No CD Player.

Ace of Pop

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Seems funny to leave em out if one can still buy CDs, they went to CDs when cassets were not available.At this rate everyone will just need an I phone.

Thought that C/D were a thing of the past Toyota have fitted DVD players for over 8 years now they wont play C/D. Even where I live you cant buy C/D even in the markets now. Well saying that you might get old Thai stuff, but who wants to listen to that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Thought that C/D were a thing of the past Toyota have fitted DVD players for over 8 years now they wont play C/D. Even where I live you cant buy C/D even in the markets now. Well saying that you might get old Thai stuff, but who wants to listen to that.

There's a guy with table set up at one of the back car-park entances to Big C in Udon Thani that is still selling new CD's with Creedence Clearwater Revival, Elvis Presley, Boney M and the like.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's a guy with table set up at one of the back car-park entances to Big C in Udon Thani that is still selling new CD's with Creedence Clearwater Revival, Elvis Presley, Boney M and the like.

There's probably thousands of Thais that still use CD players. I know when I was giving mine away there were plenty of the missus' family that had their hands up.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

You cant get C/D in the UK now only DVD I suspect that goes for the rest of the normal world.

As I said markets you might get as the Thais have old C/D set ups to play them on.

Sorry to say they wont work on my Toyota DVD player. Did try with and old one of the wife's C/D that she wanted to listen to once and all it said was sorry Disc not known.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There's probably thousands of Thais that still use CD players. I know when I was giving mine away there were plenty of the missus' family that had their hands up.

Thais will take anything if it's free. Even an old chicken bone. The crap I have given away in the past is unmentionable. Old Mattress have been picked up from the Dustbins, that I would even let my dog sleep on. Old C/D players must seem to them like a winning the lotto. 

I do have and old TV with a buggered screen that still works well sort of. Electric cooker that has the elements buggered if anyone is interested. Mind you I will have to prise it out of the wife hands first.

Edited by fredob43

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Thais will take anything if it's free. Even an old chicken bone. The crap I have given away in the past is unmentionable. Old Mattress have been picked up from the Dustbins, that I would even let my dog sleep on. Old C/D players must seem to them like a winning the lotto. 

True, and the problem is if you give to one all the other family members get pissed off because they think you are picking favourites.

4 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

I will never buy anything without a CD player, I have hundreds of CD's

It's not difficult to copy music to a memory stick. It's very easy to plug the memory stick into the entertainment centers in newer vehicles. You will have to face the fact that CD's and even DVD's have outlived their usefulness. As for myself, I'm not a big music fan but my wife is. She uses a small cheap MP3 player and she has hundreds of songs on it. I put audiobooks on a memory stick for when I am on trips. I do have an iPod but everything is so proprietary that it is no longer used. Apple iTunes stinks. There is a small computer shop that loads Thai music on most devices. I gave her the iPod and the shop could not do anything with it.

17 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I do have and old TV with a buggered screen that still works well sort of. Electric cooker that has the elements buggered if anyone is interested. Mind you I will have to prise it out of the wife hands first.

LOL... like my mother-in-law. Can't throw anything away and her idea of a clean up is picking around the precariously balanced piles of previous cast-offs and throwaways... and adding to them! Does anyone else have an Isaan 'sh!t tree'? It's a low-branching tree on the property where useless stuff gets jammed in the forks of branches or hung from stubs of old branches? After it rains, it looks like something left behind after a bloody tsunami.

I have found that practicing "smash and burn" cleaning tends to scupper these inveterate bower birds.

43 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You cant get C/D in the UK now only DVD I suspect that goes for the rest of the normal world.

As I said markets you might get as the Thais have old C/D set ups to play them on.

Sorry to say they wont work on my Toyota DVD player. Did try with and old one of the wife's C/D that she wanted to listen to once and all it said was sorry Disc not known.

Cars with CD players or actual CD's ?

Looking at google Plenty of places selling CD's in the UK.

And Ford Rangers in the UK still have CD players.

20 minutes ago, giddyup said:

True, and the problem is if you give to one all the other family members get pissed off because they think you are picking favourites.

There is a way round that buy a big Chicken. Then you can share out the bones between them. Mind you they more than likely wont get a look in if you have a wife like I have. Head Neck Feet are the first to go. Electric stuff, Old worn out other bit's stay in the house. Still have the empty cardboard box that the last double fridge came in. Still in good condition after two years. If anyone is interested. Will deliver.

2 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Cars with CD players or actual CD's ?

Looking at google Plenty of places selling CD's in the UK.

And Ford Rangers in the UK still have CD players.

Last time I was in the UK buying anything like C/D. Went into a shop and they laughed at me when I asked for a C/D. Said sorry sir they are a thing of the past. That was over 3 years ago.

Ford still fit C/D players in their lumps why am I not surprised at that. More than likely have old stock.

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

There is a way round that buy a big Chicken. Then you can share out the bones between them. Mind you they more than likely wont get a look in if you have a wife like I have. Head Neck Feet are the first to go. Electric stuff, Old worn out other bit's stay in the house. Still have the empty cardboard box that the last double fridge came in. Still in good condition after two years. If anyone is interested. Will deliver.

