British television entertainer Bruce Forsyth dies aged 89 - BBC

rooster59

British television entertainer Bruce Forsyth dies aged 89 - BBC

640x640 (1).jpg

FILE PHOTO: TV presenter and entertainer Bruce Forsyth performs on the Avalon Stage at the Glastonbury music festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset, June 30, 2013. REUTERS/Olivia Harris/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Veteran British television presenter and entertainer Bruce Forsyth, who appeared for decades on a string of Saturday night primetime shows, has died at the age of 89, the BBC reported on Friday.

Forsyth, one of Britain's best-known gameshow hosts, fronted television programmes including "The Generation Game" and "Play Your Cards Right".

Most recently he presented dance contest "Strictly Come Dancing" for 10 years until 2014.

BBC Director General Tony Hall described him as "one of the greatest entertainers our country has ever known".

"He has delighted millions of people and defined Saturday night television for decades ... his warmth and his wit were legendary," Hall said in a statement on Twitter.

"He had a remarkable chemistry with his audience - that's what made him such an amazing professional and why he was so loved."

The BBC reported Forsyth, who was knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 2011, had been unwell for some time and had undergone keyhole surgery in 2015 after suffering two aneurysms.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-19

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Great entertainer, always seemed sincere.

RIP Brucie...:smile:

I worked with a fella who drove for him. Said he was a true gent who was as nice in private as he was in public.

R.I.P, Bruce.

Geesh ... we get old quick eh ? I remember Bruce as the host of; "Sunday night at the Palladium" (In London) ... I was 12 then in 1966 ... RIP Brusce you don't get many polite and sensitve presenters like Bruce anymore ... its all a matter of how far they can push the 'smut', not that I'm entirely against that, but some presenters go too far !

thank you, I have to find out what this guy was all about. 

seriously.

if he was a popular Brit...

I *****must***** have missed out on something very good.

and excuse me for being just another stupid American.... none of the above is anything but the straight skinny... including especially the comment that I must be a stupid American... in fact, lately I feel like I must be stupid... just because I was born in America.

that last one was a joke. :-)

kind of.

but not the rest of it.

Edited by maewang99

1 hour ago, maewang99 said:

seriously.

and excuse me for being just another stupid American.... none of the above is anything but the straight skinny... including especially the comment that I must be a stupid American... in fact, lately I feel like I must be stupid... just because I was born in America.

kind of.

but not the rest of it.

and there lies the difference between American and British humour RIP Brucie

So when Brucie gets to see St Peter it will be , nice to see you nice.

Good game good game, youw

When Brucie gets to see St Peter it will be, nice to see you nice.

Good game good game, you were a legend,rR.I.P. Sir Bruce.

Edited by colinneil

It's quite odd that someone so famous in the U.K. is totally unknown in the U.S. I enjoyed watching the BBC coverage of his career on his death. First time I heard of him. It said his biggest disappointment in life (which was mostly of course about success) was never making it in the U.S. I understand why he didn't.  Some talents can crossover, and some can't. 

There there are cases like Jerry Lewis. Famous of course as an American entertainer at home but bizarrely seen as some kind of genius by the French. 

Edited by Jingthing

RIP Brucie ! 

He brought a lot of happiness to so many people over a very long time, not many others have that claim to fame ! 

I grew up with The Generation Game , as corny as it was Bruce made it watchable. Never really liked the Play your cards right but then again, Bruce's quips and quick wit turned it into a success. He had so many strings to his bow, just his dancing ability later on in life was remarkable.

Condolences to his family and friends .

I haven't lived in the UK since 1972, but Brucie was a part of my life then, and I always enjoyed his genius and his wonderful connection with the audiences. Not many entertainers have that quality today. Sunday Night at the London Palladium was always fun with him at the helm. Onwards and upwards Bruce.

7 hours ago, maewang99 said:

seriously.

kind of.

but not the rest of it.

You would never have understood any one of this mans understated humour.