What would you do....

Beachbumm

You sound clueless my friend. 

A lot of people in your category (I.Q) put money into Bitcoin and made bucket loads of money. Sticking it into a hardware wallet like trezor and sitting on it for a few yrs will probably double your money or more. Put 100k on bitcoin and it could turn into 300k in 5 yrs. Who knows, maybe more, maybe less. The trezor wallet is one of the safest places to store your coin.

https://trezor.io/

For you to get involved with websites and/ or ecommerce.... when you can probably only turn on a computer..... get real. I have to be harsh to teach you. Its free advice. 

Such an angry little man...

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Beachbumm said:

A lot of sound advice here, this might sound crazy to a few of you but the stock market just isn't the way I wanna go. I'm actually exploring the idea of product distribution right now, and also e-commerce. That opens up some travel opportunities too, like the Hong Kong product expos and other similar events in various countries.

A local here is whispering in my ear about website investing, which I know nothing about at the moment, but plan to research it more. Real estate here or there or anywhere...not likely. My father played that game years ago, I saw all the poop stained carpets, and basements full of trash that I care to see.

As for handing money over to women or con men, well..I'm not in the habit of doing that now so I don't think I'll start. I understand how it is over there, I've been to BKK before, it's like a giant version of vegas I think.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Glad you are realistic about real estate.  Putting money into a country that, since 1932, has averaged a coup every seven years and a new constitution every four years is gambling, regardless of what others will tell you.

34 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

You sound clueless my friend. 

A lot of people in your category (I.Q) put money into Bitcoin and made bucket loads of money. Sticking it into a hardware wallet like trezor and sitting on it for a few yrs will probably double your money or more. Put 100k on bitcoin and it could turn into 300k in 5 yrs. Who knows, maybe more, maybe less. The trezor wallet is one of the safest places to store your coin.

https://trezor.io/

For you to get involved with websites and/ or ecommerce.... when you can probably only turn on a computer..... get real. I have to be harsh to teach you. Its free advice. 

Ooh, get rich quick!  Who can resist?

Maybe anyone who has looked at the price history of Bitcoin, researched the debate among the Bitcoin developers about the future of the "currency", and who has concerns about alternative virtual currencies coming online. 

Yes, 100K of bitcoin could turn into 300k in 5 years.  Or it could turn into nothing.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Ooh, get rich quick!  Who can resist?

Maybe anyone who has looked at the price history of Bitcoin, researched the debate among the Bitcoin developers about the future of the "currency", and who has concerns about alternative virtual currencies coming online. 

Yes, 100K of bitcoin could turn into 300k in 5 years.  Or it could turn into nothing.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/standpoint-research-founder-projects-bitcoin-to-hit-7500/

The most salient point that presents to me is 

''He has also projected that the digital currency could reach $50,000 in 2027. A more bullish prediction has come from Dennis Porto, Harvard academic and bitcoin investor, who thinks that bitcoin’s price will reach $100,000 by 2021 by following Moore’s law.''

3 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/standpoint-research-founder-projects-bitcoin-to-hit-7500/

The most salient point that presents to me is 

''He has also projected that the digital currency could reach $50,000 in 2027. A more bullish prediction has come from Dennis Porto, Harvard academic and bitcoin investor, who thinks that bitcoin’s price will reach $100,000 by 2021 by following Moore’s law.''

Could reach $50K, $100K, or zero.

Proper research involves more than listening to the cheerleaders.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:33 PM, NotEinstein said:

I quit my job at 43, 15 years-ago now, with a similar sum in the bank.

I second going to see some of the world on a round-the-world ticket first. Spend 6-12 months backpacking and be amazed by the nature, cultures and customs of the planet.

If you still fancy Thailand after, many of us are making it work.

After traveling around the world for 12 months and being amazed by nature and cultures and customs, Thailand will not look very appealing.

I'd have to partially agree with the stock market superstar, but do not anticipate making 80% in 2 years.

Nobody lives forever and you never know what can happen. Tomorrow, you could be run over by a truck. Therefore, grab the opportunity, buy a plane ticket and just come here. Spend the first 6 months relaxing and figure out what to do after that. 

The chances are that it will go pretty much like this:

You come here and party wild for a couple of months. After that gets boring, you will stumble over a Thai-woman, who you fall deeply in love with. This with generate two possible outcomes... 

1. You have no money left after 2-3 years and get thrown out of the house, you bought for her.

2. You will live here forever and will never be more happy.

It all depends on that woman you fall in love with :-) But no matter what. It will be a hell more fun than living a boring life.

Best advice I can give: USE CONDOMS, until you find out if you are heading for 1 or 2.

Good Luck!

A Change is as good as a Rest so take a year off and enjoy yourself here. But I wouldn't burn all my bridge back home yet, as to be honest you are too young to do this, and probably not near enough cash yet either. 

Depeding on how you want to live here, if $24,000 to $36,000 won't breakyour bank then do that. You will have a year laying around the beach to make future plans. 

First, take a long vacation.

