Yello Tabien and (pink ID card ID card

jeab1980

Yellow Tabien and (pink) ID card  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

I am not sure if people are all that negative about the actual documents, as you can get through life in Thailand without them. So they do not see the point of the repetitive discussions about them. They are not a required document to have so many people really couldn't care less about it. Continually hearing about it possibly causes the negativity to the subject, not the actual physical documents. 

Lol there was and is another discusion on here now about them the negativity of one poster made the discusion look like a war zone.

And i agree you can get along without them and i respect those who dont want one. Just a pity same cant be said about the negative posters respecting those that do.

With regards to continually hearing about them its a forum there will always be people who ask. If people dont like something dont read it or dont reply to the thread. I have learnt after a few holidays not to bother about obvious thai/bar girl bashing threads.

Edited by jeab1980

33 minutes ago, Haso said:

I have a yellow book and now I want to apply for a pink non Thai ID card. I have tried to search for a photo of this card on the forum that was recently shown but can't find it. I want to show the local Ampor a sample of this card to avoid long conversations with them. Can someone display a copy for me and others who may wish to apply. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

From web

ID-Thai-Vorderseite.jpg

20170818_080242.jpg

Edited by jeab1980
Block face and address

I think if your local Amphur is accommodating with issuing them, why not...

If, like mine, they just want to erect barrier after barrier, then why bother ?

Renew driving licence, once every 6 years, so hardly worth a trip to Bangkok for MFA stamps etc. Buying a new car or bike, unless you are minted, again doesn't happen too often... 

Driving licence, copy of passport will get you pretty much everything you need. COR available for 500 baht if required...

Wow, that ampur really didn't want to issue that card. Imagine getting one with your face graffiti'd like that.

But seriously, I say if you can them easily and it doesn't cost the earth, then go for it. If it is too much hassle or too expensive then, as others have said, you can get by fine in Thailand without them.

Translation off passport can be done with someone who has a degree in English. So if you have a friend who is an English teacher then it saves having to pay a fee. Either that, or you can just get your Mrs to translate it and just pay for the actual stamp at many  translation places (saves time and money). 

Seems this step is a step that puts many people off sometimes.

Are you serious? - a degree in English? Any Thai student who has graduated from a Thai university?

13 minutes ago, petedk said:

Are you serious? - a degree in English? Any Thai student who has graduated from a Thai university?

As far as I am aware, yes. But you have to take a copy of their graduation certificate showing they majored in English, 

Also the 'farang' doesn't have to attend when all the documents are given to the office. But they must attend when they call you to pick up the book/card for them to ask you some extremely basic questions. 

Edited by wildewillie89

15 minutes ago, petedk said:

My experience has been that translatins must be performed by the MFA or an MFA-certified translator. It's not easy finding a certied translator out here in the boonies, but it's easier than having to fly to Bangkok for a day! Being friends with over a dozen Thai English teachers, there is only one in that group that I would trust with the translation of an official document, and he got his secondary, bachelor's and doctorate in London.

16 minutes ago, noahvail said:

My experience has been that translatins must be performed by the MFA or an MFA-certified translator. It's not easy finding a certied translator out here in the boonies, but it's easier than having to fly to Bangkok for a day! Being friends with over a dozen Thai English teachers, there is only one in that group that I would trust with the translation of an official document, and he got his secondary, bachelor's and doctorate in London.

Just called the Mrs, she asked not long ago when at the District Office for other work related things. Can do two ways. You can do the stamp, or just get a copy of an English Major Certificate (as it is no different from the certified translators anyway other than a 'business name'). They said many people just get the wife to translate it and get a family member/friend's graduation certificate to save costs. 

Before knowing this, the wife used to translate everything. Anything that needed a stamp we just paid for the stamp, rather than the whole translation. It isn't saving millions of baht, but saves time. 

Edited by wildewillie89

First off, well done to the OP for making a poll on this unnecessarily contentious subject. Thanks.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:47 AM, starky said:

Although I dont doubt your statements I cant see them as necessary. My post office never asks for ID, I already have 2 Thai bank accounts. I have never carried my passport or even a copy on me in all my years cruising around Thailand. Only ID I have ever shown outside of my passport once to open said bank accounts is my Aussie drivers license. I know some like to make a big deal about getting house books, Thai ID cards and drivers licenses and if it does help your life here thats great but they are by no means important for doing anything here IMHO

Maybe the Post Office asked for his ID to collect an otherwise non-delivered letter or package? When I get the 'not at home' slip in the mailbox, the Post office ALWAYS requires some form of ID. Yes, it can be your passport or Thai DL but they also accept the Thai ID card. If it is easy to get and makes just one mundane task less of a hassle, then it is worth it. Some may be unaware that some of the pink ID cards privileges only apply to the province where it is issued thus rendering it 'useless' but only for a particular task where it wasn't allowed.

