Young boy killed in car accident in Britain, prompting armed police response

webfact

Young boy killed in car accident in Britain, prompting armed police response

By Andy Yates

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - British armed police rushed to a hotel in the northern English city of Manchester on Thursday after a young boy was killed in a car accident in a car park.

Police said the boy died at the scene after a collision near the Ibis Budget Hotel in the Salford Quays area of the city.

"Officers from the Greater Manchester Police Serious Collision Unit and other emergency services are currently at the scene," police said.

Armed police attended the incident because they were in the area at the time, they said.

A Reuters photographer at the scene said a police forensics team was inspecting a vehicle in the car park at the back of the hotel.

A manager of the hotel told Reuters that there was no security threat and the incident involved a crash outside.

Earlier, The Sun newspaper said armed officers and around 15 police cars had rushed to the hotel.

(Additional reporting by Phil Noble in Manchester, Fanny Potkin and Michael Holden in London; Writing by William Schomberg; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-11

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Do you mean "hit twice" by a car?

Yes, it appears he was repeatedly run over. Not what I think of when reading the word "accident" which implies an unintentional act. As usual in these incidents there will be media blackouts and obfuscation.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/10/police-swoop-on-ibis-hotel-salford-after-reports-of-man-with-knife-and-gun-6844379/

41 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Yes, it appears he was repeatedly run over. Not what I think of when reading the word "accident" which implies an unintentional act. As usual in these incidents there will be media blackouts and obfuscation.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/10/police-swoop-on-ibis-hotel-salford-after-reports-of-man-with-knife-and-gun-6844379/

The report says the victim was 17 months old and it appears to have happened in a car park. Quite possible that the driver could reverse over a small child without realising it and then drive over the child again when moving forward.

So, yes, it could have been an accident.

Obliviously the police do not know the full facts when someone dial 999, and if it was mentioned that a person was run over multiple times by the same vehicle, Yes calling in an armed response team seems the right thing to do.

Talking to some police officers last year, they said it was not easy for the controllers because there were very few incidents they could send armed officers, just imagine armed officers turning up at ones local supper market to arrest a shop lifter, that would give the Sun something to write about.

41 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yet there is no mention of this on the BBC News website that I can find.

It is in the Telegraph and a couple of other papers and even MSN News.

Link on BBC website to Manchester Evening News provides coverage at...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/large-police-presence-ibis-hotel-13461811

13 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Despite what it says in your link; no mention in that report, or any other, of a man with a knife and gun! Although it does include this from a witness

‘I myself called the police and ambulance and begged them to send someone as it appeared someone was killed from all the commotion and screaming.

‘I was asked by the 999 operator if it was a possible gun shot and I explained I didn’t know but couldn’t be sure as it was very confusing with all the screaming and noises.’

The title of this topic, and headline in the OP, are wrong and totally misleading. This tragedy did not 'prompt' an armed police response. All the reports, even that in the OP, say that an armed unit arrived simply because they were in the area at the time.

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yet there is no mention of this on the BBC News website that I can find

You can't have looked very hard!

Boy dies in Salford Ibis Hotel car park collision

Edited by 7by7

7 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Because they were in the area? I seriously doubt that.

Why?

Although most British police are still unarmed, these days it is not unusual to see armed police patrolling, even on foot. Not just in large towns or cities, either.

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Despite what it says in your link; no mention in that report, or any other, of a man with a knife and gun! Although it does include this from a witness

The title of this topic, and headline in the OP, are wrong and totally misleading. This tragedy did not 'prompt' an armed police response. All the reports, even that in the OP, say that an armed unit arrived simply because they were in the area at the time.

You can't have looked very hard!

Boy dies in Salford Ibis Hotel car park collision

I must have missed it.

:sorry:

Edited by billd766