Then, proceed to take 2 months off every year (you are self-employed so this may be possible?).

Gradually, while still living in the US, see if you manage to build skills to make a living online.

If you do, there won't be a question to ask.

If you don't, continue saving and make your move in say 10-15 years.

50+ will be easier visa-wise too.

Till then, invest your money say 70:30 (stock indices:bonds) or 80:20 if you can handle it.

Once you move, reduce stocks to say 60:40, when you get older, 50:50 and so on.

Keep in mind that coming for a vacation to Thailand is VERY different then trying to make a living here. Most people will find a good balance in making the money in farangland and spending it here.

40 years old with $300 grand to worry about ?

Okay, marry the first bargirl you meet and build her a house in Issan. Easy, now you needn't worry about the 300 grand.

If by chance you resist marring and building that house for your  'namphung' (honey) ...You are still only 40 something and you NEED to be doing something ! I stopped at 38 and spent the better part of ten years building up a small 'back to the land cottage...up past Chieng Dao. Country living at its best, except people go to bed at 8 pm and up at 5. Chiengmai was still wide open then, so every 10 days I went to town, but, after two nights it really gets down to being boring. both in the country and the city...if you do not have a "project". Drinking and whoring works for the first few years. Now, CM is polluted, crowded and just boringly unpleasant. I can see that it provides stability for people who were bureaucrats in their home countries. You are at your best between 38 and 55. I am now 65 and should have used my 40's more creatively. It was lots of fun though.....but, I could have done all I did then....now at 65...with the old man's dole.

And the present political situations does not give any assurance to security over the long haul in Thailand. for tourists...and retirement visas are just enhanced tourist visas.

My advice quit your job, dare to be great.......but, be smart about it ;-)    Yeah....there is always a catch  ;-(

On 8/24/2017 at 11:21 AM, davidst01 said:

No offense but 3.75% is a pathetic return that I would not get out of bed for. Inflation will eat away this return. 

Ive been trading in and out of technology stocks on Nasdaq and have a 2 yr return of 80%. We are living in the golden age of advertising and investing in high growth companies like Facebook or google is the go. 

Im now buying Bitcoin and holding onto it long term. I envisage that I will double my money in the coming years. There's companies like IBM and investment banks like JP morgan using the Blockchain technologies. I might try and invest in these technologies as well. It really is changing the way that companies do business and its all thanks to Bitcoin. 

Both of these options require knowledge and a bit of expertise and balls. There's a saying 'no balls no babies'. Apply this to your investing and Im sure you will understand the context. 

Put $200k on Facebook (nasdaq exchange). You will double your money in 3 to 5 yrs I think. They havent even started monetizing whats app or  messenger yet. They are getting into VR and AR (games), not to mention tv programs now. 1/3 of the worlds population uses Fbook. Instagram has a long way to go. I bet that 1/3 of the world will probably be using instagram one day in the future. FB is a cheap stock at the moment. If they do a stock split next year you will get huge gains. Thats my 2 cents worth.... good luck son

Please don't beat yourself up for mis-timing the markets.  In this day and age 40%/year return is pathetic.  I bought $1 of Bitcoin in 2010 at $.008 and now it's worth $62.5 Million at $4000 per Bitcoin.  That works out to over 7,000,000% return per year.  It's all in the timing, son.

Edited by casper54

7 hours ago, casper54 said:

Please don't beat yourself up for mis-timing the markets.  In this day and age 40%/year return is pathetic.  I bought $1 of Bitcoin in 2010 at $.008 and now it's worth $62.5 Million at $4000 per Bitcoin.  That works out to over 7,000,000% return per year.  It's all in the timing, son.

Becoming rich is the easiest thing a man can do. (Compound interest). Do this:
- Invest 1000 $ and double it every year (a measely 100 % gain per year). Looks like this:
1024000 after 10 years 1000$ have turned into over a million $.

Son, you are on the right track. By yielding 7000% per year (not only a measely 100%), 10 years fom now you will own more assets than were ever earned/created or accumulated during the entire recorded human history. Compond interest, start with 1000$, yielding 7000% per year.

Son, forgive me, but it is appropriate and necessary to talk to you like a Duch Uncle at this point.

Never heard that "financial-bubbles" will eventually burst? All of them! Starting with the "Tulip-Mania" in Holland (1637), up to the 1929 "big bang", followed by the "dot.com" bubble and the "real-estate-bubble" in the US some 10 years ago. (other minor "bubbles", too numerous to mention.)

But you, having described yourself as a "timing-expert", will surely leave the party 3 minutes before everybody else has realised that the house is on fire, only finding that the fire-exits are clogged with folks wanting to get out. (Sell).

But by all means, keep us informed how this 7000% yield per year unfolds. Risking that sooner or later some financial lightweights like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg etc will knock on you door, asking "Son, just how you do it"?

At least, we can all be assured, that the poster can not possibly be tempted to buy "Family-Land" recommended by his Thai GF, even by promising a 100% yield per year (100% is peanuts, compared to 7000%).

