Mass pigeon kidnapping??!!

cmsally

I grew up in Yorkshire and I often had 'Pigeon Pie' for dinner. It was a cheap meal.

Some years ago there were incidents of vans collecting pigeons from Trafalgar Square to serve in local restaurants.  The police were powerless as no law was being broken.

'Rats with wings!'

18 hours ago, elektrified said:

I think the government is collecting them. I passed by about a week ago and some guys from the government were throwing large nets over flocks of them and putting them in cages and removing them.

...psittacosis is a terrible disease.

5 hours ago, fantom said:

Army to capture pigeons? I suppose if there are more than 5 in a flock they will be in contravention of some law or other, but why is the army being used? Surely there is a more appropriate authority to deal with the pigeon problem. Have the army any idea how to dispose of them humanely?

The army is being used due to the fact that the navy and their aircraft carrier couldn't make the turn in the klong

Pigeons are delicious... I used to eat them regularly in the UK... pigeon pie being my favourite.  But the pigeons for human consumptions are not the feral street pigeons... they are a special domesticated breed many times bigger and heavier than the feral pigeons which are harvested as young squabs when the have the most weight and tender meat....... like if you compare meat broiler chickens to the skinny Thai village ones.

The European wood pigeon is also eaten (but less so today).. this is a wild bird of the countryside.. a totally different species form the feral pigeon... and much larger... feeding mostly on vegetation and grains... not rubbish in the city.  

Policeman friend of mine in Taiwan told me that the mafia there dropped nets over bridges during the pigeon races and kidnapped them.  Mafia had the phone numbers & ID tag #'s of the owners so would then sms them to deposit 10,000-20,000nt (baht approx) into an account.  If you were told to pay 10,000 and your pigeon was #12345 they were told to deposit 10,123.45nt and they would then release your pigeon back home.   I guess if your pigeon was worth a lot more than that, it was worth paying up.    Mafia had homeless people open the accounts and when the cases were like this, he said impossible to solve.  Still goes on there today.  

Good riddance. They are flying rats, or flying roaches. They drive out the native birds as they are larger and compete for food and living spaces. Nest in buildings and leave droppings. Hope they get them all.

I also noticed there absence this morning. And good riddance too. Dirty filthy, feral, flying rats. Let's hope they have gone for good as they are not native to Thailand and therefore require permanent removal. Congratulations to whoever is responsible! 

On 8/11/2017 at 10:28 AM, chuang said:

Birdsnapping...:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:...I heard the chinese love roasted pigeons...

Nothing wrong with pigeon if prepared properly.... Same as dove....  The sad thing is that the portions are so small...

Edited by dingdongrb

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2560 at 1:55 AM, binjalin said:

They are disgusting carriers of mites and ticks. Their poo strips buildings with it's acidity. The only good pigeon is a dead pigeon.

in the wars pigeons saved thousands of lives,

18 pigeons won the dicken medal, flying messages back, look it up,

they arent all rats of they sky and the only goos pigeon is a dead one,