Flying Using Pink "No Thai" ID>

My girlfriend is from Myanmar and the only ID she has is a pink "Non Thai" ID restricted to her living and travelling within Chiang Mai.

Previously she wanted to fly to Phuket so she visited her consulate and they gave her a letter with photo and copy of ID in it. No problem flying.

Today we had a medical appointment for our 10 month old baby in Bangkok. I booked flights, hotel for 2 nights and transport to and from hotel and airport. She went to consulate to get letter but, for some reason, would not give her one. So we went to an agent who she had used to obtain her pink ID. They charged 1000B and got the letter. On check in at the airport yesterday the airline refused her to fly because this letter did not mention Bangkok. So 15,000B worth of flights, accomodation and transport wasted. I contacted Expedia who I had booked through and were very helpful including contacting the hotel to cancel but the hotel refused a refund. Expedia did give me a aud$100 credit for next time.

Today we went back to the agent and told him the story. Basically we were told our problem and nothing was done.

My question is does anyone else have wife, girlfriend in this situation and what do they do if they need to fly?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

My question is does anyone else have wife, girlfriend in this situation and what do they do if they need to fly?

If her pink ID card was issued by an Amphoe she can get permission from them if she wants to travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If her pink ID card was issued by an Amphoe she can get permission from them if she wants to travel.

She used an agent to get her pink ID. Don't really know who actually issued it.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

How did she get into Thailand without a passport in the first place?

They cross over borders at army border posts. She went back home one time and I took her to Baan Norlei where she went through the army border posts and came back same way. No passport needed.

49 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

They cross over borders at army border posts. She went back home one time and I took her to Baan Norlei where she went through the army border posts and came back same way. No passport needed.

The agent should be able to get the proper permission. Not sure why it did not include Bangkok on the last one.

I assume she has been registered as a migrant worker and got the card that way.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The agent should be able to get the proper permission. Not sure why it did not include Bangkok on the last one.

I assume she has been registered as a migrant worker and got the card that way.

We went back to the agent today and she explained to the boss the problem. He said Myanmar people can go anywhere (Thailand) with the letter. She said well why wouldn't the airline let us fly? His words "your problem". What an a/hole. So she asked for her money back (1000B). Cant do.

Yes she is a migrant worker because I remember they asked her what she did, but as she was pregnant at the time she stated nothing as I was supporting her.

36 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

You don't know the full story of the baby health so a bus, train or car is not really an option. that is why i asked about FLYING.

As you said if full story not available suggestions will come in based on the OP in which you stated she was refused at airport. Can i ask then if baby is ill why did you not go alone with baby on this occasion. Hope baby is ok.

Also if i was in your shoes i would take the wife back to maymar so she can get legal and then return to Thailand problem solved.

45 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

As you said if full story not available suggestions will come in based on the OP in which you stated she was refused at airport. Can i ask then if baby is ill why did you not go alone with baby on this occasion. Hope baby is ok.

Also if i was in your shoes i would take the wife back to maymar so she can get legal and then return to Thailand problem solved.

There are many things in play that are against me in what I am trying to achieve.

The baby was not planned, at least not on my part, but was born, can't change that now. Because he was born in Thailand to a Myanmar mum with no real ID and an Australian dad his birth certificate lists him as someone who is illegally or temporarily in Thailand. Therefore he has no nationality and therefore no chance of getting a passport. I will elaborate more  later.

At the age of 6 weeks he chocked on his milk. He died on the way to the hospital. By the time he was revived he suffered brain damage due to the lack of oxygen. The extent of damage will only be shown by time. However the doctors are quite surprised at his development. The neurologist has estimated his brain is about 6 months behind that of a normal baby.

He can not feed by mouth and has to be fed via a gastrostomy tube on his abdomen. This requires a syringe pump and other equipment. He can not sit up yet as he has no real control over his neck so sitting in a baby car seat for many hours in a drive to and from Bangkok and Chiang Mai is not really an option. He also gets very hot and requires constant cooling so again being in a confined car seat is not good for him. He is currently 10 1/2 months old.

To continue my first point, i researched and found I could apply to make him an Australian by Descent. If I can get his citizenship then I can get him an Australian passport which gives him a much better chance later in life if he is ok. So I applied to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. Even though I had had a DNA test done they want another done in an Australian NATA approved lab. Also in their wisdom all 3 of us have to goto Bangkok to have the samples taken under supervision and that was due to be done today.

