Three students taken to hospital after attack by teacher for uniform violation

webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before I condemn him I'd like to know how big the piece of wood was. When I was a kid our teachers used to hit us on the head with board rulers, sometimes books.

I don't blame them, we were delinquents. Talking about the 1950s Liverpool, England.

Edited by jesimps

When I was at school we used to get Saturday or Sunday detentions for minor infractions. Most teachers had a lump of two by four for classroom discipline. I never forget the time the headmaster set the dogs loose on our whole class because some kid sneezed. Once I got caned 12 times because my shirt was the wrong regulation blue colour.

Kids these days have got it easy! A whack on the head for wearing the wrong uniform? In my day we'd get a whack on the head just for breathing too heavily in class. I had so many whacks by the end of the day I could barely see. Then my parents would whack me when I got home again. Aaah, the good old days.

I can remember many many years ago in the UK the teacher caught me talking to a class mate during his lesson, he threw a chalk eraser with a wooden handle at me (I was 8 at the time) it hit my head and I cried in pain, his reaction was ''stop being such a sissy'' My mother asked me about the lump on my head when I told her she said ''serves you right'' How things have moved on, although having said that I think that discipline in farang land schools has gone too far down. Taking 'the book and the cane' to the headmaster for 4 wacks on the hand worked wonders then. it wasn't the pain, that was minimal, but the humiliation which made one think twice.

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Are they forced to join the Scouts, or is it just forcing them to wear the uniform one day a week in School, if so why? Pity Thai parents how many silly outfilts do they have to buy for the fancy dress parade anyway, at our local School they even have to dress up in sleep wear on Fridays, madness.

I was thinking the same thing. 

I've never worked out what the kids in Thai schools learn during scout day. It certainly can't be map reading as I have yet to find a Thai that can read a map!

Anyone able to elucidate? Maybe a teacher or someone with kids at a Thai school?

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

a bit over the top teach    !     he needs suspension and  a damn good roasting by the head of the school.

Not suspended - sacked! If he had caned them for not wearing the right uniform that would have been bad enough, but to actually "whack them on the head with a stick" (and 21 of them in total - unbelievable!) he could easily be facing manslaughter/murder charges. And what hope is there for the future of this country when the young are taught by such idiots who practice violence in such a callous way?

1 hour ago, Blinky62 said:

So don't worry about Thai Visa with there little military based secret policeman , get a photo of this bastard that bashes kids on the head with a stick , and a photo of the school and plaster it all over Facebook . Teacher and school will be sorted in a couple of days . Yes the big man thought he could ban FB , no your not quite that powerful . Not yet like North Korea .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Give him time ( the big man ) he's working on it .. And somehow even for all its failings I think you'd prefer this place to N K .. But you're right social media does allow everyone the opportunity to throw sh*t at the fan .. But how much of this can be controlled is the hallmark of a true " obedient " society ( see N K , China Zim's etc ) .. 

11 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I've never worked out what the kids in Thai schools learn during scout day. It certainly can't be map reading as I have yet to find a Thai that can read a map!

Anyone able to elucidate? Maybe a teacher or someone with kids at a Thai school?

I asked my son what they learned in scouts last week he said " we learn how to stand in a line"

Unfortunately most Thais forget this training as soon as they enter a 7-11

Edited by Idiotabroad

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

Not suspended - sacked! If he had caned them for not wearing the right uniform that would have been bad enough, but to actually "whack them on the head with a stick" (and 21 of them in total - unbelievable!) he could easily be facing manslaughter/murder charges. And what hope is there for the future of this country when the young are taught by such idiots who practice violence in such a callous way?

And again, why the education minister silent on this disgraceful event?

And why no comment or action from anybody in regard to the fact this teacher, and many others, are breaking specific Thai laws which totally bans teachers from caning or anything similar?

Edited by scorecard

I remember a movie where the soviets invaded the US they described scouts as "paramilitary training organizations" I was a scout, but now I can see some truth to that statement.

"The Scout Promise. On my honour I promise that I will do my best— To do my duty to God and the King (or to God and my Country) To help other people at all times and. To obey the Scout Law."

I understand the image of the scout salute, (index finger center finger & ring fingers raised) is illegal here as it has a different meaning. 

12 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I asked my Thai son (now 36 yrs old) this question last night.

His answer 'nothing', we just sit under some trees for 1 to 2 hours and talk among ourselves and buy snacks and noodles from school mini mart, most of the time no teacher present and if teacher is present just talks about football or whatever. 

1 hour ago, jonesthebaker said:

and in your understanding that would be right?

Not necessarily right no .. But that is how they tend to settle things here sometimes .. Anger managment and restraint are not qualities that abound here .. The events of the last few years should illustrate that when push comes to shove violence ( or the implied threat of ) will always get the problem sorted  .. 

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Before I condemn him I'd like to know how big the piece of wood was. When I was a kid our teachers used to hit us on the head with board rulers, sometimes books.

I don't blame them, we were delinquents. Talking about the 1950s Liverpool, England.

Big enough to warrant 3 kids to be taken to hospital!

"When I was a kid our teachers used to hit us on the head with board rulers, sometimes books." Does that make it right?

Twenty-one kids assaulted and three hospitalised after being whacked over the head with a stick? The serial beater responsible has no right to be teaching anyone until they have learned the lesson that bullying by adults, as well as children, is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

He or she deserves to be instantly dismissed from their job and the profession, brought before a court and given a stiff sentence for assault and battery. And if I were the parents, I would hire a lawyer and sue both the teacher and school in a civil court for punitive damages.

