Three students taken to hospital after attack by teacher for uniform violation

webfact

On 8/4/2017 at 0:26 PM, Orton Rd said:

Time parents got together and refused to buy into this uniform brainwashing nonsense, marching about to nationalist music, bowing and scrapping, it will all go eventually. No need for any more than one uniform, if that, and sports kit.

It's like living in a country full of brainwashed, zombie-like people incapable of thinking outside the box. Until they can break the shackles nothing will change. The acceptance of the norm is scary and the government will not offer a way out because this makes their job of governance (a word I use lightly) so much easier.

Unfortunately the people live in a country where revolt and change is not tolerated from the grass roots so I am understanding of why we don't see a lot of it. 

While these so called educators and others are allowed to operate with apparent impunity for this kind of treatment of it's citizens this country will continue to fall behind the rest of it's regional neighbors. Criminal charges should be laid but this won't happen. At best a wai and an apology.  Another wasted skin and oxygen thief.

I only wish kharma was for real.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

A bit over the top steven where are your morals on life.

You do not hit or in this case attack children unless you are an animal and there seems to be a few in that league. dam good roasting you say if it had been one of my kids he wouuld never teach again that is for sure.

I think I will give your posts a miss in future as I cannot learn anything

please don't refrain from reading my future posts just because of a slight disagreement with one subject.  I know where you are coming from and in part I agree.

2 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

It's like living in a country full of brainwashed, zombie-like people incapable of thinking outside the box. Until they can break the shackles nothing will change. The acceptance of the norm is scary and the government will not offer a way out because this makes their job of governance (a word I use lightly) so much easier.

Unfortunately the people live in a country where revolt and change is not tolerated from the grass roots so I am understanding of why we don't see a lot of it. 

While these so called educators and others are allowed to operate with apparent impunity for this kind of treatment of it's citizens this country will continue to fall behind the rest of it's regional neighbors. Criminal charges should be laid but this won't happen. At best a wai and an apology.  Another wasted skin and oxygen thief.

Karma is real.  What goes around does come around. Fortunately...

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

please don't refrain from reading my future posts just because of a slight disagreement with one subject.  I know where you are coming from and in part I agree.

I agree and slightly disagree with both these posts.

Just now, Zack61 said:

We are living in Thailand, not in farangland, you go with the flow. Once when taking my son to school the teacher noticed that my son (then 8) didn't give me a wai as a goodbye greeting. He asked me why and I said as a farang that is the way we do things,my son say's goodbye and that's it. He replied that we live in Thailand and although my son is a luk krung he is Thai and will have to live here and adapt to the way of life here. I thought about it and agreed,it was a small thing why rebel. The next day my son gave me a quick wai,throwing his hands behind his shoulders, the teacher laughed came over to me and said that sort of wai is an insult actually but well it's a start.

I agree and slightly disagree with both these posts.

Might I suggest then that you only read every other line?
[emoji3]

Cereal  Shame on you and your attitude. Most people In Thailand are not very rich and getting

special school uniforms are not what they can afford. You have money in your pockets all right

and forget that this is Thailand.  Remember That Please.

Geezer

Nothing new here, same old samo, local school here has teachers sitting around at lunch drinking beer and whisky in front of the students, not to mention male teachers walking around in lunch area smoking, so much for the government  trying to promote anti smoking , anti violence and drink driving campaigns. Lets educate them correctly from day one in school. Start sacking the dead wood and clamp down on teachers not setting the example.

"Mama smoking and drinking is OK, the teachers do it all the time"

Maybe 100 years from now something might change for the better, I say 100 years because as we all know things don't happen here too quick!

On 04/08/2017 at 9:07 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

There was no report about the teacher being suspended in the Daily News story :shock1:

(Sarcastic mode ON)
I read somewhere that he was not convicted for ant wrongdoing and was teaching again the next day......................
(Sarcastic mode OFF).

6 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

(Sarcastic mode ON)
I read somewhere that he was not convicted for ant wrongdoing and was teaching again the next day......................
(Sarcastic mode OFF).

Did he also harm ants?  I thought it was children that were savagely attacked...

