Thai govt thinks 80km speed limit in cities may be too fast

webfact

8 hours ago, ben2talk said:

There is NO 80km speed limit

The ignorance of some people amazes me. Must be the influence of the avatar. :laugh:

You have a driving license and don't know the law/rules. How long have you been driving here. There are signs all over.

BKK_speed_limit.jpg

There is one here https://goo.gl/maps/BCbTbn8Wfh22

Next you will be saying there are no 40 or 60 limits? 

BTW. Officially speed limit within Bangkok also includes expressways so "technically" 80 KPH on BangNa-Trat elevated until the first tollbooth. 

Edited by VocalNeal

8 hours ago, ben2talk said:

There is NO 80km speed limit. There is only a 120km/h limit with one or two cameras... 

Thai's that know the official limit are quick to laugh and say that it doesn't apply.

Bangna-Trad has a few 80 signs, professional drivers tell me 'actually 90, but in practice 120'.

It's all crud.

try driving at 90 kph  down Mitterprap road  in Khon Kaen and you will not be stopped but a couple of weeks later you will recieve a letter through the post asking you to pay a nice big fine, i know several people who have been fined

Well something has to be done and this is a good start. Then I want information on TV telling how to drive safely and what you should not do on the road. Telling why you should use safety belts. Just basic things.

Then I want traffic lights at every U-turn in Bangkok. And how about law enforcement? Speed checks? I know.... I am asking to much..  sorry ..

32 minutes ago, JayBird said:

5km speed limit. Limiter installed in all vehicles. GPS locked so can only be exceeded outside City limits. Any car that tampers with it is crushed.

Wonderful idea. Have it implemented in your country of origin to set an example. 

9 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Apart from the odd nutter who tailgates you on the motorway or roars past in a fortuna I reckon Thais drive bl00dy slowly. They are either too busy with their phone, picking their nose or terrified to be in control of a moving vehicle. Watch them swing right before turning left. Slowing almost to a stop before turning. Or crawling out from a junction seemingly unable or unwilling to accelerate. It really just shows they are mostly just inept poorly trained drivers. They have no idea of road positioning or lane keeping and I don't want to mention their (lack of) parking skills. 

I just seem to spend a lot of time stuck behind meandering pick-ups or Nissans. Usually in the last couple of Km's from my house... Why if they want to go slow can't they just keep to the left ?

I like the ones that drive like the world is ending and then 500m before a U-turn junction slow to 2km/h and perform a U-turn from the middle lane.

La la another meeting another brainwave Speed limit is 80 hey? Do most Thais know that?  Because most dont stick to it anyway lol 120km more like there speed No cops around easy to do The whole road traffic rules are just a big joke Nobody sticks to them anyway. When you got drivers tailgating you, running red lights. when doing u turns and having car half way across the road, Speeding, driving when drunk, coming up wrong side of the road, driving without lights on, pulling out in front of you, wearing no helmets, having more than 2 people on bikes, I can bloody go on and on about the rules that are broken

24,000 is not enough dead they want that No 1 medal The only solution is MAKE THE BLOODY COPS DO THERE JOB and you might have a chance dropping those road deaths

While I experiance every day the Sukhumvit Road going thorugh Pattaya has no speed limit and even you try go "only" 80 km most cars overtaking you and sure most of the trucks!!!!!!!!!

Any U-turn is a nearly life taking advanture!!

So go to a speed limit of 60 and that is fast enough and CONTROLL it and have extreme penalties on it.

Otherwise all discussions are not worth the air for beathing!!

As mostly in Thailand....out of the mouth but never in the brains of the people!

I agree...  What a load of stuff!  I drive the super highway in CM, too and from work every day.  80km is less than 50mph on a three lane highway suited for such speed.  Problem is the Thais going home in the evening are going 100 to 120km.  That is why the highway is scary dangerous.  Especially when you consider they will run right over a motorcycle in the far left to exit on a feeder.  So, enforcement of existing laws combined with real fines for breaking them would go a long way to addressing the problem.  Much farther than changing a law that is not enforced to a new one which will join the rest of the road use laws ignored here in the "wild wild west." 

19 hours ago, JayBird said:

5km speed limit. Limiter installed in all vehicles. GPS locked so can only be exceeded outside City limits. Any car that tampers with it is crushed.

Chip implanted at birth with small explosive device in also???? No Thanks!

The ignorance of some people amazes me. Must be the influence of the avatar. :laugh:

You have a driving license and don't know the law/rules. How long have you been driving here. There are signs all over.

BKK_speed_limit.jpg&key=0c5bf6b650e8d6006e6422c6f359ffb850d83cf5fad6ca0b7b489c15ccdfd723

BTW. Officially speed limit within Bangkok also includes expressways so "technically" 80 KPH on BangNa-Trat elevated until the first tollbooth. 

Those are 'signs'. You're confused. For example, on some expressways there are signs reading '80' but everyone says the 'limit' is 120 and everyone drives at any speed they like because WITH NO ENFORCEMENT THERE IS NO LIMIT. Only the odd fine to pay if you get caught on camera...

Sent from my big slate

BKK_speed_limit.jpg&key=0c5bf6b650e8d6006e6422c6f359ffb850d83cf5fad6ca0b7b489c15ccdfd723

Officially not supported by police or drivers. The only limit I'm aware of is the 120 - there are no other enforced limits (120 the only one ever programmed into the cameras - even with 80 signposted!)

Sent from my big slate

Do it will prevent 1000 plus accidents.get more speed cams to enfore it.let speeders bleed financially 

Just recording offences might start - add publicity for a 'fine share' scheme for catching any manner of antisocial driving. Trouble is then you must prove whose driving - not easy from video.

Really, no traffic cops means they support freedom over enforcement.

Sent from my big slate

On 07/08/2017 at 6:28 PM, Pdaz said:

Apart from the odd nutter who tailgates you on the motorway or roars past in a fortuna I reckon Thais drive bl00dy slowly. They are either too busy with their phone, picking their nose or terrified to be in control of a moving vehicle. Watch them swing right before turning left. Slowing almost to a stop before turning. Or crawling out from a junction seemingly unable or unwilling to accelerate. It really just shows they are mostly just inept poorly trained drivers. They have no idea of road positioning or lane keeping and I don't want to mention their (lack of) parking skills. 

I just seem to spend a lot of time stuck behind meandering pick-ups or Nissans. Usually in the last couple of Km's from my house... Why if they want to go slow can't they just keep to the left ?

Ref the crawling out from a junction it was explained to me that the whole idea is to just pull out and very slowly get faster so that traffic coming from the right has a better chance of overtaking. ???.

The idea of waiting and checking for a clear road has nothing to do with it. ???

• 5 months later...

To introduce any effective limits requires signage and the delineation of urban areas.....This could take years.

All places once defined as "urban" will then require the placing of speed limit signs and distinction signs.

There will then need to be a training program for police and a national awareness program.

Of course proper road definition and markings will need to be legally established. I have yet to see evidence that anyone in Thailand's capable of properly erecting a road sign.