Rew rew! Not just Don Muang - Suvarnabhumi hit by long immigration queues

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AOT lifted the airport fees and reduced the personal. Not surprising :sad:.

I don't know if AOT must pay money to the IMMI/police-office. But I guess IMMI won't do it without  any fee.

If so, Prayut should make the AOT ,too, responsible for this disaster. Nice that he reacted immediately to the problem. But he should fire the Min.o. Tourism and Sports, Kobkarn, for her stubborn behavior,  not abandoning the TM6 for all, including foreigners. Why are so may other states able to get information about tourism - without a form like this?

Before this disaster I thought, oh, the dates are to control the datas of incoming people. Now I realize they are only for T+S-ministry for bragging about the tourism in Thailand.

Edited by puck2

3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I hope there is the same chaos next week when I come back from Singapore on business and waltz through the Priority Lane.

My smugness will be difficult to conceal, indeed. 

Definitely worth a business class ticket at least, or just "drag the bag" (Thai wife) with you everywhere you go so you can go thru the Thai's Only lane with her.

I always fly business class, & haul ass to immigration to beat my planeload of passengers at least.

Not so easy at immigration on the way out. I was stuck there for about 1.5 hours & almost missed my flight once. Luckily I had my copy of War and Peace with me.

1 hour ago, BasalBanality said:

Will Phuket, Chiang Mai and Udon Thani airports make it to the news as well?

They will when the immigration bosses transfer their staff to plug the holes at the BKK airports. The revolving door of immigration staff is just hitting it's straps.

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Unbelievable! Why is this department seemingly totally incapable of training - and deploying - enough officers at BOTH airports?

It's like double doors all over Asia. They have TWO doors, but they only ever unlock one of them.

What's the point of having two doors, when you only ever use one?

Been asking myself that for 20 years or so now. Maybe I tink too mutt.

Edited by jaywalker

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Unbelievable! Why is this department seemingly totally incapable of training - and deploying - enough officers at BOTH airports?

It cannot be budget restraints, because the Immigration Bureau earns literally hundreds of millions of baht each and every month from visa applications, visa extensions and re-entry permits alone. Secondly, they do get a certain share from the departure taxes, as well as taxiing and landing fees charged by Airports of Thailand and factored into every flight ticket sold.

So it must be a human resources issue, I figure. But what exactly that entails, I cannot tell.

Is there a lack of interest because service at the airports doesn't leave enough opportunity for collecting tea money?

Is it that the Bureau cannot find enough people with a rudimentary command of English?

Is the stumbling block the inability or unwillingness of officers to acquaint themselves and memorize the rather convoluted immigration procedures and rules that often differ between citizens of a huge number of foreign countries?

Is the problem that they simply don't find people intelligent enough to be trained to operate the electronic equipment installed in the booths (as we all know, the local police force does not necessarily attract the brightest minds in the country).

Or is it simply that the Immigration Bureau - alas, like so many other government departments - has absolutely no idea whatsoever of human resources planning and looking ahead further than just a few days?

My hunch is that it might be a combination of all the above, though.          

Yes, I agree with you, one can only assume they are following, say, the UK way, budgeting, in most cases cutting staff, then spending the saved cash to invent another office department full to the brim of nobodies in smart clothes, highly paid, but doing nothing of use, the UK NHS is now a good example,(removed 'Matron' and replaced her with suits) create another highly paid pen pusher to improve the work patterns and make cuts, whilst the top none working one has deputies, that have secretaries and so on, the costs go up but the 'working Indians' at the sharp-end go down.

Not even close to good enough. A lame department, that really messed up. On top of the recent fiasco at DM. There, a more appropriate reaction would have been to say we really, really screwed up. The chairman of the department has tendered his resignation, and will hold a press conference, where he issues a sincere apology, and takes full responsibility, to those thousands and thousands of tourists, who arrived in Thailand, then had to spend the whole night in the airport. In addition to that, we are offering all tourists who were stranded, vouchers for five years worth of free, and completely unlimited visas, plus a 5,000 baht credit voucher, that can be spent in any hotel in the country.

Whenever immigration takes more than 60 minutes, they should issue some kind of credit voucher, for food at the airport. It is a very small way of saying we are not capable of taking care of this task, and therefore we would like to show some humility to our valuable, incoming guests. That would be a reasonable reply, or response, and might make those stranded tourists feel as if they were not completely abused, and treated like dogs, by the country that so adamantly claims how much it welcomes them.

Since the tourism numbers are going up so dramatically, why don't they make provisions for this? If tourism is expanding exponentially, why isn't the immigration department expanding in line with this? There is plenty of revenue to make this happen. It makes one wonder where that revenue is going. The entire situation smells foul. And reeks of incompetence and indifference. The neighboring countries are doing better. Thailand continues to lag way behind the curve. 