On 8/4/2017 at 9:19 AM, steven100 said:

a bit over the top teach    !     he needs suspension and  a damn good roasting by the head of the school.

Why?

The teacher was just following the normal manner of behaving here in Thai schools.

Not saying it's right. Just saying, it is what it is.

11 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Cereal  Shame on you and your attitude. Most people In Thailand are not very rich and getting

special school uniforms are not what they can afford. You have money in your pockets all right

and forget that this is Thailand.  Remember That Please.

Geezer

Yes I have noticed that many villagers where I live have to go to the pawn shop when a new term starts,especially if they have two or more children. Apart from the school uniforms,there are costs for new books,school fees (supposed to be free but it isn't) accident insurance for school trips etc. It's a costly business.

3 hours ago, Cereal said:

What's so difficult about wearing the proper uniform? I teach at a private school and the uniform thing is a regular challenge with certain students. Wear what you're supposed to. 

As to the falang parents who have a problem with this, you had the kids in that country by choice, deal with it or home school or send your kid to England or wherever to get an education. Stop whinging. You have choices and "go home if you don't like it" doesn't have to be one.

It's like living here and constantly complaining about all the freaking rice.

Yes the teacher was way out of line. Who knows how bad the injuries were, it could have been a little redness the way Thais go on about incredibly minor things. But, it all boils down to simply doing what you're supposed to do which is part of the deal when attending or working for certain institutions.

We're not exactly living in a bastion of creative free-thinkers here. Wear the stinking uniform exactly as it should be and teach the kids about group-think and individuality after school. Use 'joining in' as a lesson in cultural idealism.

I have no objection to my son wearing school uniform but my problem is when he comes home and tells me the the dress code has changed tomorrow and the next day by the school.

It annoys me but I can handle it. What poorer parents would do I have no idea if they dont have enough uniforms or they have 2 or 3 children in different schools, kindergarten, primary school and high school at the same time.

21 minutes ago, eeyang wah said:

You're right that kids are lacking discipline these days. But I'd say there's a slight difference between discipline and hitting 21 children on the head for no good reason, hospitalising 3 of them. Wouldn't you?

Yes I already said that...

On 8/4/2017 at 9:19 AM, steven100 said:

a bit over the top teach    !     he needs suspension and  a damn good roasting by the head of the school.

Well, I think a discussion behind closed door with the Parents would suffice. 
He would loose any desire to hit children, or even go near children, depending on the hardness of arguments thrown into the discussion.

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

Did he also harm ants?  I thought it was children that were savagely attacked...

My type of humour - where a typo can cause a bit of a giggle - unfortunately some posters don't agree, and can't laugh at their own mistakes - they make a song and dance and start dishing out the insults, and take it to a purely personal level - not needed or asked for!

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have no objection to my son wearing school uniform but my problem is when he comes home and tells me the the dress code has changed tomorrow and the next day by the school.

It annoys me but I can handle it. What poorer parents would do I have no idea if they dont have enough uniforms or they have 2 or 3 children in different schools, kindergarten, primary school and high school at the same time.

I can understand your annoyance! I went to Grammar School (many years ago), and we had one uniform that varied slightly from Summer to Winter. I was proud to wear that uniform, as both of my elder brothers had gone to the same school (11 Plus days) And no, I didn't wear "hand -me - downs! But it was expensive, as it had to be bought from a recommended school supplier. The main "logic" of course was to set you apart from the crowd, and at first I took a bit of ribbing from my friends who had "failed", but this soon abated.

The other "logic" became apparent many years later, when (in my town, anyway) the 11Plus was abandoned, and the Grammar School was close to follow on, and with it the school uniform. The next thing to happen was that the teenagers were subjected to mass media advertising (when I was at school possession of a TV was a rarity - and it was black and white - BBC only!) IMHO, hence began the "keeping up with the Jones' " - teenage style. Everything they wore had to be 'Designer Label", bought at great expense, and the next week (for example) Levi's were "out" and Wranglers were "in"  - just listen to The Kinks - Dedicated Follower of Fashion.

The point I am (eventually!) making is that if a school uniform is mandatory, provided it is just that - A school uniform, and not a different one for every day of the week, then it is cheaper than trying to send a child dressed as a prospective catwalk model to school!