Before she got pregnant his mother (we are not married) went back to Myanmar to get her passport but nothing resulted except my bank balance bring less. She has made several "attempts" at get her Myanmar ID and passport but all that seems to be achieved is a lessening bank balance. His mother is not intelligent but maybe smart in certain ways. I have known her about 3 years and it was only a couple weeks ago that I learnt from her that she did not originate in Myanmar. She was born in another country and she doesn't know which. Her parents moved to China for awhile then onto Myanmar. So not sure she can even get her passport. She can go back to Myanmar via the army border posts like I mentioned but I can not and she can not go via a normal border crossing.  Maybe I am being played the fool but I have to try to do the best I can for my son while I am still alive.

So it is not as simple as suggested, we just can't take a bus and she just can't get legal.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

There are many things in play that are against me in what I am trying to achieve.

The baby was not planned, at least not on my part, but was born, can't change that now. Because he was born in Thailand to a Myanmar mum with no real ID and an Australian dad his birth certificate lists him as someone who is illegally or temporarily in Thailand. Therefore he has no nationality and therefore no chance of getting a passport. I will elaborate more  later.

At the age of 6 weeks he chocked on his milk. He died on the way to the hospital. By the time he was revived he suffered brain damage due to the lack of oxygen. The extent of damage will only be shown by time. However the doctors are quite surprised at his development. The neurologist has estimated his brain is about 6 months behind that of a normal baby.

He can not feed by mouth and has to be fed via a gastrostomy tube on his abdomen. This requires a syringe pump and other equipment. He can not sit up yet as he has no real control over his neck so sitting in a baby car seat for many hours in a drive to and from Bangkok and Chiang Mai is not really an option. He also gets very hot and requires constant cooling so again being in a confined car seat is not good for him. He is currently 10 1/2 months old.

To continue my first point, i researched and found I could apply to make him an Australian by Descent. If I can get his citizenship then I can get him an Australian passport which gives him a much better chance later in life if he is ok. So I applied to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. Even though I had had a DNA test done they want another done in an Australian NATA approved lab. Also in their wisdom all 3 of us have to goto Bangkok to have the samples taken under supervision and that was due to be done today.

Before she got pregnant his mother (we are not married) went back to Myanmar to get her passport but nothing resulted except my bank balance bring less. She has made several "attempts" at get her Myanmar ID and passport but all that seems to be achieved is a lessening bank balance. His mother is not intelligent but maybe smart in certain ways. I have known her about 3 years and it was only a couple weeks ago that I learnt from her that she did not originate in Myanmar. She was born in another country and she doesn't know which. Her parents moved to China for awhile then onto Myanmar. So not sure she can even get her passport. She can go back to Myanmar via the army border posts like I mentioned but I can not and she can not go via a normal border crossing.  Maybe I am being played the fool but I have to try to do the best I can for my son while I am still alive.

So it is not as simple as suggested, we just can't take a bus and she just can't get legal.

Thanks for the honest reply. I can not give any advise on this apart from i would be talking to a solicitor sounds very compicated. Good luck and i hope the baby stays well.

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

Does she really have to fly? With a bit of advance-planning, maybe she could use other transport options.

No she does not but very hard for me to fly with baby with all the stuff I have to take. Was difficult yesterday getting to the airport with her helping.

And I can't afford to pay someone to help. Medical bills for baby is over a million baht and rising. Yesterdays efforts with all the bookings lost cost me 15,000.

Sorry to mention money but it is becoming an important factor in all this.

46 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Thanks for the honest reply. I can not give any advise on this apart from i would be talking to a solicitor sounds very compicated. Good luck and i hope the baby stays well.

Thank you for your concern.

I consulted a lawyer for the initial Citizenship application so might talk to him regarding the flight letter.

Even if your GF get the correct papers to fly, it looks to me as if your child has no papers at all. Do you believe that the airline will let your child on board without any papers? .

Looks to me that going by van (lots of space for baby and equipment, very cold by a/c) would be the best option.

5 minutes ago, Naroge said:

Even if your GF get the correct papers to fly, it looks to me as if your child has no papers at all. Do you believe that the airline will let your child on board without any papers? .

Looks to me that going by van (lots of space for baby and equipment, very cold by a/c) would be the best option.

Under two years of age the airlines used to let a so-called "infant" on board, not listed as a soul in passenger manifest – in airline expression, infant under age of two years has no soul. But it's many years ago I was working in an airline, so things may have changed...

