Al Gore says 'ethical reasons' could end Trump presidency early

webfact

Al Gore says 'ethical reasons' could end Trump presidency early

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore attends a screening for "An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power" in Los Angeles, California, U.S., July 25, 2017. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

BERLIN (Reuters) - Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore suggested on Tuesday that the presidency of Donald Trump could end prematurely for "ethical reasons," drawing laughter from a packed movie theatre at the European premiere of his latest film on climate change.

"We’re only six months into the experiment with Trump. Some experiments are ended early for ethical reasons," Gore said, acknowledging the "provocative" nature of his comment.

Gore said he was convinced that U.S. cities, states and business executives would meet U.S. obligations under the 2015 Paris agreement to fight climate change, despite Trump's decision in June to withdraw from the global pact.

"We have a global agreement and the American people are part of this agreement in spite of Donald Trump," he told hundreds of moviegoers at Berlin's Zoo Palast cinema after a showing of his new film, "An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power."

"We can win this ... All we need is the political will," he said, adding his hope that the United States would "soon once again" have a leader who was committed to halting global warming.

The film argues that fighting climate change is a just, moral battle, on a par with social movements such as the civil rights movement in the United States or the fight for gay rights.

Gore's first documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," is credited with bringing climate change into mainstream political discourse in the United States a decade ago.

Gore said he was confident the American and German people would remain united in their commitment to reversing the devastating effects of climate change already visible around the world on a daily basis.

He said he was "heartsick" about Trump's decision to pull out of the Paris deal, but said it could trigger an even stronger commitment by other nations to reduce greenhouse gases as an act of defiance.

He lauded Germany's leadership in moving toward alternative energy sources, and said global moves to shift to solar and wind power would drive economic growth and create many new jobs.

The U.S. State Department last week officially informed the United Nations that it would withdraw from the Paris deal, but left the door open to re-engaging if the terms improved for the United States.

But, in a diplomatic cable, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told U.S. diplomats to sidestep questions from foreign governments on what it would take for the U.S. government to re-engage in the Paris climate deal, Reuters reported earlier on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-09

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Gore is wise.  Middle Americans don't want someone wise at the top echelons of power,  that's why many of them voted for a ding-dong like Bush Jr, and a dangerous dufus like Trump.

Well that is an opinion.

he made 100 million dollars flying around the world in a private jet warning everyone about "global warming". :cheesy:

he is a smart guy. he could teach the Thais how to scam.

look how the deep state is freaking out about Trump.

they will do anything to stop him.

Fact is; 

Climate change warrior Al Gore's Nashville estate expends '21 times more energy than the average US home uses per year'

• A conservative think-tank published a report claiming Gore 'guzzles' electricity
  • It claims Gore's Nashville estate used 230,889 kilowatt hours over the last year 
  • Ex-vice president also spends about $22,000 on electricity bills a year, it claims 
  • The study was released ahead of the premiere of Al Gore's latest environmental documentary film, An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, on Friday
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4758152/Al-Gore-s-mansion-uses-21-times-energy-average.html

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/08/02/report-al-gore-uses-21-times-more-energy-average-us-household

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/02/exclusive-al-gores-home-devours-34-times-more-electricity-than-average-u-s-household/

I can't justify Gore living in a large house, and using a lot of electricity-sucking appliances.  Personally, I take showers using water pumped from a PV electric pump, and heated by passive solar tanks I built for Bt.900.    

Yet, Gore is a messenger.  He won the Nobel Peace Prize.   He's been educating a lot of people ww about the consequences of emitting greenhouse-causing gases.  It's estimated that each person on the planet accounts for an average of 1 ton of CO2 emissions/year.  That's nearly 7 billion tons of CO2 annually.  Look at any Chinese city by satellite photo, and you'll see a dirty yellow blob.  Similar for most other cities ww.

When a care-giver goes to a place where there is mass starvation, does that person starve also?  No. The care-giver gets meals (at HQ or wherever), but hopefully that person and his/her organization are effective at handing out aid and water to the starving thousands.

When Trump stumps about helping the poor & unemployed in the US, do we expect him to also be poor and unemployed - in order to be credible?

Just now, boomerangutang said:

I can't justify Gore living in a large house, and using a lot of electricity-sucking appliances.  Personally, I take showers using water pumped from a PV electric pump, and heated by passive solar tanks I built for Bt.900.    

Yet, Gore is a messenger.  He won the Nobel Peace Prize.   He's been educating a lot of people ww about the consequences of emitting greenhouse-causing gases.  It's estimated that each person on the planet accounts for an average of 1 ton of CO2 emissions/year.  That's nearly 7 billion tons of CO2 annually.  Look at any Chinese city by satellite photo, and you'll see a dirty yellow blob.  Similar for most other cities ww.

When a care-giver goes to a place where there is mass starvation, does that person starve also?  No. The care-giver gets meals (at HQ or wherever), but hopefully that person and his/her organization are effective at handing out aid and water to the starving thousands.

When Trump stumps about helping the poor & unemployed in the US, do we expect him to also be poor and unemployed - in order to be credible?

That's an opinion.  I'll stop there...:giggle:

Leaked Government Report Points To Dire Impact Of Climate Change On US

Out of fear that the recently finished National Climate Assessment will be hidden from public sight, the New York Times published a leaked copy of the report on Monday. The report, which combines 13 federal agencies analysis on climate change in the United States is waiting for approval by the Trump administration.