Edited by sambum

On 8/4/2017 at 9:05 AM, NCC1701A said:

this country is not salvageable.

Sadly, you're right.

It's going to take several generations before there is even a shimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Even then, without education they won't progress. No one alive today will be around to see a change happen.

Without a miracle I imagine the future of Thailand looks a little like Somalia.

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

Sadly, you're right.

It's going to take several generations before there is even a shimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Even then, without education they won't progress. No one alive today will be around to see a change happen.

Without a miracle I imagine the future of Thailand looks a little like Somalia.

Somalis would rank higher on common sense.... 

5 hours ago, sambum said:

I can understand your annoyance! I went to Grammar School (many years ago), and we had one uniform that varied slightly from Summer to Winter. I was proud to wear that uniform, as both of my elder brothers had gone to the same school (11 Plus days) And no, I didn't wear "hand -me - downs! But it was expensive, as it had to be bought from a recommended school supplier. The main "logic" of course was to set you apart from the crowd, and at first I took a bit of ribbing from my friends who had "failed", but this soon abated.

The other "logic" became apparent many years later, when (in my town, anyway) the 11Plus was abandoned, and the Grammar School was close to follow on, and with it the school uniform. The next thing to happen was that the teenagers were subjected to mass media advertising (when I was at school possession of a TV was a rarity - and it was black and white - BBC only!) IMHO, hence began the "keeping up with the Jones' " - teenage style. Everything they wore had to be 'Designer Label", bought at great expense, and the next week (for example) Levi's were "out" and Wranglers were "in"  - just listen to The Kinks - Dedicated Follower of Fashion.

The point I am (eventually!) making is that if a school uniform is mandatory, provided it is just that - A school uniform, and not a different one for every day of the week, then it is cheaper than trying to send a child dressed as a prospective catwalk model to school!

Actually the uniforms are not that expensive and the local markets sell most of them. So for me with one child and a reasonable income it is not a big problem, but for some Thais with 2 or 3 children in different schools it can be a BIG problem.

6 hours ago, sambum said:

My type of humour - where a typo can cause a bit of a giggle - unfortunately some posters don't agree, and can't laugh at their own mistakes - they make a song and dance and start dishing out the insults, and take it to a purely personal level - not needed or asked for!

3 defenseless children in hospital!

Why would anybody laugh at the event?

8 minutes ago, balo said:

I'm so happy I don't have kids in Thailand. It would be a nightmare to think about what could happen in the school here. 

My son has been in 2 kindergartens, 3 junior  schools and is now in M1, his first year at high school and there have been no problems so far. Not too bad for 9 years at school.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

My son has been in 2 kindergartens, 3 junior  schools and is now in M1, his first year at high school and there have been no problems so far. Not too bad for 9 years at school.

That's great. But I think that too many people are seemingly willing to 'overlook' what may be a minority of school/teacher practices regarding unacceptable punishments. Kids are the most vulnerable members of ANY society and when adults abuse them (whether it is for cultural reasons or otherwise) those practices should be challenged and changed. To any decent member of society, child abuse is not acceptable. Societies and the people in them move forward by recognising many better ways of doing things for the benefit of all not just for the few and not falling back on the old status quo practices. Beating students which causes hospitalisation is NOT acceptable in a modern educated society. Thailand, (along with many others) for all its otherwise acceptable lifestyle attractions, is NOT a modern educated caring society. There cannot be any excuse for not trying to improve. And the desire for Thailand 4.0 does not make the grade either.. :post-4641-1156693976:  

Edited by lvr181
Grammar correcion

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

Actually the uniforms are not that expensive and the local markets sell most of them. So for me with one child and a reasonable income it is not a big problem, but for some Thais with 2 or 3 children in different schools it can be a BIG problem.

Yes, I was making the statement in reference to the situation in the UK - my apologies for that. And yes, even though the uniforms may be relatively cheap in the local markets, as you say for a Thai family with 2 or 3 children at different schools I can well imagine it to be a big problem financially.

But as you have a child at school, can you tell me why they have to have so many different uniforms? Surely one for "Summer" and one for "Winter" should suffice - although with the climate here being as it is, probably one would be ample!