his mind during an interview triggering the exit of Priebus and himself as well.

Well done Sean. :thumbsup:

Speaking of misleading the public. There's a great story here about White House possibly colluding with Fox News to promote the fake Seth Rich conspiracy theory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/08/01/a-timeline-of-the-explosive-lawsuit-alleging-a-white-house-link-in-the-seth-rich-conspiracy/?utm_term=.931289832ba6&wpisrc=nl_most-draw16&wpmm=1

10 hours ago, Thaidream said:

There's already been leaks and I want to see the General stop Trump's kids from coming in and talking with Dad rump.  I wonder how long the General will last until he either resigns in disgust or Trump no longer likes him.

The irony of all this chaos is that the US faces grave external threats and internal inaction that places it at risk economically.  Trump needs to get with the program but his narcissistic personality keeps overriding the right thing to do and the agenda to propagate. Trump could become a hero if he went to a single payer healthcare system; stopped the absurd deportations and border wall; and allowed the Congress to work on Tax reform and infrastructure. Trump doesn't seem to realize what Americans really need and want. It is always about him and what he wants.  Again, all the symptoms of a narcissistic personality disorder.

That didn’t last long: so much for Gen. John Kelly being able to keep Donald Trump in line

That didn’t take long. One day after retired General John F. Kelly took over the White House Chief of Staff job with the presumptive promise of bringing order to chaos, it’s already become clear that he can’t bring order to Donald Trump himself. Trump woke up this morning, and as if to rebel against his own decision to hire the straight-laced Kelly, he let loose with a whole new kind of rabid ranting.

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/john-kelly-rabid-donald-trump/4134/

11 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Yes which is a mental disorder/illness (narcissism). He is clearly mentally ill; needs to be removed.

8 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Speaking of misleading the public. There's a great story here about White House possibly colluding with Fox News to promote the fake Seth Rich conspiracy theory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/08/01/a-timeline-of-the-explosive-lawsuit-alleging-a-white-house-link-in-the-seth-rich-conspiracy/?utm_term=.931289832ba6&wpisrc=nl_most-draw16&wpmm=1

I read about that and if true, is pretty darn outrageous.  Regardless of whether there was collusion, the fact that a major news network like Fox would deliberately create and push fake news should be journalistic suicide.  And that scumbag Sean Hannity was heavily pushing this fake news, even when the family of the deceased implored him not to.  But the suggestion that Trump was also pushing that story is quite believable.

Any denial from the WH is meaningless.  They freakin lie non-stop.  Here's one about that speech Trump gave to the Boy Scouts.  The guy will absolutely lie about anything and everything.

[President Donald Trump told the Wall Street Journal that after his controversial speech at the Boy Scouts National Jamboree in West Virginia, the head of the Boy Scouts called him and told him it was "the greatest speech that was ever made to them." But the organization told TIME they are unaware of any call from national leadership placed to the White House.]

http://time.com/4883422/donald-trump-boy-scouts-wall-street-journal-transcript/?xid=homepage

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I read about that and if true, is pretty darn outrageous.  Regardless of whether there was collusion, the fact that a major news network like Fox would deliberately create and push fake news should be journalistic suicide.  And that scumbag Sean Hannity was heavily pushing this fake news, even when the family of the deceased implored him not to.  But the suggestion that Trump was also pushing that story is quite believable.

Any denial from the WH is meaningless.  They freakin lie non-stop.  Here's one about that speech Trump gave to the Boy Scouts.  The guy will absolutely lie about anything and everything.

[President Donald Trump told the Wall Street Journal that after his controversial speech at the Boy Scouts National Jamboree in West Virginia, the head of the Boy Scouts called him and told him it was "the greatest speech that was ever made to them." But the organization told TIME they are unaware of any call from national leadership placed to the White House.]

http://time.com/4883422/donald-trump-boy-scouts-wall-street-journal-transcript/?xid=homepage

"the fact that a major news network like Fox would deliberately create and push fake news should be journalistic suicide."

Not really, they have been doing it for years.