Ubc Moving Address Farce!

ashacat

After moving apartment from one condo to another in Bangkok last month, I have just called UBC to get them to change their computer details so that my bills are sent to my new address.

Although I moved the box myself and have been watchin UBC in my new place now for the last few weeks, they want to charge me 2,600 Baht, just for them to change their computer details so my monthly bills are delivered to my new address!!!!!!!!! :o

I then asked how much it would cost to cancel my existing subscription and start a new one... 2,000 Baht! Yes it's cheaper :D

Are they taking the piss?!! Is there any way that I can live in my new place and pay my UBC subscriptions without the barcoded bills?

Has anyone else experienced this farce?

You do not need the bar code bill but you do need your statement number - when I have not received have called them and they will fax a copy. Expect they would get onto you after a few months of doing that.

Believe you should have canceled and applied if this is cable box as they are listed to a specific outlet in a specific location. And when you cancel perhaps they will be able to find damage (scratch will be enough) and bill you for it.

I had yes, UBC is the biggest rip-off man that you can live without, I had them for a few months then I had to move from condo to condo and that was the problem, they wanted to charge me like 2500 baht just to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after that I gave up on them, there are other service providers out there and cheaper too. They like to charge peolpe alot of money and I dont think there service was good other then a few channels I liked watching . goodluck and if you gonna keep them I dont know of anyway to change that barcoded info unless you wanna cough up the 2k baht, but they are taking the piss on you bigtime, you might be able to pay but wont have the bill( try and go to a walk-in center see what they say but dont mentioned you moved to pay the bill ), Im thinking of getting a black box lol.

Yeah I agree, they are totally taking the piss because they know they can get away with it.

I really don't want to pay them 2,600 for nothing!! I think I might try Lopburi's suggestion of getting them to fax me a bill every month!! lol

Edited by ashacat

I just called UBC again to ask them to fax me a bill.

The person I spoke to this time said that they are able to take the monthly subscription directly from a credit card, thus negating the need for a bill.

Is this the answer? hmmm.

I just called UBC again to ask them to fax me a bill.

The person I spoke to this time said that they are able to take the monthly subscription directly from a credit card, thus negating the need for a bill.

Is this the answer? hmmm.

This is what my wife and I do, with most of our bills. We had gotten tired of running to 711 for every little one. Now, all the bills are charged directly to the credit card, and we pay one bill per month.

Easy

Strange? 2 months ago I changed the billing address to my newly rented PO Box, over the phone, without any charge or problems. At least now I get the bulls#it monthly magazine where as before it was getting nicked.

I will admit if I had a 2nd choice I would dump UBC. It is way overpriced and 90% of the programming is crap.

Thats not a bad idea bdenner, see if I can change the correspondace address and claim that I am still living in my old place, perhaps I could get the bill sent to my work address or a PO Box, cos I do miss the magasine with all the latest fast food deals.

What are the alternatives to UBC, if you want a few goodish channels? I met a guy the other night who talked about the installation of a dish on the roof of your condo, which takes channels directly via satelite, and you don't pay monthly. Obviously you'd have to get the condo to agree to buy the dish etc, (and get owners to contribute). Anyone else heard of this? I agree UBC is very expensive for what you get, and on top of the THB2,000 whatever, another THB900 for the NHK channel is totally discriminitory against Japanese.

I have just found UBC's official explaination as to why they charge this money...

Q7 Why is the payment of Baht 2,700 still necessary when I relocate or move the equipment myself?

A7 Normally, when relocating the reception equipment, the UBC Customer Service Center must be notified in advance. However, in cases when the member has already relocated the equipment himself, there could still be inconsistencies in the installation or the reception is not crystal clear. The requirement of the Baht 2,700 relocation fee includes a professional installation service, a warranty on the picture quality, and after sales service without any additional charges. (Except in cases where there is loss of equipment or equipment damage where the member is held responsible). This can be done online by just clicking add/move/remove an outlet. :o

What a load of rubbish. When they have got you as a customer and they know that there are very few alteratives, they screw you :D

I thought about UBC for about 2 seconds then decided I should stick with my 300bht per month cable service. Television is certainly not worth the amount of money you guys pay for UBC each month.

I really want to add "suckers" but I do not feel it would be within my allowance as a mod. :o

I dont know about UBC, but I had true hispeed connection. Once I changed my condo from one building to the other and I had to pay 1,600 Baht, for almost nothing, they changed the line within 5 mins, without involving any big technicality.

Then I moved the condo again at the end of that year and I wen there to discuss the issue as follows:

Me: I would like to change the condo, how much should I pay for this.

