Bugs on plants.

Scaly aphids I think, buggers to get rid of. I initially got these on a plant that was under watered, then they spread, aided by ants.

I tried really toxic insectides, worked to some extent but they came back. The whole village seems to have this this year, a neighbours Pappaya got killed.

Anyway I am resigned to having to live with beasts as they are now in the veg garden. Spraying with Neem OIL alternating with wood vinegar keeps them down, waiting for dryer weather in hope.

Got the garden spray people due soon that we started because of an infestation of ticks so will make sure they spray all the remaining plants as well, thinking on the lines of if it kills ticks it will kill these, I hope.

Edited by overherebc

Got the garden spray people due soon that we started because of an infestation of ticks so will make sure they spray all the remaining plants as well, thinking on the lines of if it kills ticks it will kill these, I hope.

Some tick sprays contain solvents that will do plants no good at all!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I  use Sevin Dust.  It's a very powerful insecticide.  I buy it here in the local pharmacy, made by Bayer, in a blue and white bag.  It's in the section with the rat poison.  It's also available on line through Lazada.

Wooly aphids?  I think this is mealy bugs. In either case the adult insects are protected by the waxy coating and not susceptible to control with contact insecticides like Sevin. (which by the way is a carbamate, harsh toxic chemistry that is not environmentally friendly and is not needed in this day and age of less toxic, effective alternatives). 

There was a recent discussion about mealy bugs in the Organic farming forum. Mechanical control was mentioned. Wipe them off with a cloth or gloved hand, or wash them off with a jet of water.  Last month I had a mealy bug infestation on a newly planted young mango tree in our yard in Samut Prakan.  I was away for a week and came back to find the cottony mass of insect pests.  I just directed a jet of water with my thumb over the end of a hand held water hose, They washed off easily and completely.  Regular inspections of your plants and early intervention for pest infestations is key to IPM.  Good soil and water management will reduce susceptibility.   

Neem seed extract products, wood vinegar, and insecticidal soap will work for control if you start early in the season before the infestation is advanced, and do repeated sprays that target the immature stage of the insect pest. Once the adults are settled in, coated up and feeding it is more difficult to control them. For an advanced infestation or preventive treatment for waxy coated insect pests like wooly aphids, scale and mealy bugs, if its a non-food plant you can use a systemic insecticide that translocates throughout the plant tissues and kills anything that feeds on the foliage or sap. (neonicotinoids like imidacloprid or dinotefuran).

There are several home-brew spray solutions suggested here.  It may take several applications to get the mealybugs under control.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/soapy-spray-rid-mealybugs-plants-28835.html

Basic Soap Spray

Basic soap sprays are the easiest to mix and use. Add 3 tablespoons of soap flakes to 1 gallon of water and mix well. Or, for another quick-mix soap solution, add 2 tablespoons of liquid dish detergent or baby shampoo to 1 gallon of water.

Soap and Oil Spray

Oil added to the soap spray helps the mixture adhere to the plant better and keeps it from dripping off the insects too quickly. Mix up one of the basic soap sprays and add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil per gallon of spray. Do not use melted shortening.

Soap and Alcohol Spray

Mix 1/2 cup of ordinary rubbing alcohol with 1 quart of liquid soap. (???) The alcohol helps strip away any waxy coating on the mealybugs so the soap can penetrate and kill them. Wait 20 minutes after spraying, then rinse the plant with water. Repeat, if needed, every three days. Do not spray in direct sunlight.

------------------------------------

Except for soap-alcohol mixtures, leave the spray on the plant for about two hours and then rinse with clean water. This keeps the soap from drying to a scum on the leaves or from dissolving the foliage's own protective layer.

I'd be tempted to use 1 cup of rubbing alcohol (50%?) with a teaspoon or two of insecticidal soap or dish detergent and 1 quart of water.

Re home brew insect sprays.  What about wood vinegar?  Also, what fertiliser for coconut palm trees please?  Can I just put the same mix as used for rice around here?  That is 16-8-8 (I think).  Thanks for comments 

3 hours ago, notrub said:

Re home brew insect sprays.  What about wood vinegar?  Also, what fertiliser for coconut palm trees please?  Can I just put the same mix as used for rice around here?  That is 16-8-8 (I think).  Thanks for comments 

I mix wood vinegar with soap and water, works  fine.

Coconuts? I didn't know anyone fertilised coconuts, but I can't imagine that any of the rice fertilisers would be of much use. A slow release fertiliser would be what is required, for a young tree.