What is the real cause of all of this? A government possessing a lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, continuously bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. And the visiting tourists. It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. I am sure many feel the same way. But, unfortunately they are cursed with a government that is incompetent, myopic, non-visionary, indifferent, and reckless beyond imagination.

Little P. Moving Thailand backwards at a breath taking, and astonishing pace. Good job boys! 

Edited by spidermike007

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a very small way of saying we are not capable of taking care of this task, and therefore we would like to show some humility to our valuable, incoming guests.

BWAHAHAHA!

I agree with your entire post, but the part I quoted will never, ever happen. Then again, once a (any) government is in control of pretty much any and everything, you can expect it to be mismanaged by unmotivated, lazy staff.

Immigration Departments the world over are the worst of the worst when it comes to bureaucracy.

Edited by jaywalker

I have never seen a lineup like that outside the Immigration ramp. That's 13 years of flying in and out, the last 7 years about 5-8 times a year. The last time, late July, I walked the almost 1 km from gate to passport control and people were spilling down the ramp. I put on the jets and headed for the next ramp about 500 m around the next corner. Almost empty.

Still, I see empty chairs at the two-person passport control counters all the time, both on departure and arrival. It's rare to see both chairs occupied these days. I have a feeling many officers don't last long because the work is too hard and sustained. Plus, I believe many candidates simply don't have the head for visas and maybe don't have the cash to buy the job, too.

8 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I have never seen a lineup like that outside the Immigration ramp. That's 13 years of flying in and out, the last 7 years about 5-8 times a year. The last time, late July, I walked the almost 1 km from gate to passport control and people were spilling down the ramp. I put on the jets and headed for the next ramp about 500 m around the next corner. Almost empty.

Still, I see empty chairs at the two-person passport control counters all the time, both on departure and arrival. It's rare to see both chairs occupied these days. I have a feeling many officers don't last long because the work is too hard and sustained. Plus, I believe many candidates simply don't have the head for visas and maybe don't have the cash to buy the job, too.

& there lies another problem the incompetent staff that can't advice Tourists as to the most appropiate ramp to spread the influx 

2 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I have a feeling many officers don't last long because the work is too hard and sustained. Plus, I believe many candidates simply don't have the head for visas and maybe don't have the cash to buy the job, too.

Methinks you hit the nail on the head there my friend.

I doubt many have ever even traveled and have no earthly idea how one feels after a 27-30 travel time, with 20 of those hours in a metal tube, and on a 12 hour time change feel....NEWSFLASH....It's not all that pleasant.

DMK was great 15-20 years ago.

Now the Chinese hoards have invaded, along with the Russians & they simply cannot keep up.

I doubt they pay for their positions though, as there's generally not much bribery going on at immigration = another reason for them to take another civil service job where they get a cut of everything.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Just when you thought the incompetence was being worked on, an incident like this comes along and shows that these folks just never learn. Flying long haul and having a queue anything more than 20-30 minutes is just not acceptable.

It seems to me, reading about problems on many other airports with security and passport control, the blame should be laid somewhere else.

The mostly islamic induced niceties, ask for more and better checks on passengers.

And the softly, softly approach from authorities due to PC, does not help reducing the threats.

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Definitely worth a business class ticket at least, or just "drag the bag" (Thai wife) with you everywhere you go so you can go thru the Thai's Only lane with her.

With the lines so far out into the hallway, can you even get to the Thai lanes?

I'm heading to BKK next week and it'll be my first time using the Thai lane/automatic gates. If there's a huge queue, I'd like to avoid it if possible :)

10 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

& there lies another problem the incompetent staff that can't advice Tourists as to the most appropiate ramp to spread the influx 

I recall....it was maybe 2002/2003 or so, airport staff would flag everyone down AFTER they'd EXITED a flight, and want to see your BOARDING PASS????? This was in the jetway/walkway, about 10 meters from the aircraft door, nowhere near immigration.

Still trying to figure that one out. I was flying in/out of DMK once or twice a month & they did this for about 18 months.

The first two times it happened, half the (I was one of them) passengers had to go back and clamber all over the plane to look for our discarded boarding pass, as we were trying to GET OFF/LEAVE a flight!

Edited by jaywalker

18 minutes ago, QuantumMech said:

If there's a huge queue, I'd like to avoid it if possible :)

I doubt it.

If you get lucky, they may have someone speaking Thai, directing Thai's to go to the Citizen's side of the mess.

My wife goes thru the US side with me in Chicago (or wherever) in the US, & I hit the Thai side in Thailand when I'm with her.