Lady: 1,600 Baht

Me: OK, what if I want to end the service?

Lady: You have to pay 5,000 baht

Me: But my contract will be over in 15 days, u should mark it for deletion

Lady: Its not possible, u have to come on the day when the contract will be over

Me: OK, block my phone.

Lady: You have to give an application with the passport copy

Me: OK, here it is. I want a new connection

Same Lady: You have to apply through ur condo

Me: OK, thanx a lot :D

I just wonder, when I was willing to pay my 15 days bill, why did she refuse to block the phone n internet service? After 15 days, I went there n ended my contract. Got the new connection through building by paying additional 100 baht. So far everything is OK. :o

But the lesson I learnt is that never ask in Thailand, just do it. Coz when u ask they will not allow u, but if u do it, they will never say anything. This, of course, applies to legal things only.

Now, I am going to cancel this subscription n will get the new one soon.

For payment of bill, the new subscription had the wrong address, no problem, I goto true shop n pay the bill there, without getting any bills at my place. As some other posters said, that u should charge it to ur credit card directly. :D

• 3 weeks later...
posts related to pirate cable deleted.

Samran I had no idea that responding to someone's mention of an alternative to UBC

or TRUE as it is now known violated forum rules and I apologize !

But I assume then we are allowed to ask other members for advice regarding alternatives

to TRUE ? I am currently paying for the Platinum package which is a lot

compared to other cable companies I have used in other countries in the past.

Today ( or last night ) TRUE have changed all the channel numbers

I have been unable to get any international news channels. In addition to this when I have tried

throughout today to telephone the Service Center to ask about this I have had continually had a

message saying it is not possible to reach this number!

I hate being held to ransom - I'm prepared to pay whatever for quality

and I don't mind paying good money for a good

service but I think there must be better alternatives?

what samran deleted was reference to illegally accessing cable tv channels. the alternative cable companies that some members mentioned that cost 300bht a month is a different thing. this is available in some areas of bangkok, but the channels on offer are not the big international channels. for instance many of the sports channel are not included, so almost pointless for me

midas..

i have had the same problem with the re-tuning of UBC today..

i eventually got through to the service centre..

there are instructions on page 74 of the Jan UBC magazine on how to retune your box.

i have done this.....however the box continues to require re-tuning if i flick round between channels....

super stuff....

midas..

i have had the same problem with the re-tuning of UBC today..

i eventually got through to the service centre..

there are instructions on page 74 of the Jan UBC magazine on how to retune your box.

i have done this.....however the box continues to require re-tuning if i flick round between channels....

super stuff....

bunch of amateurs :o

What are the alternatives to UBC, if you want a few goodish channels? I met a guy the other night who talked about the installation of a dish on the roof of your condo, which takes channels directly via satelite, and you don't pay monthly. Obviously you'd have to get the condo to agree to buy the dish etc, (and get owners to contribute). Anyone else heard of this? I agree UBC is very expensive for what you get, and on top of the THB2,000 whatever, another THB900 for the NHK channel is totally discriminitory against Japanese.

Look around where you live, the telephone poles are always full of local cable providers adverts/stickers. Usually around 300 baht/month. They ll usually send you a channel list when their collector is in the neighbourhood.

For the guy who said UBC was a ripoff, he's probably right. However, if you have the money and it doesn't really hurt you financially, why not do it? UBC has the best and widest selection of channels, which really isn't much, and for the amount of channels the bill is too high. But, if you want to watch football every week, for instance I want to watch Liverpool every week, it's a great service to have. They show just about every Premiership game on ESPN and Star Sports every week. Some of them are delayed to later in the week, but the big teams almost always are live or delayed an hour or two. I'm not British but I understand you can't get this even in England. So, it's good for the sports and the rest is just fluff. But, like I say, if you have the money then it's not going to affect you too much. It didn't bother me because I was happy to get so many matches.

At least you are able to receive it. Ours was discontinued at the beginning of December and i haven't managed to get reconnected. The problem is bills. We haven't had one, the woman at the support desk said they had been sent out, we don't have access to a fax machine, she won't email it.............................

I actually think UBC is pretty good. There is a broad range of content, and the radio channels are excellent also. I have also found their customer service to be decent in most areas, perhaps communication and English language for western customers could be improved?

alternatives to UBC:

1.satellite dish with C & Ku band: cost between 20-30K, you will be able to receive most channels as UBC.

No monthly payments, there have been many postings about this already

2.satellite dish with internet: much cheaper (less than 10K) but you need internet connections, all the UBC channels on this one with thai subtitles, yearly fee of around 3000 baht.

Do a search on this forum about satellites and you will get all the info you need