Pattaya's sewage treatment plants just can't cope, meeting told

snoop1130

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Finally found the plant at Soi Phon Praphanimit, Photos of both establishments would suggest that neither facility is working, very similar to the bar screen and pumping station near the entrance to Walking Street. A very strange situation !

I might be wrong but the Soi being mentioned above would that be the Soi referred to as Soi Siam Country Club, if so the spelling then should be Soi Phonpranimit. if so Soi 5, is right after the Wanasin market which have been dug up for over or near three years and still unfinished the reason as they break up the road to put in drains they are finding nothing but rogue water (rivers) or waste flowing underneath the current road. I don't believe this plant has been working for years?

What I'm also finding out all those drains they are putting in on Soi Siam don't actually lead to a plant or reservoir? I've seen at certain locations large blue PVC in certain drains lead water into someone empty piece of land. One in particular on Soi Siam (new Shell Gas station) opposite is a cemetery and up the driveway is a school you will notice a large pool of water. I seen these pipe from the new drain leading into pool area prior to them paving the road.

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Wait untill the millions of Indian visitors arrive, than we have even more sewagewater to clean.

This is just a disadvantage from the more tourists is better plan...better have less tourists who spend more..

I doubt the Indians will notice it...probably look pristine to them

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

More to the point, why wasn't it identified 5 years ago that the system will soon reach it's capacity and something already done to massively increase the system capacity before it can become as issue.

Again. Gross lack of planning, and some heads should role. 

There are plenty of very capable people in this country but 99% of them will never get to positions of valuable analysis, anticipation of future needs, policy development, innovations etc., because they can't afford the promotion 'fees'.

Google overloaded sewerage systems UK. Thailand is not alone.

12 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Come to Pattaya on the Dead Sea:

Experience a fetid ocean breeze, while your kids build sludge castles on our beach. Receive an instant tan from a short dip in our caustic waters which will make you the envy at home. Mouthwatering fresh catch of the day is being washed on shore while the supplies last. The Queen of the Eastern Seaboard will provide you with everlasting memories of skin rashes, diarrhea, vomit and infectious disease, courtesy of our hard working authorities. Enjoy

or go somewhere else.....why put yourself through the agony?

12 hours ago, Deli said:

Unexpected ? Building more and more hotels brings more and more waste, same thing with the traffic.

But thinking and planning requires some brain, valid not only for Pattaya.

Or a tax like in the UK to drive into certain areas .

On 8/17/2017 at 6:45 PM, Oztruckie said:

Well if they want to make Pattaya a family friendly resort,first thing to do is b sure the water is good enough for swimming, once word gets out about Pattaya water quality,bye bye Pattaya,in this world of social media,word spreads like wildfire.

How many Thais do you know who go to the beach to actually swim.......very few I think.

In fact many posters on this forum complained a while ago when the beach chair vendors were going to be removed. They claimed they expected to go to the beach, sit in the shade and be served food and drink. They aren't going there to swim either.

Also letting all the Thai's and Farangs know that Storm Drains are for water only, KOTO sees people daily dumping Toxic Trash into them...:(

Again Imposing fines, education, signs, I do the best I can, but that's not good enough...:(

14.1.jpg

14.2.jpg

I would guess that under capacity sewage treatment facilities are the rule throughout the country and have been for years.  The problem will undoubtedly be that decades of appointed officials wanted to spend their budget on things that were good for their egos or pockets not for the good of the population.   Other than by gross dereliction of responsibility, how do we get a city producing 80000litres of sewage with a capacity to handle 65000 litres without some sort of plan or strategy to cope.  Is there even an idea where such a treatment facility could be built?  That would be a start but now the ghastly facts are published, it might be a good idea to start thinking how and where it could be fixed.

How many other Thai cities are in the exact same situation?   Submarines, aircraft carriers new tanks and fast trains and missiles are not where the true priorities lie.  They are all ego trips, or to pay back favours and keep support in important sectors.  Nero  and Rome!

Edited by The Deerhunter

On 8/17/2017 at 7:12 AM, darksidedog said:

This is simply telling us something that we knew already. The water is seriously shitty and getting worse. Here's an idea, rather than uselessly raiding bars for the sake of being seen to do something, invest in the water treatment that is actually needed for a city this size. Because tourists are the lifeline of the place, and they wont be seen here if there is a constant supply of floating turds in the water at the beach.

