A Spanish tourist has gone online to issue a dire warning to the Thais about messing up their country

webfact

I watched the video and as the OP described he makes a very eloquent plea in broken English about things you read about every day especially on TV so not sure what the big deal is.

Yeah the fine suggestion is ridiculous and unenforceable but least he recognises that it's a beautiful country and seems genuine enough in his disappointment. If you came here for the "beautiful beaches" you probably would feel disappointed with many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Happy enough said:

he doesn't need to go home and his little complaints won't bother anyone. if he wants to clean up anywhere perhaps he could start with all the north Africans selling fake polo shirts and pissing on the beach in his own country. good place to start

What has Spain and North-Africa to do with this?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Warning that tourists will just go elsewhere he advised that police be posted on every beach and start fining people up to 100,000 baht for littering.

Clearly he didn't hire a Jetski here and realise its opening a huge door to more corruption. Although I must say he is on the right track.

Edited by Toshiba66

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Cleanliness too 555 

To be fair, I've lived in several different places in Asia in the past two decades, and generally found Thailand to be very oriented towards tidiness and order compared to some other countries. The problem seems to be much more to do with lack of education regarding disposal of garbage, environmental pollution and suchlike - they're clearly not taught about these things. 

It is true that they are not taught about these things. And from what I saw on my own soi it begins with the local government providing or NOT providing trash collection service. We moved into a "moo ban" of about 200 or so residents. It had been populated for 2 years or more before our arrival. There was no trash receptacles and no trash pickup until we went to the office and got it started. Everyone threw their trash into the klong. Many of the residents are of upper middle class status and a few are government employees. Any one of them could have gotten the service started. On they other hand, why should they have to start it rather than the government ensure that there is trash pickup? The cost is a whopping 30 baht per month per household and appears to be 100% honor system.

He's got a point,just don't think the solution would be to post police on the beach they are already there for the jet skis. The locals all over the country needs to wake up and smell the stench. Visit the countryside and you will see how people just throw what ever they have in their hands on the ground. Take a drive a long any side street in or around any city in the country and you will see how people bump garbage every where. Go sail on a river (wear a mask,and wash your hands afterwards) and you will see sewage being pumped straight from the houses into the river and when it rains all the garbage on the ground gets washed into the river as well not to mention the daily dumping of any type of garbage and sometimes industrial waste too.
So handing out fines on the beach won't matter much.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

I lasted 33 years in Thailand and finally just had enough of the filthy Pattaya sewer they call a beach, garbage all over the streets and nobody picks it up. I have moved to the Philippines where other than Manila the country is clean and beautiful. A school full of kids walked by my house the other day and my wife told me they were cruising their jurisdiction area picking up whatever garbage they could find, and I can tell you there was not much to pick up. The authorities teach pride in your city and country from when the kids are just small.

Spent 3 months in Japan last year ... first time there ... walked, biked, drove everywhere I could.  Not one piece of litter to be found anywhere. Not even in back alleys behind Yakuza dens. It's not a question of enforcement, it's a matter of pride.

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

and to the Spaniard in case you read this. your dress sense is terrible. your sunglasses are cheap and tacky, your top looks incredibly camp. perhaps that's your thing. people here don't need advice from anyone that comes from a place that hasn't got it's own house in order

You sound like a Thai .......

Of course he's right although probably not his place to criticise. Until Thais realise the impact their littering has and start going online to protest/complain nothing will change. Needs education from a very early age and from what I've seen most kids are not set a good example from parents or elders.

555 hilarious. he's basically saying take care of your place or it will end up being the dump that spain is.

Spain has more than 600 Blue Flag beaches and resorts, which is more than any other country in the world.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/05/16/most-blue-flag-beaches-world-spain/

Thailand has ..... none.

People commenting he should look at his own country blah blah blah, but his point is valid.  It's true and we are already seeing it happening.  12 years or longer it was much busier with tourism and look at it now.  They need to start cleaning up the place, not just rubbish but in all areas or the decline in tourists will continue until they have no tourist left.  Everyday I see more businesses closing and more people relocating or going home because there are no tourist and no money is being made.  

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Spain has more than 600 Blue Flag beaches and resorts, which is more than any other country in the world.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/05/16/most-blue-flag-beaches-world-spain/

Thailand has ..... none.

With no Blue Flag beaches and already the low-cost tourist swarms are overwhelming to the infrastructure in Thailand.

I doubt quality is a concern for anyone with intentions of holidaying in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

"Go back to making Tapas" because he comes from Spain...........and you're calling him a Clown??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

yes ....    how would you like someone telling you your country is a mess and needs a clean up.  ???

While he may be correct,  it's not his place or right to criticize Thailand ....  I am sure most Thais would be telling him where to go ...  :coffee1:

For those having a chuckle and knocking this guy's ignorance of all things Thai, take a moment to reflect on his message: It's from the heart, it's honest criticism as opposed to simply complaining, and imho, he's completely right.

yes ....    how would you like someone telling you your country is a mess and needs a clean up.  ???
While he may be correct,  it's not his place or right to criticize Thailand ....  I am sure most Thais would be telling him where to go ...  :coffee1:

I would welcome it as large parts of the Uk are indeed a mess.
.......and putting :coffee1: at the end of every post does not make your posts any more believable. It's what 10 year olds do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I presume the Moniker Happy Enough, gives your state of mind/living, happy enough living in squalor ? Your ignorance amazes me. Been to Spain recently or perhaps your only memory of Spain is when you went for cheap food and beer at some tacky tourist resort. Of which Thailand has none. Yeah Right. In my humble ( you know that word ) opinion he is perfectly correct. Some of the Thai Beaches are disgusting. Read about the group of foreigners who go regularly to clean up some of the beaches here. 

555 hilarious. he's basically saying take care of your place or it will end up being the dump that spain is. I'm sure that's what he's saying. there are many laws here that should clean the place up where it needs to be. pretty sure the powers that be don't need advice from young Spaniard. jog on young lad.

Considering the sorry state of the place maybe they do need his advice

This notion that no one who comes here and spends their hard earned cash can have an opinion about how it could be improved is laughable.
It's not like he is slagging the country off quite the opposite. He says it is paradise but in danger of ruining itself. He has come here ,loved the place but can see how it is self harming.
He speaks for many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well  said sir , totally agree with the sentiments expressed in your video. Makes sense all round to tackle the garbage issue. Would be an excellent money spinner for the BIB although you would have to set the ceiling for fines a lot lower for Thais. A bit higher for felangs who aren't averse to tossing their rubbish as well despite their supposed higher education standards.

People here say that "it's not his place to tell thai people what to do"

Ok, in one way that is true.

There's a difference between being told what to do and being told what to do with a reason.

Do this! Do that! <- sounds like a boss that everyone hates.

Do this, because otherwise x will happen due to y. <- if you dont listen to this you are ignorant.