Immigration Volunteers make life easier

There not there to do your paper work for you, you need your papers in order long in advance of your arrival.

No they don't know, they are not experts, they are volunteers there to help with filling forms, translations.

They are there to bridge the language barrier mostly.

They can get answers to your questions for you, but you need to know what to ask.

If you can not figure it out get a professional company to do the paper work for you and accompany you to immigration..

The online requirements are on line and simple.

59 minutes ago, ksamuiguy said:

There not there to do your paper work for you, you need your papers in order long in advance of your arrival.

No they don't know, they are not experts, they are volunteers there to help with filling forms, translations.

They are there to bridge the language barrier mostly.

They can get answers to your questions for you, but you need to know what to ask.

If you can not figure it out get a professional company to do the paper work for you and accompany you to immigration..

The online requirements are on line and simple.

So what are they doing there if they don't know ? Go back home and sleep, better !

5 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

I suggested it to the Korat (Nakhromratchisma ) Office a long time ago about using foreign volunteers.  They were receptive but had another idea as well. They have "college students" now checking paperwork with a Sr. Officer overseeing it.  These students are looking to become immigration officers upon graduation. So they learn the paper work and what is required. The system works for the most part for general visa issues.  They have the 90 day Report own to breeze. In and out in less than 5 minutes most of the time and that's without any students helping.

The Phuket Office does this as well as having the Volunteers. Students shadow a lot of the officers. Out of four staff in the retirement Permit office 2 are students.

• Like 1

Korat works pretty good.  The students check all of your papers and then pass them to the supervising Imm Officer.  You then get a number and after that should be no issues.  My last extension took 40 mins.  Of course that assumes you have all the required documentation  -  which really isn't that hard. 

Hua Hin immigration doesn't really need any foreign volunteers. Service has always been very good in spite of the increasing number of tourists. They keep moving to bigger offices to accommodate this. Retirement visas for me and my expat friends during the last 12 years take an average 20 minutes. The special counter for 90 day reporting just takes a couple of minutes

I don't entirely agree with the op I suspect he is a budding volunteer lol.

Volunteers are for the most part helpful for tourists and the like but little more than a hindrance

to long term expats doing their umpteenth retirement/marriage extension. Thankfully they have

to a degree separated these tasks at Phuket. In the past I often shuddered when I heard some of

the completely wrong advice being proffered by, often, long term volunteers.

Many of them have at best a sketchy knowledge of the immigration regulations sadly, not entirely

their fault as I don't think volunteering involves much in the way of training??

Now if we could just get a 90 day dedicated desk/room life would be much improved.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Jomtien immigration Pattaya has a few volunteers also.

I seen several reports over time for both offices where the volunteers gave out incorrect info. The most grievous is ones is telling people they don't qualify for an extension when they do.

Yes. There was one volunteer there for many years ... can't recall his name ... who was helpful and knew what he was talking about, but one volunteer who came after him was an annoying pain in the derriere. I don't think he lasted very long.

I am quite happy to deal directly with the Thai staff. 

• Like 2

I've found the volunteers in Jomtien very helpful. Also, they should put students and those studying to be immigration officers etc in the Visa sections of every immigration office, and police stations. Most police do not have a word of any other foreign language. 

I believe the OP is over stating the problems at CM Immigration. I have been getting extensions here for 7 years and the only real problem I have had was Qing up at 4am to do the extension of stay. I have never had a 90 day report take all day and as for extensions only once could it have been all day except the officer told me to come at 1pm because of my Q number. I went home and took a nap back at 1pm out in a hour.

As for officers speaking English never a problem

"i spoke to one of the Phuket volunteers today, and he told me that no other Immigration office in Thailand had taken a leaf out of their book and had set up such a system."

TIT.  It took a bona fide natural disaster to change Phuket's approach...   It's surprising that even Phuket continued with it once the crisis had passed and world attention had moved on.

13 hours ago, londoedan said:

Very true - the 2 young lass's that help out at the front of the Jomtien office do a fantastic job. I was in/out in less than 20 mins yesterday.

I've never seen the Soi 5 office quieter - not sure what that indicates.

The calm before the storm?

Jontiem are prone to giving out false information and not knowing what can be given inside and what cant.

Example COR for opening a bank account. Outside "no they wont do that" inside yes no problem. I dont bother with outside staff now when assisting friends get a COR down there now.

Edited by jeab1980

I have always found the volunteers at Phuket immigration extremely helpful.  Had some problems earlier this month and they very helpfully sorted it out.

By the way - the volunteers at Phuket do have training before being put behind the desk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I have always found the volunteers at Phuket immigration extremely helpful.  Had some problems earlier this month and they very helpfully sorted it out.

By the way - the volunteers at Phuket do have training before being put behind the desk.

Well either the training is abysmally poor or the volunteers don't learn too well or are extremely dim??

Edited by phuketjock
  • Like 1