I love the place and used to go 2 times a year, beginning in 2004.  But over the years, despite all the fun things to do, I really miss swimming in a clean water beach.  Jomtien used to be swimmable, but not any more.  I have avoided the place, and that is a shame because it was such an easy and fun city.  Decent hotels,  I love walking around.  I loved the baht bus system.  Hop on hop off.   Didn't really need to rent a motorbike or car or anything like that and I was quite content to hoof it.  Plenty of night life.  The hill for some peace and quiet.  Decent hotel pools.  Loved the international food.  Heck I think I eat as much German food as Thai food while there.  Throw in some sushi, of course the Thai barbecue places and that great sauce.  cheap and easy KISS at any time of day.  can't beat the simple shrimp fried rice and a watermelon shake.  Foot massage, oil massage, etc.  Easy 1 1/2 hour bus ride from BKK, either by Bell with the subsequent door to door or the other bus then catch a motorbike taxi at the top of Pattaya Klang.

But clean the water!  The infrastructure is so not there.  It would be a billion dollar fix to dig up all the streets, install sewars, connect and retrofit all the hotels and restaurants, big pipes to pump to a treatment plant.  pretty much won't happen.  Too bad because it is a naturally beautiful area.  well it was, before they hacked down all the tress along the beach road.

We just had a wonderful vacation in Chantaburi Provence, if you have never been, go.   One does not have to go far to realize what responsible city planning for the positive healthy tourism financial future looks like.  I would recommend those from farther provinces coming here to see first-hand what mismanagement of resources and poor planning will look like in their future.  It's draining to know that Pattaya, which is such a revenue hub of businesses and development must suffer from so much greed that the old saying "you don't shit where you eat was totally forgotten", as "would you drink your own piss for a million dollars" rings truer in this case.

So much money dumped down the wrong toilets polluting its once best resource.   No time like the present to start the shift of thought of money, to better the community than one's personal consumer junk pile. 

Well, the next nail in the coffin for world media will be the marina, yacht show.   Who want's to show case their yachts in front of a derelict building that's been rotting to the environment.  Or the marina water toxic waste pit.  Or the hillside behind it full of homeless prostitute drug users and rabies infested packs of soi dogs of controlled breeding chasing you around.  Or go for a walk down the road and get clouded out by the dust particles of uncleaned streets and missing sidewalks let alone to be engulfed  by unmaintained diesel buses and trucks leaving clouds of black soot from their burning chimney engines of environmental disasters which haul around the group tours that block all the roads with their illegal parking.  Parking speaking of parking, where are all those buses going to park now with the yacht show on?    Maybe the answer is to put a curfew on during the day to keep the eyes off the forgotten and lights on the charade.   This one will be a long shot, will a yacht sink?   Has anyone accounted for all that sunken derelict steel jagged debris that was once a floating wharf constructed for the Marina showcase backdrop construction of the tower of city urban post, "Do as you want as long as you share with me and my counsel"?   Who is going to tackle the environmental floating waste ships in the harbor that are dumping?  You know the ones that haul thousands of tour bus humanoids off shore to drink, dance and eat seafood.  Who monitors the waste management of these facilities the same ones monitoring the 30 thousand barrels of waste overflow polluting the seas, I would guess not.   We used to have an environmental broadcast commercial in Canada about polluting our waters when dumping garbage in the sea a boy asked his father where it went and he said away.  Perhaps a harsh parody like this could be done here to change peoples opinions and perspectives.

One thing for sure the new construction of the highway bypass and underpass will have an effect of allowing people to bypass the city without having to stop and take a look of what mismanagement of resources looks like.  

Good luck army and navy and keep on fighting the good fight.

Worse yet, the filth floating on the surface accounts for only 5 percent of all the plastic trash dumped into the sea. According to Ocean Conservancy, a US environmental nonprofit, the other 95 percent is submerged beneath, where it strangles underwater creatures and wrecks the aquatic ecosystem.

It turns out that five countries are the leading contributors to this crisis. And all are in Asia.

In a recent report, Ocean Conservancy claims that China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are spewing out as much as 60 percent of the plastic waste that enters the world’s seas.

Read more: https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-01-12/5-countries-spew-more-plastic-oceans-rest-world-together

21 hours ago, Thaidream said:

A perfect example is the tunnel project- way overpriced. A flyover would have cost a third of the tunnel price and be finished in 6 months. 

