Prayut dismisses further Thai action against North Korea

webfact

Prayut dismisses further Thai action against North Korea

By The Nation

8003818cec042ce93760ba4224735280.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Responding to a report of possible pressure from Washington for Thailand to shut down North Korean business operations here, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Wednesday the country would simply abide by a United Nations Security Council resolution on the matter.

He was referring to Resolution 2371, passed on Saturday, which targets North Korea’s primary exports and other foreign revenue sources.

The UN action is designed to force Pyongyang to abandon its programme to develop intercontinental ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons.

Gen Prayut emphasised that US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in their meeting yesterday attached no further conditions regarding North Korea. 

“We’ve condemned nuclear weapons and supported the UN resolution,” Prayut said. “We’ve done those already.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30323297

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-09

3 hours ago, BasalBanality said:

The real question is, what can Thailand do to North Korea?

Ban their citizens from social visits or transit to South Korea?

Well....there are businesses here in Thailand trading with NK.....

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In other words, they're not going to do diddly squat.  
"Ohhh, if Fat Kim have missile that can reach United States, then could hit world famous Bangkok.  Better not risk anything." 

They are not going to do anything to jeopardise their relationship with China and have wisely decided to shun anything coming from the Trump administration. 

8 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Why would he take futher, or any action against his protégé,  someone to be truely admired by the junta and cohorts.

"further action" implies you have already acted .....   oh ... yea right , he is a dictator  samo samo as lil fat kimmy 

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I think deep down Prayuth is jealous and admires Kim and wishes he could have the same  level of control over the population, and armament budget that North Korea has.

I agree. The whole charade of setting election timeframes and then manufacturing excuses to change the roadmap is exhausting and Prayut is jealous that North Korea doesn't have to play these games.

Thailand is the DPRK's fourth largest trading partner, all through informal channels meant to hide activity which runs counter to sanctions.

Thailand and North Korea have a very long relationship.

Thailand-N. Korea celebrate 40 years of bilateral ties

Thailand and North Korea have celebrated the 40th anniversary of bilateral ties by issuing special sets of stamps and organizing an exhibition.

To commemorate the establishment of diplomatic ties between the two countries in 8 May 1975, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and Thailand jointly issued a set of stamps featuring the Accipiter gentilis (northern goshawk) and the Lophura diardi (Siamese fireback), the national birds of the DPRK and Thailand respectively, DPRK state media Rodong Sinmun and the Thai Philatelic Museum Facebook page reported last week.

https://prachatai.com/english/node/5046

17271445808_24583b0c89_o.jpg

15 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Well....there are businesses here in Thailand trading with NK.....

Thailand imposing sanctions on North Korea? Seriously? All things considered I doubt the Thais have a handle on anything but the handrails in the handicap bathroom.

United states: Hey Thailand I need you to antagonize North Korea 

Thailand: Why in the hell would I want to antagonize a country that has nukes capable of striking my borders?

United states: because they are a threat to us

Thailand: Ummm no they are a threat to you! Last I checked they had a problem with you not me

United states: well how about backing us on this one since we have been such good allies

Thailand: You know what screw you, North Korea is your problem, not ours!  I am not going to poke the bear any more than I have too.

How about if Thailand challenged North Korea to an international pop music and dance challenge, winner takes charge of everything, a federation?.  

The loser would have to appear in photos with the POTUS, sharing a beer or whatever, generally sucking up etc?

Like a giant Who's Got Talent face-off.

It would be an international  television sensation. Las Vegas eat your heart out!

On 8/9/2017 at 2:23 PM, BasalBanality said:

The real question is, what can Thailand do to North Korea?

I'

Ban their citizens from social visits or transit to South Korea?

I'd start by not letting any North Koreans into Thailand. I'd start by not letting any North Korean have an internet connection while in Thailand. It is thought by many that a good portion of the internet attack on Hollywood several years ago was by North Koreans using computers in Thailand. The North Koreans in Thailand is why the US stationed a 'real' diplomat here a couple years ago. We may not want to realize it but there is no reason for any North Korean to be in Thailand except to be up to no good.

44 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I'd start by not letting any North Koreans into Thailand. I'd start by not letting any North Korean have an internet connection while in Thailand. It is thought by many that a good portion of the internet attack on Hollywood several years ago was by North Koreans using computers in Thailand. The North Koreans in Thailand is why the US stationed a 'real' diplomat here a couple years ago. We may not want to realize it but there is no reason for any North Korean to be in Thailand except to be up to no good.

"no reason"

Perhaps escaping refugees, passing-through here, en-route to somewhere better than NK ?

In which case,just pass them on a.s.a.p. ?

Edited by Ricardo

N Korea is a US problem, no one elses, as such why would any sane government get involved? Its just a neocon MIC feeding frenzy, even many US military don't want to touch that no-win scenario:

Air Force Lt. Gen. James Clapper told CNN, North Korea is looking at the world in strict realist terms. Pyongyang—from its vantage point—is surrounded by enemies that are overwhelmingly more powerful than it is. The Kim regime’s only trump card against those foes are their nuclear weapons. Because the survival of the Kim regime is dependent on their nuclear capability, Pyongyang will never give up those weapons under any circumstances. Thus, America’s best response is containment and deterrence.

US puppet state Australia did of course bark that we would follow the US in any actions they took, moral issue aside seems the memories of the last time we did the same in Vietnam are very short. There again its never the politicians or their families going to war is it?

N Korea is a US problem, no one elses, as such why would any sane government get involved? Its just a neocon MIC feeding frenzy, even many US military don't want to touch that no-win scenario:

Air Force Lt. Gen. James Clapper told CNN, North Korea is looking at the world in strict realist terms. Pyongyang—from its vantage point—is surrounded by enemies that are overwhelmingly more powerful than it is. The Kim regime’s only trump card against those foes are their nuclear weapons. Because the survival of the Kim regime is dependent on their nuclear capability, Pyongyang will never give up those weapons under any circumstances. Thus, America’s best response is containment and deterrence.

US puppet state Australia did of course bark that we would follow the US in any actions they took, moral issue aside seems the memories of the last time we did the same in Vietnam are very short. There again its never the politicians or their families going to war is it?

North Korea is a problem for the whole region not just the US.More specifically do you really think China will permit North Korea to have a credible nuclear capability and delivery system? If North Korea was puppet state completely subordinate to China that would be a different matter - but it isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app