Checked with Google, here's an example...

Do I need a passport or ID for my infant or children?
Proof of age, such as a birth certificate or passport, may be required for infants under 2 years. If you don’t provide an acceptable form of identification for the infant upon request at check-in, your infant may not be allowed to travel.

If you’re travelling on an international flight, your infant or child always requires a passport.

Source: Jetstar

In general it seem like that rule is still valid – numerous of links, however, did not show any specific links for Thailand – but proof of age is needed; i.e. a birth certificate. Air Asia has little information:
What identification documents will children below 12 years old need for travel?

What do I need to know when traveling with an infant?

:smile:

18 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Why not get the train? Get a first class cabin and it would be more comfortable than flying. Not sure what the new fare is but would be around 5000 baht return for the 2 berth cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naroge said:

The child has a birth certificate. I already mentioned that. He was no problem. It was his mum.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why not get the train? Get a first class cabin and it would be more comfortable than flying. Not sure what the new fare is but would be around 5000 baht return for the 2 berth cabin.

Actually i just checked that on the net and probably my best option. Just waiting for new doctors appointment date.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Under two years of age the airlines used to let a so-called "infant" on board, not listed as a soul in passenger manifest – in airline expression, infant under age of two years has no soul. But it's many years ago I was working in an airline, so things may have changed...

Checked with Google, here's an example...

In general it seem like that rule is still valid – numerous of links, however, did not show any specific links for Thailand – but proof of age is needed; i.e. a birth certificate. Air Asia has little information:
What identification documents will children below 12 years old need for travel?

What do I need to know when traveling with an infant?

:smile:

I had already checked with the airline at the desk with the papers and they were confirmed ok and as mentioned he was not a problem. Previously his mum flew and got a letter. I checked that the same way before flying, no problem. This time the letter appeared exactly the same so I did not check. It did not emotion Bangkok so she could not fly.

What I don't understand is this "letter" is issued by the Myanmar Consulate. Her Non Thai ID is issued in Thailand. How can the Myanmar Government issue a letter for their citizens to travel within Thailand? Maybe its an agreement with the Thai government to save some paperwork for them.

6 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

What I don't understand is this "letter" is issued by the Myanmar Consulate. Her Non Thai ID is issued in Thailand. How can the Myanmar Government issue a letter for their citizens to travel within Thailand? Maybe its an agreement with the Thai government to save some paperwork for them.

You said earlier that she is not a Myanmar citizen hence the issue with Passports and an ID card, so why has the Myanmar consulate issued a letter ?

19 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Mate, I admire your determination to bring your son the best care possible in light of the situation and hope everything gets better health wise for him, stress and finance wise for you. 

I couldn't help but notice some doubt post regarding your relationship, i.e. you being potentially played with, and with her story changing about where she was born, I can only hope she is a decent girl and brings you support and happiness through your up hill battle, although entrapment is pretty common amongst females, not saying that's the case here, but if it is, then your up shit creek as the saying goes old son.

For what its worth, when the dust settles, I would learn from experience when it comes to booking hotels, i.e. never put any money down, I always pay at the hotel when I arrive, if they can't accept that, I move on to the next one, and if I don't for whatever reason if I cancel, I am not out of pocket, there are other means of booking a hotel, i.e. over the phone, once you have found one on the net via Expedia or other advertisers of hotels.

As for the airline tickets, well that's a hard one, although would try writing them a letter explaining the full circumstances and see if they will at least provide you with a credit for a future flight, if no a refund is provided.

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting the baby an Australian passport, one would hope, and wish you the best of luck on that front. 

• Like 2

Just now, Techno Viking said:

You said earlier that she is not a Myanmar citizen hence the issue with Passports and an ID card, so why has the Myanmar consulate issued a letter ?

She was not born in Myanmar and I think maybe difficult to get passport. She had a copy of some work permit from when she first come to Thailand. She used this to get issued with the Non Thai ID. On that states she is from Myanmar. So hence the Myanmar Consulate issued the letter.

I am sure things like this happens a lot in these countries why record keeping is little or non existing.

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting the baby an Australian passport, one would hope, and wish you the best of luck on that front. 

Unfortunately I don't think the Australia Government believes he is mine even though I provided them with a DNA test result. They want another one done in Australia with sampling to be done in Bangkok. Hence this situation.

I think if that is done he should be granted Australia Citizenship by Descent and then will be easy to get passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1