A prefect example of another boondoggle courtesy off the robbers from the prior fill yer boots administration. Tunnel, marina, Beach and Jomtien road widening, pedestrian crossings, the painfully slow Pratumnak Hill road improvement, the Makro u-turns, the stalled SSCC road works.

Probably explains why the junta's current administration have had a prolonged struggle opening an otherwise complete tunnel. Taking over at City Hall must have been like opening a can of worms.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

the painfully slow Pratumnak Hill road improvement

Woof! I'd forgotten about that one. It was dust & dirt forever thru there. Quite a few businesses almost went out of business along that stretch of Thappraya Rd.

To be honest- Pattaya has always been known as the greatest soak away on the planet. 

I presume they mean treating effluent scooped up from the cess pits of hotels and condos . I don't think there is any main sewage system. 

The rain drainage simply goes into the sea- along with all the rubbish, dead rats , restaurant waste etc etc. 

3 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

It's always an issue after the fact. Floods all over the country. Stinky smelly canals in Bangkok, ocean pollution in Pattaya. Why can't the government act before a calamity occurs not after. Again poor planning or no planning at all

Money is the answer some like it in their own pockets and that's where it goes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

It's always an issue after the fact. Floods all over the country. Stinky smelly canals in Bangkok, ocean pollution in Pattaya. Why can't the government act before a calamity occurs not after. Again poor planning or no planning at all

"Why can't the government act before a calamity occurs not after."  Yup, be pro-active NOT re-active! 

The 6 P's - Proper Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance!  :thumbsup:

And that applies to just about anything.

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

Pattaya beach is in a truly awful state today. Mostly plastics and a smelly black scum. Those tourists disembarking boats from Koh Larn do not look impressed as they wade through it. The tide is on its way in so the problem will be hidden for a while. Depressing.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, thailand49 said:

Let me add to the shit being said about the government officials here.  Look in the mirror then after that go out to the top of Beach Road and work you way down to the front of Walking St.. look at all the money wasted.

A. Remove all the tree to widen the road and then replant the trees again

estimate over 100 million

B. Signal lights for pedestrians 125 million, that no one uses because they are unsafe

C. 800 plus million for the underpass tunnel on Sukhumvit

While all the attention and money being spent to bring in tourist to this city it isn't rocket science or is it that you need to invest in plants and reservoirs basic utilities for the increase populations.

Go out on Hwy 7, when you get to Nongprue, turn your head and look at the number of structure that look like mini sport complexes, they are all built for the Chinese tour group.  Future project already approved is the stupid Tram service

Stop now these stupid project and stop the shit of wasting the Thai people money!

Pedestrian signal lights not used because they aren't turned on. When they did work lots of people used them.

They built the new beach walk to try and bring more tourists to Pattaya. Once they get there, no one cares if their experience is bad or not. The entire tourist policy is one of quantity, not quality.

Most tourists probably stay in the resort with the occasional bus tour outside- they don't care as long as they have a bar and a pool.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, Blue bruce said:

Perhaps you haven't been in LOS long. When you've been here long enough you will know why.

You have to stop thinking like someone in a western country.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pedestrian signal lights not used because they aren't turned on. When they did work lots of people used them.

They built the new beach walk to try and bring more tourists to Pattaya. Once they get there, no one cares if their experience is bad or not. The entire tourist policy is one of quantity, not quality.

Most tourists probably stay in the resort with the occasional bus tour outside- they don't care as long as they have a bar and a pool.

Not going to even try to dispute the last comment but I will on the first two since I know it first hand a few years ago when I spoke to the vice mayor of Pattaya.

When they were first turn on, the had rented cops standing waving vehicle to slow down when the light turn green and when you did stop drivers had to worry about the vehicle behind them crashing into them. The first day, I tested them when I stopped the guy behind got pissed that I stopped and started applying his horn. 

Pedestrian stopped using them because cars didn't stop consistently and they were too far apart. It became safer for pedestrian to just take their chances because of the two above situation. This is the reason they were turn off!

As for Beach road, sure the tourist benefited from it being widen but the main reason was the congestion due all the motorbike rental vendors which they didn't have the balls to tell them to move. The vendors particular at Beach Road and Pattaya Klang at the left turn area created a bottleneck along with Central festival opening the the main entrance into the complex created more congestion.

We can agree to disagree the above but the fact remains the shit will continue to flow until they spend money wisely on upgrading their facilities and that would also include Water treatment and their Electrical grit which would help with tourist and the growing population. 

Edited by thailand49