Britain says there will be no Brexit bill figure by October

webfact

Britain says there will be no Brexit bill figure by October

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union David Davis (L) and European Union's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier hold a joint news conference after the round of Brexit talks in Brussels, Belgium July 20, 2017. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will not have agreed a figure with the European Union for its so called Brexit divorce bill by October, Brexit Secretary David Davis said on Tuesday.

The EU wants agreement on how the exit bill - to be paid in euros - will be calculated before talks can move on to Britain's future relationship with the bloc.

"We're going to talk it through very, very carefully, so at this stage we're not going to commit, there won't be a number by October or November, whenever it is," Davis told BBC radio.

Davis said any Brexit transition should be over by the date of the next British national election, due by May 2022, but was likely to last for about two years.

"It's got to be done by the election. I would say the most likely is something like two years, maybe a bit shorter," Davis said.

He did not give a definitive answer about whether the European Court of Justice be the arbiter during for an interim customs deal but said Britain would next week set out its proposals on post-Brexit international arbitration.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge and Kate Holton; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-15

Clueless as usual.  This statement says nothing at all except we won't fix a figure by October or November or.....  They just stagger along getting nowhere.  The transition period should be over by the next election in 2022 which is five years away  How much more embarrassing can this get?

OK so Davis is now saying the UK wants a "customs union agreement" to run through the transition period.  This means that if that period runs until 2022 (which is very likely) then we will not be able to do any trade agreements anywhere outside of the EU until after that date and not (as was thought) at the point of exit.  Before any of the "just leave now" brigade start their rants, best to look at the reasons Davis has asked for this.  He admits that on leaving the EU there would be chaos if an agreement cannot be agreed on the customs union.  So if we just left now just how much chaos do you think the country would be in?

The EU has responded saying that until the divorce outline is agreed they cannot discuss any of these issues.  

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

best to leave this thread to the '' Brexit is crazy'' brigade, as they seem to have all the answers

Quite right because the Brexit brigade never can find anything positive to say in defence.

Nice avatar though.  I used to drive a mark one Lotus Cortina many years ago :wink: 

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

? Hilarious!

He's always been inept. Not that that's a barrier to progression in politics.

But, a shrewd negotiator would have demanded audited EU accounts be produced first as a firm, level, and neutral starting point. Not the Juncker/Barnier/Merkel/Macron back of a fag packet wish list calculations.

When was the last time the EU produced audited certified accounts?

27 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

But, a shrewd negotiator would have demanded audited EU accounts be produced first as a firm, level, and neutral starting point. Not the Juncker/Barnier/Merkel/Macron back of a fag packet wish list calculations.

Well shrewd negotiators we ain't got.  They are all on the EU side and they hold most of the cards.  At the moment the UK cannot get beyond the start gate.  It is not just a matter of Davis and the boys (and girl) being inept, they have been given a mountain to climb and only second hand plimsoles to do it.  

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Everyone is simple speculating. Unless they know what Exactly what is being discussed behind closed doors. Makes me wonder if the Remoaners on T.V. Show their cards,when playing poker.

56 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Everyone is simple speculating. Unless they know what Exactly what is being discussed behind closed doors. Makes me wonder if the Remoaners on T.V. Show their cards,when playing poker.

Game of poker?  to play poker you need people sitting at the same table.  So far the UK haven't turned up with any chips to play with.

I do like your blind faith though that beneath the surface they are all negotiating away and winning points every day  :smile: 

Edited by dunroaming

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Game of poker?  to play poker you need people sitting at the same table.  So far the UK haven't turned up with any chips to play with.

I do like your blind faith though that beneath the surface they are all negotiating away and winning points every day  :smile: 

Whereas you, with no inside information to go on, clearly know exactly what is going on?

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

I would have more faith in your credibility if you dropped the childish ' remoaners ' nonsense.I actually think it will turn out fine in the end but it will be a tough road , we need to pull together not trade silly insults.

Edited by joecoolfrog

A currency trader (I know) believes that £ will have a rocky road ahead, mainly on the downside, because the UK will not find it easy to agree future trading deals outside the EU, because those countries find it cheaper to trade with the EU.  And that's going to be the UK's Achilles heel. In other words it's going to cost the UK (as an independent) more to trade outside the EU than at present. 

And as a leading UK politician says, if it's a soft Brexit for a transition period of two years mirroring our current situation what's the advantages of leaving? We're just not big enough as our consumer demand is merely 4.5% of the world's consumer trade, most food of which we get from the EU.  And also think of how much this Brexit process is costing the government, which will have to be borne by the taxpayers.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The EU’s Court of Auditors regularly “signs off” the reliability of the accounts themselves, and has given them a clean bill of health for the last eight years.

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-auditors-sign-eu-budget/

"It’s often argued that the EU’s budget both has and hasn’t been signed off by auditors for years.

Both sides have a point. The EU’s Court of Auditors regularly “signs off”—in its own words—the reliability of the accounts themselves, and has given them a clean bill of health for the last eight years.

