Thailand's Return to Democracy May Raise Tension

webfact

By Sunil Jagtiani

- Abhisit Vejjajiva sees potential tension in parliament

- Democrat Party leader expects polls after June next year

BANGKOK: -- Thailand faces the risk of discord between appointed senators and elected representatives after its expected return to democracy next year, according to former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Critics say the country’s 20th constitution will lead to an upper chamber that gives appointed soldiers, judges and bureaucrats the power to stifle politicians voted into the House of Representatives. Abhisit said if a coalition or single party manages to achieve a lower-house majority, senators could in theory try to block its candidate for prime minister.

"There could well be a tug-of-war after the election," the 53-year-old leader of the Democrat Party said in an interview on Aug. 8 in Bangkok. "I don’t subscribe to the view that the way it’s written means that the senators can call the shots. It’s not as easy as some people think."

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-10/thailand-faces-tug-of-war-after-next-election-ex-premier-says

-- Bloomberg 2017-08-11

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is quite correct, however it is way too late in the day to do anything about it.

Remember the expression 'Be careful what you wish for because you might get it'? Well you wanted this coup and no amount of buyer's remorse is going to help you now...

14 minutes ago, baboon said:

He is quite correct, however it is way too late in the day to do anything about it.

Remember the expression 'Be careful what you wish for because you might get it'? Well you wanted this coup and no amount of buyer's remorse is going to help you now...

Am gob smacked when people actually say they wanted this; the coup, the restricted rights, lack of say in government. 

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

that is not a democracy if senators are appointed but not elected

It's just another subtle variation on what has been perpetually labeled as Thailand's 'special' democracy by successive, unelected former generals, their sycophants, scoundrels and various other hangers-on.

Twas ever thus.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's just another subtle variation on what has been perpetually labeled as Thailand's 'special' democracy by successive, unelected former generals, their sycophants, scoundrels and various other hangers-on.

Twas ever thus.

That is true.....but if they are not blamed they might not know

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"I don’t subscribe to the view that the way it’s written means that the senators can call the shots. It’s not as easy as some people think."

Abhisit refutes senators can call the shots because "it's not as easy as some people think." Whether its easy or hard, the senatorial process exists that does allow the senate to control House legislation and even appoint an unelected PM.

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Am gob smacked when people actually say they wanted this; the coup, the restricted rights, lack of say in government. 

TV was flooded by comments from people cheering the coup in the days, weeks, and months after it happened.  People constantly amaze me with their stupidity.

2 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

What restrictions are you currently experiencing?

I can no longer buy international news papers and magazines that were once available in Thailand.  The junta's morality police have come down heavily on the north (Thaksin country) but I understand the no rules approach to nightlife continues in Bangkok and southern resorts.

There are also restrictions on what I can talk and post about, but I can't talk or post about them.

If half of the senators are appointed (by Prayut) how would it be possible to change anything in this kingdom??? As you need the majority for a change.

So Thailand's structure is cemented up to eternity?

33 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I can no longer buy international news papers and magazines that were once available in Thailand.  The junta's morality police have come down heavily on the north (Thaksin country) but I understand the no rules approach to nightlife continues in Bangkok and southern resorts.

There are also restrictions on what I can talk and post about, but I can't talk or post about them.

I personally am mystified that these type of restrictions would have a perpetual impact and cause aeonian discomfort to ones quality of (retired) life.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

26 minutes ago, SouthernDelight said:

I personally am mystified that these type of restrictions would have a perpetual impact and cause aeonian discomfort to ones quality of (retired) life.

Really?   Since repressive military rule is acceptable to you it should be acceptable to everyone?

Were you ever young, ambitious, idealistic, aspiring for a better life?  Or were you born an apathetic old man?

3 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

What restrictions are you currently experiencing?

Well each restriction listed here would be subject to a charge of Computer Crimes, with 15 years jail term, so pardon me if I choose to ignore your challenge.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Really?   Since repressive military rule is acceptable to you it should be acceptable to everyone?

Were you ever young, ambitious, idealistic, aspiring for a better life?  Or were you born an apathetic old man?

"Really? Since repressive military rule is acceptable to you it should be acceptable to everyone?"

Conjecture! I obviously am more adaptable to particular situations and am not sharing your view that the Thai military government is /repressive/; On the contrary - they have never ever bothered me in any way yet give me the opportunity to live here as long as I wish which is translating into a wonderful lifestyle coupled with free movement!

"Were you ever young, ambitious, idealistic, aspiring for a better life?"
I did exceed my goals, thanks for asking. I preserve the view that idealists are dreamers and high-mindedness is unrealistic.

"Or were you born an apathetic old man?"
I don't respond to immature 'cum' self-important remarks. If you feel mouthing on activities and affairs involved in managing a country in which you are a visitor to whom hospitality is extended in a generous manner then by all means go ahead and continue.

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Abhisit refutes senators can call the shots because "it's not as easy as some people think." Whether its easy or hard, the senatorial process exists that does allow the senate to control House legislation and even appoint an unelected PM.

The appointed ones will call the shots. Prayuth will make sure his "yes men" only have the guns.

6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

that is not a democracy if senators are appointed but not elected

Then Canada, Ireland and the UK aren't democracies!

Do some research. You'd be surprised how many countries have appointed upper chambers in their parliaments, whether called senates or some other title.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If they knew or understood Thai history not one of them would have been happy about the coup. 

Well, one shouldn't be surprised as the large number of folks that pretend to ramble on regarding Siamese and real contemporary Thai history and yet they still haven't a clue.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Then Canada, Ireland and the UK aren't democracies!

Do some research. You'd be surprised how many countries have appointed upper chambers in their parliaments, whether called senates or some other title.

well, well this forum is always a place to learn. Today I learned to compare Thailand with Canada, UK and even Ireland....All the same, even UK is a Kingdom. Thank you, Beerboxer for that lesson

2 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

"Really? Since repressive military rule is acceptable to you it should be acceptable to everyone?"

Conjecture! I obviously am more adaptable to particular situations and am not sharing your view that the Thai military government is /repressive/; On the contrary - they have never ever bothered me in any way yet give me the opportunity to live here as long as I wish which is translating into a wonderful lifestyle coupled with free movement!

"Were you ever young, ambitious, idealistic, aspiring for a better life?"
I did exceed my goals, thanks for asking. I preserve the view that idealists are dreamers and high-mindedness is unrealistic.

"Or were you born an apathetic old man?"
I don't respond to immature 'cum' self-important remarks. If you feel mouthing on activities and affairs involved in managing a country in which you are a visitor to whom hospitality is extended in a generous manner then by all means go ahead and continue.

" Conjecture! I obviously am more adaptable to particular situations and am not sharing your view that the Thai military government is /repressive/; "

Adaptable, apathetic, whatever.  When you are going along with a military government that came to power by toppling an elected government in order to prevent new elections, I think the best thing that can be said about your attitude is that you are apathetic.

"they have never ever bothered me in any way yet give me the opportunity to live here as long as I wish which is translating into a wonderful lifestyle coupled with free movement!"

Yes, having money to spare in a country with poor, obedient peasants grasping at any opportunity for a better life can be 'pleasant'.  I take it you haven't made friends with any Thais and don't care about how this government is holding them and the country back.

" I preserve the view that idealists are dreamers and high-mindedness is unrealistic. "

Another rationalization for apathy.  I am a retired USAF officer who is appalled by the military coup. the ongoing military government, and the number of westerners who should know better but support this government.  I don't think it's unrealistic to expect democracy in Thailand, I think that's the best hope for the country's future.