The congressionally mandated report builds on past assessments on the impact of climate change within the United States, finding that climate change has already significantly impacted American's lives. This comes in stark contrast to the new head of the EPA Scott Pruitt's belief that carbon dioxide is not a primary contributor to our warming planet. Combine that with President Trump's belief that global warming is a hoax created by the Chinese to make America uncompetitive, and you can see where the tension lies between factual science and political agendas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2017/08/08/leaked-government-report-finds-dire-impact-climate-change-u-s/#4d993a84181f

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/08/07/climate/document-Draft-of-the-Climate-Science-Special-Report.html

I see the alt-right is trying to tar Al Gore currently.

He did enlist and serve in Vietnam, vs. our current 'bone-spur hero'.

He made a lot of money selling the media company "Current".

He seems genuinely concerned about the fate of our planet, while Trump sees the current problem as a "chinese Hoax".

1 minute ago, tonray said:

I despise Trump but the last thing we need are phonies like Gore and Hilary spouting off on morality. Gimme a break !

I'm in a unique position. In the early 80s my family did several floors on Trump Towers. I took the opportunity to meet with him. And then had a chance to spend a little time with him at a couple of parties. Initial/gut impressions are important to me.  My first impression was that he was a regular guy and a straight shooter. No one had anything bad to say about him really. Even though there was a lot of crazy press going on at the time about his split up with Ivanka.

I was raised in Jersey and lived in New York City on and off over the years. He just seem like a regular guy to me.  The guys on the jobs all liked him. And it appeared as though he treated everyone as an equal. Just saying...

3 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I'm in a unique position. In the early 80s my family did several floors on Trump Towers. I took the opportunity to meet with him. And then had a chance to spend a little time with him at a couple of parties. Initial/gut impressions are important to me.  My first impression was that he was a regular guy and a straight shooter. No one had anything bad to say about him really. Even though there was a lot of crazy press going on at the time about his split up with Ivanka.

I was raised in Jersey and lived in New York City on and off over the years. He just seem like a regular guy to me.  The guys on the jobs all liked him. And it appeared as though he treated everyone as an equal. Just saying...

I grew up in Jersey also...and I have met some of the guys he stiffed  and strong armed after they did thousands of dollars in work for him. They have a bit of a different opinion.

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Even though there was a lot of crazy press going on at the time about his split up with Ivanka.

Ivanka is his daughter.

Ivana Trump was his first wife.

I'm sure he was a normal guy in the 80's, unfortunately it's 2017.

Ivana thanks for the correction.  I get beautiful women mixed up sometime.  Anyway I'm glad to see him in there and I hope he prevails the thought of Hillary/Obama being in there sends a chill up and down my spine. Personally and professionally I like him. Now having said that there are a lot of things He has said and done that I don't like. Nobody's perfect though. And I definitely would never sign up for that job. The USA has been run into the ground and is ready to implode. It's frightening to think that they will take most of the rest of the world with them.

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

I grew up in Jersey also...and I have met some of the guys he stiffed  and strong armed after they did thousands of dollars in work for him. They have a bit of a different opinion.

Yeah I know a lot about his alleged "stiffing" contractors. Like I said my family did contracting for him over a four-year period, no complaints only nice bonuses and parties too. Without knowing all the specific details of the cases I can't comment on them. If the contractors had a legitimate claim they would have prevailed in court. One would think...

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

Yeah I know a lot about his alleged "stiffing" contractors. Like I said my family did contracting for him over a four-year period, no complaints only nice bonuses and parties too. Without knowing all the specific details of the cases I can't comment on them. If the contractors had a legitimate claim they would have prevailed in court. One would think...

Forgetting about his past behaviors, what is your opinion of his performance now, which is the only thing that's important ?

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The USA has been run into the ground and is ready to implode. 

But, but this runs counter to what the President is telling us: in just six months he's turned everything around.

like I said.  He's far from perfect. And you couldn't pay me any amount of money to take that job right now. I admire that he walked away from a very nice life and painted a bull's-eye on his back. Again there's a lot of things he says and does that I don't Like but he was handed a disaster personally I believe it's hard to restore to a reasonable state of existence.

1 minute ago, tonray said:

OK..fair enough answer Thanks

There are many different points of contention. But my hot button is that he told Hillary during the debates that, "when I become president you'll be going to jail." If that doesn't happen I've lost all faith in any of them. And as we all know it won't happen...

9 minutes ago, joeyg said:

like I said.  He's far from perfect. And you couldn't pay me any amount of money to take that job right now. I admire that he walked away from a very nice life and painted a bull's-eye on his back. Again there's a lot of things he says and does that I don't Like but he was handed a disaster personally I believe it's hard to restore to a reasonable state of existence.

Handed a disaster ?

I'll agree that foreign policy was a mess, but corporate profits at an all time high, rising employment, housing stable, etc etc. where was the disaster ?

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Gore is wise.  Middle Americans don't want someone wise at the top echelons of power,  that's why many of them voted for a ding-dong like Bush Jr, and a dangerous dufus like Trump.

Gore is a moron. Besides being a moron, he is a hypocrite. He doesn't understand the meaning of ethics.