Agreed that one can safely navigate through Thai bureaucracy without yellow book or pink ID card and many do; see below for example.

I think there's more people making a big deal about NOT getting one. Again, see below for example.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, wildewillie89 said:

I think only useful re proof of address and getting into the odd place at Thai price. Re opening phone accounts etc, many of the places have never even heard of the card so it is really hit and miss. The Mrs only wants to get them for proof of address, but yes, I also think a lot of it is one big look at me, 'i have this book, you don't'. 

Also have 2 bank accounts, and have never taken my passport out of the house, other than visiting Immigration. Hospital and banks I use Thai drivers license as ID. According to the Mrs, she seems to think they are very easy to get, the biggest problem is having to take some time off work to actually get them though. At the moment, their worth is less than the annoying factor of having to take a couple hours off work - which maybe puts things into perspective in our situation anyway. 

The assumption is that because the hospitals and banks that he deals with accept his Thai DL, then ALL hospitals and banks must accept a Thai DL. Different people use different hospitals and different banks in different places. Maybe some of those different people do different sort of business at different banks as well. It's Thailand, the only thing that's consistent is their inconsistency.

The poll says it all: overwhelming endorsement of the practicality of having them by those that have them and a noisome minority that either can't be arsed, don't know how, live in Samui or next door to Andrew Dwyer.

NB: I said practicality, not necessity.

First off, well done to the OP for making a poll on this unnecessarily contentious subject. Thanks.

The assumption is that because the hospitals and banks that he deals with accept his Thai DL, then ALL hospitals and banks must accept a Thai DL. Different people use different hospitals and different banks in different places. Maybe some of those different people do different sort of business at different banks as well. It's Thailand, the only thing that's consistent is their inconsistency.

The poll says it all: overwhelming endorsement of the practicality of having them by those that have them and a noisome minority that either can't be arsed, don't know how, live in Samui or next door to Andrew Dwyer.

NB: I said practicality, not necessity.

[emoji15]

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I think that is the very idea of a poll/survey. To hear different 'personal' experiences and then get a result at the end. So my personal experience was the hospitals/banks (both in my city, and the one I was admitted outside my city), only required a DL. Khon Kaen Hospital, for example, specifically told me that a DL was easiest for them when dealing with my profile. 

Clearly many people have different experiences depending on their circumstances (why the OP felt a poll was required).

Polls are interesting. It would be interesting to see the response rate vs members of the forum. Sure the poll categorically says they are worth getting. But it seems a tiny response rate overall. Does that indicate that the majority of members couldn't care less about the issue? Does it indicate their 'practical' worth is so insignificant that the majority of members don't even know what they are? I think that would tell a lot more of a story in the overall scheme of things.

I think there's more people making a big deal about NOT getting one. Again, see below for example.

The 'big deal' was clearly a response on how much people go on about them vs how useful they actually are.

Personally, when I, or the Mrs, get a morning off work, I probably will get them (as they seem very easy to get in our District Office, and are useful re proof of address). But again, currently the 'practicality' of having them doesn't justify taking a morning off work (in my circumstances anyway). So they can wait. Which is the point of the poll, some people may read it and say, I need these things, others may read my post and say, I do not need these things. Just because it doesn't fit into your circumstances doesn't mean it doesn't fit into others. 

Edited by wildewillie89

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think that is the very idea of a poll/survey. To hear different 'personal' experiences and then get a result at the end. So my personal experience was the hospitals/banks (both in my city, and the one I was admitted outside my city), only required a DL. Khon Kaen Hospital, for example, specifically told me that a DL was easiest for them when dealing with my profile. 

Clearly many people have different experiences depending on their circumstances (why the OP felt a poll was required).

...All good points willie, so here's my take.

Your specific needs were better addressed by the Thai DL whereas five of my specific needs over the past 10 years were better addressed with either the YB or the PIDC (pink ID card). If the poll was about the value of having a Thai DL, you would be in the resoundingly large percentile saying it is a necessity and I would have graded it as mostly only good for what it is intended, ie. driving a vehicle legally (as I also have a YB and PIDC for other, differing personal ID / proof of address circumstances).

I think the OP may have been motivated by the typically rancorous nature of previous threads on the matter.

Polls are interesting. It would be interesting to see the response rate vs members of the forum. Sure the poll categorically says they are worth getting. But it seems a tiny response rate overall. Does that indicate that the majority of members couldn't care less about the issue? Does it indicate their 'practical' worth is so insignificant that the majority of members don't even know what they are? I think that would tell a lot more of a story in the overall scheme of things.

