New immigration form goes into effect in October

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jmccarty said:

interesting that it is in Thai and English.  I did not realize that Thai's filled this document in also?  Or do we need to complete it in Thai and English now?

Thais have to fill them in if leaving the country.

1 hour ago, nasa123 said:

Malaysia was finish whit this stupid paper for over 3 year ago, no they us fingerprint and pictures, and you get 3 month visa stamp in your passport in the Immigration on the Airport.

And Immigration people smiling and tell you Welcom to Malaysia.

Thailand are 50 year back from the Neighboring country.

I can just imagine the out cry on here Giving my finger prints !!!!. Said a few posts back we are talking about Thailand not Malaysia. 

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:
  2 hours ago, jmccarty said:

interesting that it is in Thai and English.  I did not realize that Thai's filled this document in also?  Or do we need to complete it in Thai and English now?

My Thai wife signed hers in Thai once. The IO made her sign it again in English.

Everything else she wrote on it was in Thai.

NCC1701A said it best when he posted this.

The difference I see is the departure card is smaller so does not need to be folded to fit in passport. The image on my phone was so blurred I couldn't read the information on the card. 

I will take a guess the TM6 is necessary for the following,

1. If the PM asked to delete the form if not needed, it would have been eliminated.  

2. The form indicates actual arrival dates that can be correlated to original advance visa applications. It will also show actual departure dates. Passport entries are not saved in any database. 

Just this old farts logic. 

17 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

They don't process them whilst you are Waitings  there imputed later. I have in the past stood in queues wityh my children waiting in several countries we visited waiting for hoursl to get a. Stamp in passporys that life.  Listiening to other parents saying oh but we have children we should be allowed to go to rhe front !! Not in my bloody lifetime you in a queque you brought your children live with it.

Oh and we are not in Malaysia. Thailand has decided as Laos as Cambodia to have entry and exit form end of. But it wont stop tbe serial moaners.

Ummm, Malaysia was a comparison. It was an attempt to demonstrate that just a little bit of thought and planning can drastically improve a situation. Actually, info from the forms is checked against previous travel history while you wait. That's how they know how many times you've entered the country.  If thinking that it is unreasonable that waiting for several hours tp pass through immigration in a country that markets itself as major tourist destination makes me a "serial moaner"... then I so be it. 

17 hours ago, nasa123 said:

Malaysia was finish whit this stupid paper for over 3 year ago, no they us fingerprint and pictures, and you get 3 month visa stamp in your passport in the Immigration on the Airport.

And Immigration people smiling and tell you Welcom to Malaysia.

Thailand are 50 year back from the Neighboring country.

(SORRY  2 TIME.)

Yup and in Malaysia they speak good english and i didn't see any scams during my trips there.

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

Ummm, Malaysia was a comparison. It was an attempt to demonstrate that just a little bit of thought and planning can drastically improve a situation. Actually, info from the forms is checked against previous travel history while you wait. That's how they know how many times you've entered the country.  If thinking that it is unreasonable that waiting for several hours tp pass through immigration in a country that markets itself as major tourist destination makes me a "serial moaner"... then I so be it. 

Next time you go through immigration here watch what tbey do with TM6 it gets put into a tray then passport is scanned by computer that gives them your history not the TM6.

On 9.8.2017 at 0:45 PM, darksidedog said:

I have always thought they could save an immense amount of time at immigration, if they only used this for people who do not already have a visa. Given that if you have a visa, they already have all of your details anyway. So reserve this only for the 30 day/15 day on arrival stamps. Massive time savings going in and out of the country, and loads of money saved for the Thais. Probably contains too much common sense to be seriously considered here though.

Its looks like its all about sponsoring local paper producers where "certain" ownerinterests lays behind which unfortunately comes in conflict with common sence ...;)

On 8/10/2017 at 7:26 PM, jaywalker said:

My Thai wife signed hers in Thai once. The IO made her sign it again in English.

Everything else she wrote on it was in Thai.

NCC1701A said it best when he posted this.

That's ridiculous. The Thai national language is Thai and the form is bilingual. Why force Thais to write in a foreign language on a form printed by their government? Even more ludicrous is being required to sign your name in a foreign language. Most people can't read another person's signature anyway, what's the difference what language it's in? Most Thais don't even have an English signature to begin with.

BTW I always write my address in Thai on the form, have been doing so for years since my written Thai has become fluent - never once have I been asked to write it in English instead and if I were, I would question why when it's much easier for a Thai to read Thai than English. I also stopped filling in the information page, which confusingly says "non-Thai residents" in English but in Thai the translation is "foreigners". An immigration official once told me not to bother because it's only for statistics and wastes valuable time since then I've stopped filling it in.

So if you read the English and you're a resident foreigner, you are led to believe that side is not for you. According to the Thai though, all foreigners (i.e. those without Thai citizenship) are supposed to fill it in except that as just pointed out, resident or not no one cares.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:42 AM, stephen tracy said:

Exactly. It's also reasonable to compare it to Malaysia, which is a neighboring country Thailand can learn from. Both countries being in ASEAN I would expect them to standardize many procedures eventually, this being one of them. In 2015 I went to Laos a few times and at the Friendship Bridge I, coming from Nong Khai they had a sign saying they were stopping the forms, so I didn't get one. It turns out this may have only been a temporary measure or it is/was limited to the Friendship Bridge I because at other checkpoints since then they are still issuing them. Cambodia doesn't seem to issue arrival forms to Vietnamese arriving across their shared border, but wants foreigners from other countries to fill them out. Sometimes Thais are exempted when arriving across the Thai-Cambodian border, usually they are required though.

Although the entry form is little more than a minor nuisance, what makes my skin crawl is having to scour the arrivals area (at land borders) for a card because unlike in some countries where they place them in a little holder on a table so you can fill it out before you get your passport stamped, in Thailand you have to go to an immigration counter and ask for one, sometimes while the IO is stamping in another traveler. It's annoying and wastes a lot of time.

At the Cambodian borders they also have Cambodian staff who annoy you, asking obvious questions like "where are you going?" "umm Thailand obviously, that's why I'm here" tell you to fill in a form (which in my case I often have spare copies of) and rather than get the form for you, just tell you to go to a counter to get it. I don't understand the role of these people other than they seem to be able to speak good English, which I personally don't care about because I am fluent in Thai and even if you can't speak a word of the language and you're arriving for the first time, it isn't exactly rocket science knowing what to do when you arrive, it's identical to Cambodia except that Thailand doesn't use the fingerprint scanners (yet).

Vietnam has also eliminated these forms (years ago), though at some smaller checkpoints it took them a few years before they decided to eliminate them altogether. If Vietnam can do so, why not Thailand?