Five year Thai driving licence

Lancelot01

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no serious problems in renewing late. just make sure to renew within one year. otherwise, you're going to have to take the exam. also, there's a fine which will be calculated by number of days * full fine / 365 days. sorry, i don't know how much the full fine is.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Here you go

old site

IMG_5303.PNG

New siteIMG_1506.thumb.PNG.f530467623f401b61ab887f9fd35051f.PNG

So everyone else posted it was "no problem" but now this info states you must re-take the theory test.  So is that the  computer exam that really sucks?  Sounds like a problem to me.  

11 minutes ago, csabo said:

So everyone else posted it was "no problem" but now this info states you must re-take the theory test.  So is that the  computer exam that really sucks?  Sounds like a problem to me.  

I agree that it could be considerably clearer, but the way I read it only the physical test is required when renewing a 5-year driver's license within one year of expiration.

New Rules (posted above):
Under Procedure, Step 3 Take Only a Physical Test (by which they mean eye test, reaction test, depth perception, etc.).  It does go on to list four things:
1. Take I hour training (I think this is required.)

2. Take a physical test (required, as above.)

3. Take a written test (not required, as above.)

4.  Take a practical test (not required, as above.)

My reading of this is supported by the Remarks section which states that one year after expiration an applicant would additionally have to take the written test and three years after expiration an applicant would additionally have to take the practical test.  I read this to support that for a normal 5-year driver's license applicant (within one year of expiration) only the physical test is required.

5 minutes ago, twizzian said:

I read somewhere that if you lapse the now 2 year temporary licence over 1 day, the application & all the tests have to be done again, it's a complete re-start.

Is this true?

The screen shot posted above would seem to contradict that: no written test needed if within one year of expiration and no practical test needed if within three years of expiration.

I'm on my first 5-year license acquired the day before my 1-year (they were 1-year back then, but 2-year now) temporary license expired, so I can't contribute personal experience on that.

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

I agree that it could be considerably clearer, but the way I read it only the physical test is required when renewing a 5-year driver's license within one year of expiration.

New Rules (posted above):
Under Procedure, Step 3 Take Only a Physical Test (by which they mean eye test, reaction test, depth perception, etc.).  It does go on to list four things:
1. Take I hour training (I think this is required.)

2. Take a physical test (required, as above.)

3. Take a written test (not required, as above.)

4.  Take a practical test (not required, as above.)

My reading of this is supported by the Remarks section which states that one year after expiration an applicant would additionally have to take the written test and three years after expiration an applicant would additionally have to take the practical test.  I read this to support that for a normal 5-year driver's license applicant (within one year of expiration) only the physical test is required.

Health attest is required too.

Does anyone know if you can do it early because of travels also? And if so, how early? Like within 30 days? And what must one bring with them before going there? I assume old license? Passport and visa? Some cash? What else? Maybe another doctor's note from fake physical test? Anything else?

44 minutes ago, jasonsamui55 said:

Does anyone know if you can do it early because of travels also? And if so, how early? Like within 30 days? And what must one bring with them before going there? I assume old license? Passport and visa? Some cash? What else? Maybe another doctor's note from fake physical test? Anything else?

Letter of Residence from Immigration. Can go 30 days early, no problem.

renewed in July 6 months out of date 5 year licence. Documents

yellow book.

copy of non o visa.

copy of Pink ID card as proof of ID

filled in form went for reaction tests

was asked if i understand Thai language  (do but said NO) no 1 hr video (thank god)

no fine issued with new 5 year licence after 1.5 hrs. KK by the way.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

renewed in July 6 months out of date 5 year licence. Documents

yellow book.

copy of non o visa.

copy of Pink ID card as proof of ID

filled in form went for reaction tests

was asked if i understand Thai language  (do but said NO) no 1 hr video (thank god)

no fine issued with new 5 year licence after 1.5 hrs. KK by the way.

The video in Pattaya Transport has English subtitles, so you have to watch it.

11 hours ago, jasonsamui55 said:

Rayong  5 year to 5 year, arrive early 7.30, to get queue number office opens at 8am, eye sight and reaction tests required, have to suffer a talk and video all in Thai, can do up to 3 month early, need residents certificate, but no no doctor cert.

On 8/14/2017 at 11:01 AM, csabo said:

The second picture refers to application for a new license, not to renewal.

On 14/08/2017 at 7:52 AM, irwinfc said:

no serious problems in renewing late. just make sure to renew within one year. otherwise, you're going to have to take the exam. also, there's a fine which will be calculated by number of days * full fine / 365 days. sorry, i don't know how much the full fine is.

There is NO fine for renewing your licence late. SWMBO just renewed late.

There is a fine for renewing you vehicle tax late

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is NO fine for renewing your licence late. SWMBO just renewed late.

There is a fine for renewing you vehicle tax late

Yes took me by suprise last year screwed up the car tax by two months. No problems renewing it but they slapped an extra 1k on the price. Asked immediatley why apparantley its 500 a month if late? Up to a maximum of 3k. No idea if thats true money wise i knew there would be a fine though

51 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes took me by suprise last year screwed up the car tax by two months. No problems renewing it but they slapped an extra 1k on the price. Asked immediatley why apparantley its 500 a month if late? Up to a maximum of 3k. No idea if thats true money wise i knew there would be a fine though

It's actually a percentage of the tax not a flat fee

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It's actually a percentage of the tax not a flat fee

As i said i really dont know. The full amount i paid is in tbe book so nothing was skimmed off. 2840 this year spot on time last year 3840 2 months and a few days late. Year before that 2840 spot on time.

On 8/14/2017 at 0:28 PM, giddyup said:

I just renewed my 5 year licence two weeks ago. There is only the colour, reaction and perception tests, plus watching a 45 minute video. That's it, nothing else.

Totally agree with this as I have just renewed my 5 years DL last week and this is the 3th time renewing my as it is 16th years license. Cheers

Archived