No CD Player.

Ace of Pop

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...except Piccadilly Circus maybe?

There's something about Saturday posters....

Well yeah the Piccadilly store is gone but to make a blanket statement that one cannot buy a CD or a vehicle equipped with a CD player in the UK is very misleading.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ace of Pop said:

I had a Philips in car player, Martha n The Vandelas. Dancin in the Streets was played mainly, then i hit a pothole and bust the player. Circa 1962/3.:partytime2:

Foregot.... it played 45s,you knocked the center bit out.!!

42 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Well yeah the Piccadilly store is gone but to make a blanket statement that one cannot buy a CD or a vehicle equipped with a CD player in the UK is very misleading.

Agreed... if it was a thread about where to buy CD's in London to play in a British car.

As a related aside, my CD collection now sits gathering dust in a cabinet after I transferred all of my music to digital storage.  Whenever I want to listen I just access the digital storage from whatever device I am using.  Even my receiver has wifi and connects to my PC or the internet for music/movies.

In the car it all comes off a USB drive or local radio.

26 minutes ago, masuk said:

Probably at the same time that they only install one air bag in a new model which has 7 in Australia, and also do not have a heater/demister.

No question that Thai models get short changed on equipment. They wouldn't be allowed to sell my model Triton in Australia, it wouldn't meet safety standards.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:24 PM, giddyup said:

I have an USB port, but annoyingly I have to select USB from the inbuilt media player every time the engine is turned off, whereas the DVD starts automatically.

Wow, that's annoying. The Kenwood system in my Isuzu DMax automatically plays whatever was selected last. What car/sound system do you have?

10 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Wow, that's annoying. The Kenwood system in my Isuzu DMax automatically plays whatever was selected last. What car/sound system do you have?

Alpine, but the USB is only accessed through the Sat/Nav controls.

P1050420.JPG

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

MP3 has been retired and has now gone the way of the CD. Support discontinued recently.

Not for me it hasn't. Don't know what other format you can use to transfer music onto USB or disc.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:48 PM, giddyup said:

Certainly was. I know a lot of people rubbished ABBA, but even some of the worlds best musos have acknowledged ABBA songs were a lot more than throwaway pop songs.

I think they were offered a billion dollars a few years ago to tour. Not many groups can claim that.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Not for me it hasn't. Don't know what other format you can use to transfer music onto USB or disc.

Not for a lot of us it hasn't.  

But it has been officially superceded by AAC format, and will no longer be supported by the licencees.

Interesting article on this below. (Don't worry giddyup, MP3 will be in use for years, as CD's still are - its just been superceded by better technology)

The MP3 has finally been ‘killed off’

"Licencing the programmes for MP3 has now been scrapped in a ‘death warrant’ for the format."

Programs for playback and/or encoding ? Better keep a copy of VLC, media player classic...even WinAmp backed up on good old CD ROM

"But there are still some die-hards who won’t give up on MP3s, according to the Fraunhofer Institute."

Yes I'll be one to keep using it.

4 hours ago, johng said:

"Licencing the programmes for MP3 has now been scrapped in a ‘death warrant’ for the format."

Programs for playback and/or encoding ? Better keep a copy of VLC, media player classic...even WinAmp backed up on good old CD ROM

"But there are still some die-hards who won’t give up on MP3s, according to the Fraunhofer Institute."

Yes I'll be one to keep using it.

johng, couldn't agree more.

To be honest, when I read the article, it took me only a few seconds to realise that I would be hanging on to my MP3's

MP3 does not have anywhere near the quality of a CD. So sad for people who appreciate music.

OP you can still buy a portable CD player. Not the quality of a good auto speaker system though. Earphones are dangerous as you can not hear what's going on around you.

MP3 does not have anywhere near the quality of a CD. So sad for people who appreciate music.

They said/say that CD doesn't have the quality of vinyl...personally I think digitally recorded,mixed and reproduced sounds just as good if not better.
The first Analogue to digital conversion is essential,garbage in garbage out.

IMHO Mp3 @ 320 kbps easily match CD quality.

No I don't have a thousand pounds to spend on a gold plated oxygen free copper speaker cable or 10,000 for a set of speakers !

CD's where never a good invention, always stopping and freezing movies etc. + CD's corrode after a while in Thailand's hot climate not to mention the poor quality copies bought on the streets. Gave all of mine away years ago. Now UHD quality available is much better. USB and streaming + YouTube lots of entertainment available. 

On 8/18/2017 at 6:15 PM, eezergood said:

nope - normally use the Ipod & or internet radio streaming

I use the car radio's USB port with a USB stick full of about 10 hours music (and still room for more on the USB stick). And all my music is FREE, downloaded from You Tube (via MP4 and converted to MP3).

iPod? Huh.

I use the car radio's USB port with a USB stick full of about 10 hours music (and still room for more on the USB stick). And all my music is FREE, downloaded from You Tube (via MP4 and converted to MP3).

iPod? Huh.

The advantage of the iPod is that you can store all your music on there and search through it easily to find music while on the go, create a playlist, or play randomly.
I also have podcasts on mine, with comedy, or Thai language.

Plus it can come in handy at those long layovers in airports.

The old classic iPod is a bit outdated but the iPod touch does everything an iPhone does except for make phone calls. Of course if you have an iPhone with a large storage ( 128 or even 256 gb ) you could eliminate the iPod.

On 18/08/2017 at 5:18 PM, giddyup said:

Certainly was. I know a lot of people rubbished ABBA, but even some of the worlds best musos have acknowledged ABBA songs were a lot more than throwaway pop songs.

I still think they are great for the clear vocals and words that mean something.  Not like today's junk with a lot of computer generated crap.  When I first came here and heard people saying baad sawng I thought they were referring to Katie Perry or one of her “singer“ cohort. 555