Thailand’s Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation Reports Nearly 8000 Killed in Road Accidents this Year

webfact

Thailand’s Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation Reports Nearly 8000 Killed in Road Accidents this Year

873fca7440ff04e99014712bad6a40bd.jpeg.70f8fbed7fddb5d08af848bf87b877af.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK – According to unofficial figures compiled by the Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation, which campaigns against drink-driving, as many as 7,925 people have been killed in road accidents throughout the country from Jan 1 to Aug 5 this year.

Dr Thaejing Siripanich, secretary-general of the foundation, told Daily News online that according to unofficial reports from members of the foundation’s network nationwide, the road-death toll was 947 in January; 850 in February; 1,281 in March; 1,382 in April; 1,124 in May and 1,128 in June.

The six-month death toll was 6,712, compared to 5,308 in the first half of 2016.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-dont-drive-drunk-foundation-reports-nearly-8000-killed-in-road-accidents-this-year.html

changraitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang Rai Times 2017-08-07

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK – According to unofficial figures compiled by the Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation, which campaigns against drink-driving, as many as 7,925 people have been killed in road accidents throughout the country from Jan 1 to Aug 5 this year.

Unofficial? and where are the ' official' figures? 8,000 dead in less than 8 months

is a wholesale madness of a mass killings, while many measures have been put

in place over the years to stop this senseless loss of lives, not many seems to work,

how to get the Thai driver to be more responsible and adhere to road's rules and

drive safely has to be rethink again, and urgently...

"... 7,925 people have been killed in road accidents..."

These are not "accidents". These are CRASHES caused by people who don't know how to drive and supported by the lack of the government requiring proper training and enforcement of driving rules and regulations.

The sequence should be 1)Learn to drive. 2) Pass a proper driving test. 3)Buy a car. 4)Drive

In Thailand, it's 1) Buy a car 2)Buy an amulet. 3) Learn to drive on the crowded roads. 4)Good Luck

Edited by jaltsc

I wonder what PM Prayut will have to say about this shameful achievement. Expect to hear a flow of pompous grandiloquence interspersed with some hurrumphing, blaming and finger wagging. 

While you have to applaud the efforts of groups like the “Don't Drive Drunk Foundation”, the real problem is less drunk drivers than totally incompetent ones, with no knowledge of, or respect for, road laws and other road users.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

I wonder what PM Prayut will have to say about this shameful achievement. Expect to hear a flow of pompous grandiloquence interspersed with some hurrumphing, blaming and finger wagging. 

Like all his PM's before he can't do anything about this.

The deathwish, probably, is ingrained into the Thai psyche, how to get it out baffles everybody.

LOL

Until strick enforcement comes which we all know will not happen more will die.

Good thing they increased the exam question from 70% to 90% passing so that most just bypass and put money in the hands of the issuing idiots and learn nothing. Great work

Funeral business is booming.

Edited by franklnooner

Perhaps calling it a "Don't Drink and Drive" campaign would help. "Don't Drive Drunk" implies that if you're not, or don't think you are drunk then you can drive. I don't think I'm drunk after five large ones, but I am. That said, it probably wouldn't make the slightest difference.

1 hour ago, quadperfect said:

Yea its the thai drivers themselves to blame really. They are suicide drivers mostly. Not 1kilometer can i drive here with out some idiot passing on this side or that side doing 90 k in a 40k .they deseve what they get.

Although I agree entirely with your sentiments about the way many Thais drive, it is unfortunate that many of those that are dead are usually innocent victims who die through the insanity of people like these. They didn't deserve what they got.

1 hour ago, CelticBhoy said:

Still amazes me how cheap car insurance here is given these kind of figures  :shock1:

Thanachart Insurance even pays compensation to two under-age, licenceless boys who lost control and crashed into my stationery car at 90kph.  Do insurance companies have any shareholders?

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

In Thailand, it's 1) Buy a car 2)Buy an amulet. 3) Learn to drive on the crowded roads. 4)Good Luck

In Thailand, it's 1) Buy a car 2)Buy an amulet. 3) Good Luck 4) Learn to drive on the crowded roads.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unofficial? and where are the ' official' figures? 8,000 dead in less than 8 months

is a wholesale madness of a mass killings, while many measures have been put

in place over the years to stop this senseless loss of lives, not many seems to work,

how to get the Thai driver to be more responsible and adhere to road's rules and

drive safely has to be rethink again, and urgently...

I don't believe rethinking is necessary. If police were out patrolling the roads and handing out fines to bad drivers, people's attitude would change. Hit them in the pocketbook and they will "learn".

Well, now that they have the Don't Drive Drunk Foundation they need the following:

Don't Drive Stupid Foundation

Don't Drive Aggressively Foundation

Don't Drive Without Knowing How to Drive Foundation

Don't Allow Anyone To Drive Until The Cops Enforce The Laws Foundation

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"... 7,925 people have been killed in road accidents..."

These are not "accidents". These are CRASHES caused by people who don't know how to drive and supported by the lack of the government requiring proper training and enforcement of driving rules and regulations.

The sequence should be 1)Learn to drive. 2) Pass a proper driving test. 3)Buy a car. 4)Drive

Sorry to disagree with you, but I believe No.3 in Thailand is non-existent. Perhaps it could be modified to: 3) Buy a Drivers Licence

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

"Expect to hear a flow of pompous grandiloquence interspersed with some hurrumphing, blaming and finger wagging." 

You mean it is inspired by TV comments on the subject? :biggrin:

At the risk of seeming flippant this is nearly 3   9/ 11s

It is a mistake to attribute this appalling toll (remember there will be 80 000 injuries associated with these deaths) to a single factor.

Road safety and crash reduction is achieved overseas by multi faceted approaches. Anti drink driving is one programme as are the compulsory use of safety belts and helmets.

Way too many deaths and the Drunk and stupid drvers that have caused a lot of these

accidents and not killed them selves should all hang their heads in shame. Instead they all go

to some temple and do some chants and all is forgiven. A big large change in attitude of these

Adrivers and the Police force has to happen. Also included is a big a change in attitude of the government.

Geezer

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

I don't believe rethinking is necessary. If police were out patrolling the roads and handing out fines to bad drivers, people's attitude would change. Hit them in the pocketbook and they will "learn".

Yes this is the answer any 'education' is a waste of time. But the problem is that the police will  not fine and police to the extent necessary.

Maybe a better system would be to fine the police many millions of baht based on casualty figures.

That might make them pull their fingers out!