Based on the observation that every time a thread kicks off about YB's and PIDC's, it doesn't take a few posts until someone asks what they are and how to get them. I think that there are a lot of foreigners here, members and otherwise, that may be unaware of their existence. A poll is still a poll and a poll result is still a poll result... unless (for example) it's being tallied by Westminster to see if it it garners significant numbers to warrant a national referendum.

The 'big deal' was clearly a response on how much people go on about them vs how useful they actually are.

Personally, when I, or the Mrs, get a morning off work, I probably will get them (as they seem very easy to get in our District Office, and are useful re proof of address). But again, currently the 'practicality' of having them doesn't justify taking a morning off work (in my circumstances anyway). So they can wait. Which is the point of the poll, some people may read it and say, I need these things, others may read my post and say, I do not need these things. Just because it doesn't fit into your circumstances doesn't mean it doesn't fit into others. 

I don't think any members have been banned or suspended for banging on about how handy they are but I suspect that at least one of the typically vocal 'they are useless because I say so' protagonists has had his/her jets suitably cooled by forum moderation. I see the naysayers as the 'big deal' respondents.

Your personal circumstances make it low priority and that's totally understandable; there's no pressing need for you to get one. I don't think that any YB and PIDC holders, including myself, had an overwhelming need to get one at all costs because he knows his neighbor doesn't have one. Some have already attested that they acquired it easily but still haven't found a use for it. I acquired the YB about 12 years ago when it was all relatively unknown. The Amphur was a bit of a pedant but I got it and it served it's purpose facilitating my Thai DL application and a couple of finance packages. Same for the recently acquired PIDC which so far has been accepted for domestic flight boarding checks. It was correctly declined as ID by a teller in my home bank branch in another province who happily accepted my Thai DL instead.

Earlier I said it is a practicality, not necessity to which I can add it facilitates not specifically enables. To echo a sentiment shared by others in this and related threads, anything that means one less visit to the local Immigration office where I would be forced to wait and ultimately pay for a free service must be OK.

Edited by NanLaew

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Your specific needs were better addressed by the Thai DL whereas five of my specific needs over the past 10 years were better addressed with either the YB or the PIDC (pink ID card). If the poll was about the value of having a Thai DL, you would be in the resoundingly large percentile saying it is a necessity and I would have graded it as mostly only good for what it is intended, ie. driving a vehicle legally (as I also have a YB and PIDC for other, differing personal ID / proof of address circumstances).

I agree wholeheartedly. For example, domestic air travel is greatly simplified by the use of the ID card.  A few months ago, when the local plan-clothes constabulary came around doing a "do you live here" check (funny, because a couple of them know my wife and me personally) they were all surprised when I pulled out my ID card. They had never seen one before. We got a phone call an hour after they left asking for instructions on how to obtain them, because they wanted to share that with more farang on their list! Granted, I'm out in the middle f nowhere,  Isaan, but it's obvious that some officials don't know about it.

...All good points willie, so here's my take.

I think the OP may have been motivated by the typically rancorous nature of previous threads on the matter.

Based on the observation that every time a thread kicks off about YB's and PIDC's, it doesn't take a few posts until someone asks what they are and how to get them. I think that there are a lot of foreigners here, members and otherwise, that may be unaware of their existence. A poll is still a poll and a poll result is still a poll result... unless (for example) it's being tallied by Westminster to see if it it garners significant numbers to warrant a national referendum.

I don't think any members have been banned or suspended for banging on about how handy they are but I suspect that at least one of the typically vocal 'they are useless because I say so' protagonists has had his/her jets suitably cooled by forum moderation. I see the naysayers as the 'big deal' respondents.

Your personal circumstances make it low priority and that's totally understandable; there's no pressing need for you to get one. I don't think that any YB and PIDC holders, including myself, had an overwhelming need to get one at all costs because he knows his neighbor doesn't have one. Some have already attested that they acquired it easily but still haven't found a use for it. I acquired the YB about 12 years ago when it was all relatively unknown. The Amphur was a bit of a pedant but I got it and it served it's purpose facilitating my Thai DL application and a couple of finance packages. Same for the recently acquired PIDC which so far has been accepted for domestic flight boarding checks. It was correctly declined as ID by a teller in my home bank branch in another province who happily accepted my Thai DL instead.

Earlier I said it is a practicality, not necessity to which I can add it facilitates not specifically enables. To echo a sentiment shared by others in this and related threads, anything that means one less visit to the local Immigration office where I would be forced to wait and ultimately pay for a free service must be OK.

Forum should just pin the information. This is what they do (people can match their needs against it), and this is how you get them. Will save the future countless conversations about them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got my pink ID card last week. Took 30 minutes and 60 baht tax and 100 baht for photo. I travel a lot around Thailand by motor vehicle so I will attempt to use it as ID every time. E.g. Hotels, national parks, other entertainment venues and any occasion requiring personal identification. Let's wait and see the result.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect