‘Sidechick’ law comment was merely a joke, PM says

webfact

‘Sidechick’ law comment was merely a joke, PM says

By The Nation

684150478d49da74876f1ebac6bf8836.jpg

PM Prayut during his two-day mobile Cabinet meeting.

KORAT: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s recent half-joke, in which he mentioned a coming law to ban people from having “sidechicks”, was actually him just being playful, he said on Tuesday.

The story started circulating on Monday when he asked people to pay attention to government updates rather than to gossipy news.

“Don’t just care about which stars are together or breaking up,” he told locals during his field trip in Nakhon Ratchasima.

“It [celebrity gossip] has nothing to do with you. You want them to get back together, even when your own husband leaves you. Let me know if your husband does that because it breaks the law. A [new] law says that you must have only a wife, and no ‘sidechicks’. And it is on the way,” he continued.

While only monogamous marriage is recognised in Thai law, the Penal Code does not automatically punish the act of adultery, unless a complaint is filed by the damaged party.

But if committed by state officials, adultery is still subject to punishment, according to bureaucratic regulations.

His remarks, unsurprisingly, caused an Internet sensation because it would be the first law of its kind in the Kingdom if it were actually realised.

On Tuesday, however, Prayut denied the existence of the said law, saying that he had merely been joshing around with the locals the previous day.

“I’m actually kind and funny,” he said to reporters. “When I’m serious, you think I’m being funny. And when I’m actually funny, you make it in the other way round. I don’t get this. I just wanted to entertain people from my lengthy talk.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/3032461

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-23

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“When I’m serious, you think I’m being funny. And when I’m actually funny, you make it in the other way round. I don’t get this. I just wanted to entertain people from my lengthy talk.”...."adultery is still subject to punishment, according to bureaucratic regulations". Says the funny man.

A stand-up comedian he is not. A stand up clod he is. It is becoming increasingly obvious the poor man has a personality disorder and is going more nutsy as time progresses. The warning signs are there.

36 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Politicians should never try to be funny. It rarely works.

One exception that might fit the situation here was:

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

2 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Yep he's funny alright talking to frogs and cows thats a classic !

I feel his self-admiration is tipping him over the brink of sanity. His misunderstood and pathetic humour is a sure sign.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

In a time where freedom of speech is at its lowest and sensitivity is at an all time high, is it really a good idea to be making stupid jokes? 

agreed; i wonder what he thinks all those reporters are there for

31 minutes ago, greenchair said:

That's right. that young lawyer in prison for a fb post. 

I don't understand the way Thai treat thai. Where is the kindness?

It's something talked about but not practiced nearly enough.  

Nationalism is for the poor and needy. A rich man's tool. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“I’m actually kind and funny,” he said to reporters.

Most of us are still giggling over the coup and A44.  That was funny.  A joke of governance if ever there was one.   If the self elected prime minister says he is funny, it is then law.  I proclaim me funny!

16 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It's something talked about but not practiced nearly enough.  

Nationalism is for the poor and needy. A rich man's tool. 

May I poetically expand? Nationalism is for the poor and needy.

A rich man's tool for the greedy! :biggrin:

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“I’m actually kind and funny,” he said to reporters. “When I’m serious, you think I’m being funny. And when I’m actually funny, you make it in the other way round. I don’t get this. I just wanted to entertain people from my lengthy talk.”

The actual funny part is, he is right but doesn't know why or how that is true. Besides everybody wanting him to shut up when he is bringing happiness to the peoples who just want to watch their goddamn drama, this dude spits comedy gold just about every time there is a news story about him or what he does.

Statement aside, people don't get jokes nowadays anymore anyway and for the crusaders that don't like him in the first place, nothing will ever be funny or amusing coming from him. People can'teven grasp the concept of that not being enforceable in the first place (let alone thailands stand alone record for amazing enforcement of the laws).