Visa overstayer alleges extortion of Bt600,000

snoop1130

Visa overstayer alleges extortion of Bt600,000

By The Nation

d0a182ba5afe856790cbecea9c5d6cc0.jpeg

A Syrian man has filed a complaint with the Justice Ministry, alleging that a group of foreigners and Lumpini police had extorted money from him.

Alhalabee Yasser met Pol Colonel Dusadee Arayawut, deputy permanent secretary for justice, to complain that a group of men demanded more than Bt600,000 in exchange for not prosecuting him for overstaying his visa, and to obtain the freedom of his son who had been detained by immigration police.

Yasser said he had been living in Thailand for four years due to the war that had engulfed his country.

He runs a barber shop in Soi Nana and was forced to pay Bt15,000 a month to a group of three foreigners from Syria, Egypt and Lebanon who claimed that they were Lumpini police volunteers. They told him the payment would protect him and his son from legal action.

However in June, Yasser alleged, Lumpini police arrested his son and detained him at an immigration jail. The group then demanded money for the release of his son, so Yasser paid them several times to a total of about Bt600,000.

However his son remained in jail, so he came to seek justice with awareness that he could be prosecuted for overstaying.

Dusadee said that he would ask the police department to examine the claims and would forward the case to the Office of the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission for further investigation as the claim involved police officers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324622

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-8-22

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barber shop in Soi Nana can earn so much that he can pay 600k in bribes apart from a monthly handler of 15,000 Baht to the police? What was he shaving?? As most farangs i see there are balding!

Edited by saakura

35 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Should have gone to the U.K., like every other Tom, Dick and Harry !

Surely you mean like every other Tatyana, Dorek and Hammed, no?

30 minutes ago, gummy said:

yes and get benefits unlike those who go legally and have no recourse to state benefits.

I wish you two could go back. Or at least change the record!

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Should have gone to the U.K., like every other Tom, Dick and Harry !

Tom Dick and Harry don''t go there anymore as the benefit system only exists for Abdul, Youssef and Iqubal!

Edit:  Grrr- beaten to it!

Edited by Psimbo

4 hours ago, TVGerry said:

So sad. Not only extorted by the corrupt locals but also by fellow refugees. 

Yep.  Pretty nasty people.   However, overstaying, working without a work permit and complaining as another poster said.  I would hope he at least can rat out the ones that were extorting him.  I am sure their visas would not stand much scrutiny.

6 hours ago, saakura said:

Barber shop in Soi Nana can earn so much that he can pay 600k in bribes apart from a monthly handler of 15,000 Baht to the police? What was he shaving?? As most farangs i see there are balding!

When I overstayed 4 years I saved almost that much from not having to do visa runs

A Syrian claims to be a victim of extortion by police volunteers

By Thai PBS

lumphini-police-station.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Syrian national has lodged a complaint with the Justice Ministry, accusing a group of foreign volunteers at Lumpini police station of extorting him of 500,000 baht in cash in exchanging for not reporting to the immigration about his son’s overstaying in the country.

In a meeting with deputy permanent secretary of Justice Pol Col Dusadee Arayavuth on Monday (Aug 21), Mr Alhalabi Mohammad Yasser, 47, alleged that, in June, the gang captured his 23-year old son, Alhalabi Mohammad Va-el.

The gang demanded him to pay them 500,000 baht if he didn’t want his son to be arrested by the immigration officials and deported back to Syria.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/syrian-claims-victim-extortion-police-volunteers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-23

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Except you what happened did the visa get refused so p>>>>> you off

@wakeupplease

What visa are you talking about ?

I really do not understand.

If you are going to make a statement, please back it up when questioned about it. 

You have to laugh, he's not complaining about the extortion:

"However his son remained in jail, so he came to seek justice"

He's complaining about the fact they failed to deliver on their promises.

Edited by nausea
Spelling

12 hours ago, TVGerry said:

So sad. Not only extorted by the corrupt locals but also by fellow refugees. 

Refugees? Egypt and Lebanon ? The only Syrian refugees are those in refugee camps in Syria and surrounding countries. Those who can afford air tickets and B 15 k bribes per month are well off economic immigrants.