Two Chinese shop owners arrested for knock-off shoes

webfact

Two Chinese shop owners arrested for knock-off shoes

By Chalinee Thirasupa 
The Nation

b68d7a7431bdd098e75c161407c76cc8-sld.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Department of Special Investigation (DSI) officers have arrested two Chinese suspects allegedly operating shops in Bangkok involved in the sale of pirated goods worth Bt20 million, DSI deputy director-general Pol Major Suriya Singhakamon told a press conference on Monday.

The two suspects were identified as Hong Bin Lin, who reportedly owns Vivi Shoes, and Lin Shao, owner of Isod.

Officers also seized 160,000 pairs of counterfeit shoes bearing the fake logos of Nike, Converse and Adidas, Suriya said. The sales value of the shoes totalled Bt20 million.

Suriya also said officers had urged landlords to monitor the activities of their tenants to determine if they were breaking the law.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324428

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-21

I appreciate the Thai government's crackdown on pirated/knockoff goods but such is only a symptom and not an overall solution. More needs to be done with the nations where such fake goods are manufactured and the best known nation is China. As an example:

https://qz.com/771727/chinas-factories-in-shenzhen-can-copy-products-at-breakneck-speed-and-its-time-for-the-rest-of-the-world-to-get-over-it/

Thailand needs to address the issue directly with China where even now fake goods are beginning to appear for sale. There might be shared concern. But the problem for Prayut is that he has so closely entwined Thailand politically with China, there may be few diplomatic solutions.  He might try the same approach as the US - improved trade balance. But I doubt China will be impressed.

Try the bicycle shops: Full of knock-off clothing and parts. Knock off cycle parts in particular are dangerous: I have seen wheels collapse, a frame break and in my case a seat post knowingly** sold to me by a cycling official who should know better. Very dangerous and Thailand is full of it.

**known by him but not by me.

Perhaps if the trademark owners sold the genuine article at a reasonable price there would not be such a flourishing counterfeit industry.  The likes of Nike etc get their manufacturing done in third world countries for a pittance and then sell at vastly inflated prices. Much the same as the movie studios - they hate pirated movies but there is some sense coming into the industry where you can download movies at a reasonable cost so there is no need to pirate them.

The big losers will be the music industry where bands etc will sell direct to the public on line and cut out the corporate types altogether. More money for the band, less cost to the consumer. Win win