I refuse to keep anything that's broken/unfixable, or empty boxes etc. The rubbish guys are happy to take it, and the missus knows I hate clutter, otherwise you end up buried in it.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

LOL... like my mother-in-law. Can't throw anything away and her idea of a clean up is picking around the precariously balanced piles of previous cast-offs and throwaways... and adding to them! Does anyone else have an Isaan 'sh!t tree'? It's a low-branching tree on the property where useless stuff gets jammed in the forks of branches or hung from stubs of old branches? After it rains, it looks like something left behind after a bloody tsunami.

I have found that practicing "smash and burn" cleaning tends to scupper these inveterate bower birds.

I paid a stupid price for the iPod and no way am I going to smash it. It is doomed to stay in a drawer until I am dead and gone.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Last time I was in the UK buying anything like C/D. Went into a shop and they laughed at me when I asked for a C/D. Said sorry sir they are a thing of the past. That was over 3 years ago.

Ford still fit C/D players in their lumps why am I not surprised at that. More than likely have old stock.

Toyota Yaris  has a CD player. HMV sell CD's.

Maybe their websites are telling porky pies though.

Edited by Techno Viking

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Do you need one of these?

I might if I knew what it was. I see 45 RPM adapter, but normally there was just something that fit over the record player spindle to fit the 45 larger hole.

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I might if I knew what it was. I see 45 RPM adapter, but normally there was just something that fit over the record player spindle to fit the 45 larger hole.

Thought you might have handle on all vinyl paraphernalia. These adapters were for 45's that had the center hole knocked out to fit juke boxes and the like as well as record players that didn't have these.

45blackxb.jpg.7b373ff57217b204742e38a03b3a1749.jpg

You said you wanted to play your LP', 45's and 78's so figured you may have some old 45's as well. You're obviously that old so may as well, eh?

Edited by NanLaew

29 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Toyota Yaris  has a CD player. HMV sell CD's.

Maybe their websites are telling porky pies though.

Toyota might say C/D player but more than likely a DVD one??? The sales man said that my new Spivo had a C.D player but it turned out to be a DVD like my old Spivo.

HMV had closed down in Piccadilly Circus London last time I looked, several '3 years+' ago Like wise virgin Shop. Now both a goner turned into clothe shops.

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thought you might have handle on all vinyl paraphernalia. These adapters were for 45's that had the center hole knocked out to fit juke boxes and the like as well as record players that didn't have these.

You said you wanted to play your LP', 45's and 78's so figured you may have some old 45's as well. You're obviously that old so may as well, eh?

I guess I need to use the smileys more. I already mentioned 45's and 78's in my first post on the subject, but you seem to know more about the format than me, so how old does that make you?. Perhaps if I mentioned I wanted one of these as an in-dash player.

cylinder-music-boxes-mb36ed-movement-big.jpg

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Sorry seems your correct on getting C/D in market. Have just spoken to the wife and she tells me you can get them in the Wednesday night market. But they are all copies, with most not having the full list of songs on them. DVD hold well over 20 songs C/D a lot less.

You might also find that the Elvis Presley one will have him singing Yerrow Libber.

45 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Toyota might say C/D player but more than likely a DVD one??? The sales man said that my new Spivo had a C.D player but it turned out to be a DVD like my old Spivo.

HMV had closed down in Piccadilly Circus London last time I looked, several '3 years+' ago Like wise virgin Shop. Now both a goner turned into clothe shops.

As I said maybe the websites were telling porky pies but Toyota UK list the Yaris as having a CD player and HMV are listing outlets in 3 locations.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I guess I need to use the smileys more. I already mentioned 45's and 78's in my first post on the subject, but you seem to know more about the format than me, so how old does that make you?. Perhaps if I mentioned I wanted one of these as an in-dash player.

cylinder-music-boxes-mb36ed-movement-big.jpg

Me? Old enough not to care.

Does that thingmie come with two twirling ballet dancers on top or just the one?

41 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

As I said maybe the websites were telling porky pies but Toyota UK list the Yaris as having a CD player and HMV are listing outlets in 3 locations.

...except Piccadilly Circus maybe?

There's something about Saturday posters....

Edited by NanLaew

Back on topic (momentarily), I do recall that the rental Vigo's I thrashed around in LOS in about 10 years ago had CD players that played regular audio CD as bought in the (thousands of) HMV and Virgin stores (back then) but weren't capable of playing a home-made music CD that was in .mp3 format. I think there was a go around in the early WinXP days where you could burn an audio CD but specifically had to choose if you were going to play it on a regular music box of a computer before burning the tracks. Maybe the .wma file format? Never did work out what the right option was for a 'car stereo'.

Edited by NanLaew

I had an iPod that was on its last legs, bought an iPod touch 6 and dumped everything on it, created a few " road trip " playlists or put it on random, it lives in the car now, unless I want to download load some stuff to it.
It's 128 gb with about 95 gb of music on .

My Honda Jazz has a cd player and gf bought a " latest hits " cd from the local market, guess she was getting sick of my 70's and 80's stuff !!
She eventually got sick of her cd and gave it to her brother, back to Free, Floyd , Zep and the rest [emoji3]