But it has consistently found significant errors in how the money is paid out since it began giving opinions in 1995.

Ultimately, it depends on what you think the term “signed off” implies about the accounts."

"Conclusion

Auditors say the accounts are accurate and have been since 2007. But they record significant errors in how money is paid, and this has been the case since 1995."

The above is copied straight from the source you kindly referenced. That "clean bill of health" might benefit from the qualifications of the following sentences.

14 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I believe David won!

When you believe in the bible, then you are right.

In real life it's normal - especially in the economy - that Goliath wins.

BTW, following madame May's staunch words "Brexit means Brexit" then please with all consequences. That means not cherry picking. If you had to make a "deal" where your former partner only would like to pick the cherries after leaving you , would you then give him all the cherries he/she  wants?

If the UK doesn't like regulation, custom-free trading with the EU, free movement for EU people etc. then it should build it's own laws. Surprisingly nearly all of the EU-regulations/-laws will be adopted into UK law. Only a low percent is to be changed. Most of it will be like "replace EU by UK (or maybe England at that time)". And that process will take a lot of years for finishing.

One thing already is obvious, the Brexiteers made propaganda with big mouths like Johnson and Farage, but without any single plan/strategy  how to go on. Farage left the Brexiteers like a dog jamming his tail between the legs.

Most of the people in the EU, including me, would like to see the UK wouldn't leave the EU, for many, many positive reasons. There will only be losers. The UK alone against the EU, US, China and other upcoming countries will be a dwarf with a national pride, but no real power. The EU power is diminished, too.

What disappoints me mostly is that the UK missed the point to belong to an international community that was free of inside wars, supporting weaker members, fighting cruel capitalism and strong nationalism. The list goes on.

Edited by puck2

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The EU’s Court of Auditors regularly “signs off” the reliability of the accounts themselves, and has given them a clean bill of health for the last eight years.

The EU's own auditors. Should this not be done by an impartial auditor?

"It’s often argued that the EU’s budget both has and hasn’t been signed off by auditors for years.
Both sides have a point. The EU’s Court of Auditors regularly “signs off”—in its own words—the reliability of the accounts themselves, and has given them a clean bill of health for the last eight years.
But it has consistently found significant errors in how the money is paid out since it began giving opinions in 1995.
Ultimately, it depends on what you think the term “signed off” implies about the accounts."
"Conclusion
Auditors say the accounts are accurate and have been since 2007. But they record significant errors in how money is paid, and this has been the case since 1995."

The above is copied straight from the source you kindly referenced. That "clean bill of health" might benefit from the qualifications of the following sentences.

But the same would also apply to UK govt accounts

"Sir John Bourn, Comptroller and Auditor General at the UK's National Audit Office told us that, were he required to issue a single Statement of Assurance on the UK Government's accounts in the same way as the Court of Auditors does for Europe's accounts, he, like the Court, would be unable to do so (Q 192). This is because last year he issued a qualified opinion on 13 of the 500 accounts of the British Government which he audits (Q 190)."

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200506/ldselect/ldeucom/270/27005.htm#a11

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

55 minutes ago, Orac said:

But the same would also apply to UK govt accounts

"Sir John Bourn, Comptroller and Auditor General at the UK's National Audit Office told us that, were he required to issue a single Statement of Assurance on the UK Government's accounts in the same way as the Court of Auditors does for Europe's accounts, he, like the Court, would be unable to do so (Q 192). This is because last year he issued a qualified opinion on 13 of the 500 accounts of the British Government which he audits (Q 190)."

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200506/ldselect/ldeucom/270/27005.htm#a11

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

But the UK isn't demanding money from the EU, is it?

12 hours ago, stephenterry said:

A currency trader (I know) believes that £ will have a rocky road ahead, mainly on the downside, because the UK will not find it easy to agree future trading deals outside the EU, because those countries find it cheaper to trade with the EU.  And that's going to be the UK's Achilles heel. In other words it's going to cost the UK (as an independent) more to trade outside the EU than at present. 

And as a leading UK politician says, if it's a soft Brexit for a transition period of two years mirroring our current situation what's the advantages of leaving? We're just not big enough as our consumer demand is merely 4.5% of the world's consumer trade, most food of which we get from the EU.  And also think of how much this Brexit process is costing the government, which will have to be borne by the taxpayers.

What spooks the money markets is uncertainty and that will be with us for years to come. Sterling was certain to fall sharply following an out vote and that is the ( extremely selfish ) reason I voted to remain.

In time I am confident that Sterling will bounce back and that the economy will be fine. However I will be several thousands of pounds down by the time that happens.

18 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

What spooks the money markets is uncertainty and that will be with us for years to come. Sterling was certain to fall sharply following an out vote and that is the ( extremely selfish ) reason I voted to remain.

In time I am confident that Sterling will bounce back and that the economy will be fine. However I will be several thousands of pounds down by the time that happens.

Well at least your truefull,and full marks to you. It's a pity the Remoaners cannot get behind the majority of voters, instead of wishing the country down.