Prostitution moving to "Facebook Live" as Thai schoolgirls find a way to make cash on the side

rooster59

Prostitution moving to "Facebook Live" as Thai schoolgirls find a way to make cash on the side

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO1Q1TVw4PQ1dLx9Im.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

Thai media have written about an increasing problem in Thai society:

Schoolgirls using Facebook Live to show themselves naked and get money from men online for the service.

Thai Rath said there was a recent high profile case where a schoolgirl tried to get 20,000 baht from the highest bidder for a grope of her breasts.

In that case it appeared that there was to be more than just ogling via the internet and the transfer of money for a service.

Thai Rath in their feature said that an increasing number of teens were going online to make money from baring themselves for cash.

They said it was easy money and easy work. They posed the question as to what influences there were in society and on social media that were causing this phenomenon to take root.

Why were teens taking this option and not doing regular jobs?

They quoted a lawyer as saying that the problem was so widespread that many teens might not think it presented a problem.

But Nitithorn Kaewto said it was something that should not be happening and was dangerous.

"It is prostitution and illegal," he stated, "and it may easily come to be in the realm of human trafficking".

Penalties for human trafficking are severe in Thailand while prostitution may not even be punished.

The lawyer said that teens may see nothing wrong but it constituted a serious crime and the consequences could be dire.

Experts quoted in the feature said that going on something like Facebook Live really was a modern way for teens to make money with prostitution.

Such activity had happened in the past but not through the internet.

And it was time that the authorities caught up to this new expression of prostitution in Thailand that could be damaging to the teens concerned and make them vulnerable to the actions of unscrupulous people.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-05

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...make them vulnerable to the actions of unscrupulous people."

The major difference from what is now happening, is  that these unscrupulous people will be paying them. 

Edited by jaltsc

"Why were teens taking this option and not doing regular jobs?"

Probably because they can make more money for themselves rather than some unscrupulous, under paying employer.  

This method maybe is becoming an issue because it cuts out the middle man as it were, after all it doesn't seem to be a problem per say, when they work in bars.

1 minute ago, daiwill said:

"Why were teens taking this option and not doing regular jobs?"

Probably because they can make more money for themselves rather than some unscrupulous, under paying employer.  

This method maybe is becoming an issue because it cuts out the middle man as it were, after all it doesn't seem to be a problem per say, when they work in bars.

I would consider that progress and an attempt at upward mobility, good for them.

This isn't limited to only Thailand. Fartbook is riddled with girls from many countries, offering this.

The article makes it look like it's a Thai problem but when a Thai girl sees other nations doing the same without punishment, it becomes easy for them to accept as a way of life. Just saying...

Re the article's discussion about the legal offense of human trafficking and the potential penalties for that...

Is it possible for a young woman to traffic herself?  As opposed to being trafficked by other people?

I don't think so, but who knows with the "fluid" shape and enforcement of the laws here.

This article would appear to be about young women exploiting themselves -- not being exploited by others.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re the article's discussion about the legal offense of human trafficking and the potential penalties for that...

Is it possible for a young woman to traffic themselves?  As opposed to being trafficked by other people?

I don't think so, but who knows with the "fluid" shape and enforcement of the laws here.

This article would appear to be about young women exploiting themselves -- not being exploited by others.

I think it is widely acknowledged that free lance prossies are vulnerable to pimps/policemen/organized crime/madmen or any combination of the four.  In other news, ice is wet...

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I would love it if this were to come true. 

Yep its completely changed the Thailand I've known for 25 years plus. People glued to a phone in their hand every waking second

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is it possible for a young woman to traffic herself?  As opposed to being trafficked by other people?

The " fluid " a lot of Thai girls are familar with does'nt take the shape ot law and enforcement .. Unless you count the fluid of a member of law enforcement which apparently some of them ( girls ) do .. Allegedly .. :smile:

15 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I think it is widely acknowledged that free lance prossies are vulnerable to pimps/policemen/organized crime/madmen or any combination of the four.  In other news, ice is wet...

I was talking in legal terms...

In other words, I'm not sure the authorities could prosecute any of the young women engaged in this kind of activity with "human trafficking" if all they're doing is selling themself to others.

For it to be legal human trafficking, I think it means you have to be doing it to SOMEONE ELSE... not just yourself.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

The " fluid " a lot of Thai girls are familar with does'nt take the shape ot law and enforcement .. Unless you count the fluid of a member of law enforcement which apparently some of them ( girls ) do .. Allegedly .. :smile:

I believe it's what you'd call a double entendre. :smile:

15 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

'erm I thought ice was cold and water was wet .. Do ladyboys count as madmen ( thing .! )  in the vunerable list .?  :shock1:

6 ish mnths ago my cousin posted on facebook how proud he was of his teen daughter she saved  bought and insured a car all from a part time job,, i just didnt have the heart ...this isnt just restricted to thailand its everywhere and arguably at 16 they are old enuf to die for their  country the powers to be are cool with letting them take that decision but a relatively harmless one like this.. really if they were truly concerned about criminal exploitation they should  make availiable orgonised areas ect like germany or .maybe its time  for state managed    ' safe ' websites.

3 minutes ago, choff56 said:

Yes, in this case it is.

No smart arse in the spirit of the op old mate tried make it sound like the Thai system was somehow responsible. Like no girls anywhere else in the world are cracking it for money on the net.