Making examples of the rotten apples in the state education barrel would show that the Government is serious about upholding the specific Thai legislation,  passed nearly a decade ago, which bans corporal punishment in state schools without prior parental consent. Right now they simply pay lip service to the toothless law.

How sadly ironic to witness educators and police this week wringing their hands over their well-publicised failure to curb the violent and often lethal clashes between teenage students at further education colleges. Where on earth do they imagine these kids got the idea that violence at school was acceptable if not from the cane-wielding mentors of their formative years.?

Edited by Krataiboy

9 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Twenty-on kids assaulted and three hospitalised after being whacked over the head with a stick? The serial beater responsible has no right to be teaching anyone until he has learned the lesson that bullying by adults, as well as children, is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

He  or she deserves to be brought before a court and given a stiff sentence for assault and battery. And if I were the parents, I would hire a lawyer and sue both the teacher and school in a civil court for punitive damages.

Making examples of the rotten apples in the state education barrel would at least go some way to showing the Government is serious about upholding the  specific Thai law,  passed nearly a decade ago, which forbids corporal punishment being administered without parental consent. Right now, all the evidence is to the contrary.

It is ironic to see educators and police are wringing their hands in mock despair at their well-publicised failure to curb the violent and often lethal clashes between students at further education colleges. Where do they imagine these kids got the idea that violence was acceptable if not from the schools they attended in their most formative years?

I'm 65.  We were beat with sticks, rulers, books, straps and the occasional flying black board eraser in grammar school and high school.  I went on to "Med" school.

Edited by joeyg

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I'm 65.  We were beat with sticks, rulers, books, straps and the occasional flying black board eraser in grammar school and high school.  I went on to "Med" school.

And your point, other than to solicit the sympathy which your experiences clearly warrant, is?

4 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

And your point, other than to solicit the sympathy which your experiences clearly warrant, is?

"Spare the rod spoil the child"  And wrong, I'm not looking for sympathy.  Never crossed my mind really...

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

My son has a blur shirt and blue track suit bottoms on Monday and Thursday, white shirt and brown shorts on Tuesday and Friday and scout uniforms on Wednesday. This however can change. This week it has been blue shirt and blue track suit bottoms for 4 days and white shirt/brown shorts today. He has 2 sets of blues, 5 of white and brown and 1 scout set. My washing machine earned it keep this week.

My head is already spinning just reading this... :shock1:

I take his point to be that he came out of it the other side with no terrible side effects.  

That having been said, this "teacher" was clearly out of control, or had lost control (or his temper, probably both) to assault 21 children under his care, occasioning three to seek hospital treatment.

I was a product of the Grammar School system too, back in the day and we had the occasional wack with a ruler, the old classic blackboard eraser thrown in our direction (bloody good shots, most Grammar School teachers!).  It did me no harm, kept me mostly on the right side of the "detention line" and, as a previous poster mentioned, the embarrassment and the likelihood of our parents adding to the punishment, served as a pretty good deterrent, as it was supposed to.

However, should some teacher, Thai or farang, take so much as a feather to my girls, I would likely end up at the nick myself.

We also wore uniforms, shirt and tie for boys.  Blouse and different style neck/bow tie for girls.  we did have a short pants option in the summer.  High school was shirt, tie and sport jacket.  I was taught by Jesuits that beat the crap out of us.  The nuns didn't do too badly either.  I hated the ear twisting thing.  that was an "attitude adjustment."

Just now, joeyg said:

"Spare the rod spoil the child"  And wrong, I'm not looking for sympathy.  Never crossed my mind really...

I, too, got the living daylights beaten out of me at school. But it never crossed my mind that the physical abuse I suffered was beneficial to either my ability to learn or my subsequent career.

If you have any credible evidence that the "spare the rod. . . " adage has any tangible merit, I for one would like to know of it.

I, too, got the living daylights beaten out of me at school. But it never crossed my mind that the physical abuse I suffered was beneficial to either my ability to learn or my subsequent career.

If you have any credible evidence that the "spare the rod. . . " adage has any tangible merit, I for one would like to know of it.

Well I'm living proof...

39 minutes ago, saminoz said:

I take his point to be that he came out of it the other side with no terrible side effects.  

That having been said, this "teacher" was clearly out of control, or had lost control (or his temper, probably both) to assault 21 children under his care, occasioning three to seek hospital treatment.

I was a product of the Grammar School system too, back in the day and we had the occasional wack with a ruler, the old classic blackboard eraser thrown in our direction (bloody good shots, most Grammar School teachers!).  It did me no harm, kept me mostly on the right side of the "detention line" and, as a previous poster mentioned, the embarrassment and the likelihood of our parents adding to the punishment, served as a pretty good deterrent, as it was supposed to.

However, should some teacher, Thai or farang, take so much as a feather to my girls, I would likely end up at the nick myself.

"That having been said, this "teacher" was clearly out of control, or had lost control (or his temper, probably both) to assault 21 children under his care, occasioning three to seek hospital treatment."

I take that a little further. Seems to me that everybody (teachers included) can lose control of themselves (not saying it' s OK,  but surely after hitting the first kid / maybe hitting 2 kids, most would quickly realize what they have just done and also quickly regain some control and quickly stop.

In this disgraceful incident the teacher continued for 21 kids. Would be interesting to hear an analysis from a trained well experienced psychologist as to what was possibly going in this 'teachers' thinking to continue to savagely hit 21 kids.  

(Not suggesting it's OK or in any circumstance acceptable.)