I stood in line with her (like a dumb-ass) in Chicago once in the foreigner's lane for half an hour. The IO looked at me like an idiot (I was) & told me to take her thru the US Citizen's lane next time.

Edited by jaywalker

Most Asian countries have really worked to streamline immigration and ensure its a very fast process...  most... except... The Kingdom of Thailand! - which really relies on tourism.  Im not sure what the salary of an immigration officer is but you would think it would be worth a few baht to ensure a positive first impression for tourists and a free flow for business travellers.  

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

It cannot be budget restraints, because the Immigration Bureau earns literally hundreds of millions of baht each and every month from visa applications, visa extensions and re-entry permits alone. Secondly, they do get a certain share from the departure taxes, as well as taxiing and landing fees charged by Airports of Thailand and factored into every flight ticket sold.

So it must be a human resources issue, I figure. But what exactly that entails, I cannot tell.

Is there a lack of interest because service at the airports doesn't leave enough opportunity for collecting tea money?

Is it that the Bureau cannot find enough people with a rudimentary command of English?

Is the stumbling block the inability or unwillingness of officers to acquaint themselves and memorize the rather convoluted immigration procedures and rules that often differ between citizens of a huge number of foreign countries?

Is the problem that they simply don't find people intelligent enough to be trained to operate the electronic equipment installed in the booths (as we all know, the local police force does not necessarily attract the brightest minds in the country).

Or is it simply that the Immigration Bureau - alas, like so many other government departments - has absolutely no idea whatsoever of human resources planning and looking ahead further than just a few days?

My hunch is that it might be a combination of all the above, though.          

Mr Whisper I think you may find it relates to the Common Thai practice of forward planning - which rarely extends beyond "mmm what am I having for lunch"?

1 minute ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Most Asian countries have really worked to streamline immigration and ensure its a very fast process...  most... except... The Kingdom of Thailand! - which really relies on tourism.  Im not sure what the salary of an immigration officer is but you would think it would be worth a few baht to ensure a positive first impression for tourists and a free flow for business travellers.  

They are usually indifferent or friendly to me....about like anywhere. I almost had one cute female ready for a date (if I had asked her out), just because I said Sawatdee Khrap in perfect Thai (not hard to do). I was much younger back then even though I'm still a hansum man.

Who cares about their attitudes, just staff all the freaking desks when you have 9,000 inbound passengers would be OK.

Unrelated to Thailand, but related to immigration & airports, I've had a few US IO's ask me how long I've been out of the US.

Last time was....Errr...7 years. He said, sounds like fun man. Welcome back.

Got peeled off to the side & extensively grilled by somebody with a badge at Heathrow once, in transit from Abu Dhabi to Miami. Nice enough guy, but he asked me about 75 questions. Still have no idea why, and this was pre-9/11.

4 minutes ago, GR8fun in LOS said:

Mr Whisper I think you may find it relates to the Common Thai practice of forward planning - which rarely extends beyond "mmm what am I having for lunch"?

The "P" in Thailand stands for Planning.

I do not believe that Thailand lacks the number of immigration staff to man the booths. They are all stuck up at Chaeng Wattana and the like dealing with 90 day reports, extensions of stays and re-entry permits.  For the love of god make all 90 day reports online - mandatory they will not be accepted in person - that frees up huge numbers of officers currently doing nothing to help improve Thailand's image and development.

Re-entry permits and extensions of stays - combine the two into a single multiple entry extension of stay - frees up officers and I am sure that extensions of stay could also be done online once you have done the initial extension in person. - Submit scans of the documents with your fee and then just have an appointment to have the stamp put in - quick and easy. If the applicant screws up the application - do it again and pay again. 

I am amazed at just how far tech has come every time I return to the UK and then even more amazed at how Thailand is soo far behind the curve and how inefficiencies of time, money and effort could so easily be rectified. 

The number of people in Thailand doing the most menial of tasks is monumental. 

2 hours ago, missoura said:

Yesterday afternoon at Don Muang domestic departure. Fastest, I have ever seen. All lanes seemed open and the Thai staff were waving people through. Maybe 5 minutes at most.

domestic.jpg

Missoura from my simple knowledge we do not need Immigration Officers for Domestic flights. I could be wrong 

4 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I am amazed at just how far tech has come every time I return to the UK and then even more amazed at how Thailand is soo far behind the curve and how inefficiencies of time, money and effort could so easily be rectified. 

The number of people in Thailand doing the most menial of tasks is monumental. 

Pfff! The US spent two or three billion USD on the Obamacare website that doesn't work.

If you want something to NOT work online, then leave it up to the government.

Also, those "menial tasks" as you say are their rice bowls.