- How much does a Big-Mac cost at McDonalds these days in form of Bitcoins?
Cheers.  

1 hour ago, swissie said:

- Invest 1000 $ and double it every year (a measely 100 % gain per year). Looks like this:

Son, you are on the right track. By yielding 7000% per year (not only a measely 100%), 10 years fom now you will own more assets than were ever earned/created or accumulated during the entire recorded human history. Compond interest, start with 1000$, yielding 7000% per year.

Son, forgive me, but it is appropriate and necessary to talk to you like a Duch Uncle at this point.

Never heard that "financial-bubbles" will eventually burst? All of them! Starting with the "Tulip-Mania" in Holland (1637), up to the 1929 "big bang", followed by the "dot.com" bubble and the "real-estate-bubble" in the US some 10 years ago. (other minor "bubbles", too numerous to mention.)

But you, having described yourself as a "timing-expert", will surely leave the party 3 minutes before everybody else has realised that the house is on fire, only finding that the fire-exits are clogged with folks wanting to get out. (Sell).

But by all means, keep us informed how this 7000% yield per year unfolds. Risking that sooner or later some financial lightweights like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg etc will knock on you door, asking "Son, just how you do it"?

At least, we can all be assured, that the poster can not possibly be tempted to buy "Family-Land" recommended by his Thai GF, even by promising a 100% yield per year (100% is peanuts, compared to 7000%).

Cheers.  

Not 7000%, 7,000,000%.  Do the math.

Last week, I invested $4 for two shares in the Poor Folks Retirement fund here in the USA. The potential yield was around $530 Million USD, less taxes and cash payout.  I only missed it by 6 numbers.  One other time I did get 100% return on my investment - got my $2. back.

On 8/28/2017 at 2:40 AM, Teak said:

Okay, marry the first bargirl you meet and build her a house in Issan. Easy, now you needn't worry about the 300 grand.

HA HA HA!!!!    55555  That is so funny!  How did you ever think that one up?

You must have lived in Thailand a long time and enjoyed a lot of barstool banter, no? 

On 8/24/2017 at 11:21 AM, davidst01 said:

No offense but 3.75% is a pathetic return that I would not get out of bed for. Inflation will eat away this return. 

Ive been trading in and out of technology stocks on Nasdaq and have a 2 yr return of 80%. We are living in the golden age of advertising and investing in high growth companies like Facebook or google is the go. 

Im now buying Bitcoin and holding onto it long term. I envisage that I will double my money in the coming years. There's companies like IBM and investment banks like JP morgan using the Blockchain technologies. I might try and invest in these technologies as well. It really is changing the way that companies do business and its all thanks to Bitcoin. 

Both of these options require knowledge and a bit of expertise and balls. There's a saying 'no balls no babies'. Apply this to your investing and Im sure you will understand the context. 

Put $200k on Facebook (nasdaq exchange). You will double your money in 3 to 5 yrs I think. They havent even started monetizing whats app or  messenger yet. They are getting into VR and AR (games), not to mention tv programs now. 1/3 of the worlds population uses Fbook. Instagram has a long way to go. I bet that 1/3 of the world will probably be using instagram one day in the future. FB is a cheap stock at the moment. If they do a stock split next year you will get huge gains. Thats my 2 cents worth.... good luck son

I advise you to keep as far away from this guy as possible!        

On 8/29/2017 at 3:25 AM, swissie said:

Cheers.  

what asset do you invest in (in the above model) of doubling your money every year? You conveniently fail to mention this. ha ha

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, tonray said:
  • Invest the money in the US market with a balanced portfolio of stocks and fixed income. You can generate about 3.75 % with a reasonable degree of stability and risk.

After tax (which you will need to pay on dividends and interest) you will net about 27,000 baht per month. 

BUT BUT....you are only in your 40s so that will not hold you until retirement. I suggest getting a new job for another 5 years, stuff money away until it hurts and then come.

In 5 years, that 300K will be worth 360,000 at 3.75% (likely more but being conservative here) and whatever else you save, let''s say you can bring that to 425K in 5 years.

Now 425K @ 3.75 % generates about 38,500 baht per month after tax. If you live frugally until retirement, you are good to go.

Exchange rates change, inflation changes needed savings. No one can say for sure if 38,500 will be enough in 5 years to live comfortably.

I had to work an extra 2 years after the 2007 crash to retire and move to LOS.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exchange rates change, inflation changes needed savings. No one can say for sure if 38,500 will be enough in 5 years to live comfortably.

I had to work an extra 2 years after the 2007 crash to retire and move to LOS.

Instead of simply attacking my plan, what is your solution for the OP ?

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Instead of simply attacking my plan, what is your solution for the OP ?

That's hardly an "attack" and I indicated my support for all those that said to continue working to build up a larger fund. It's not necessary to merely repeat what others are saying when the "like" function is sufficient.

Besides, isn't saying "I had to work an extra 2 years after the 2007 crash to retire and move to LOS." an indication of my solution?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

12 hours ago, davidst01 said:

what asset do you invest in (in the above model) of doubling your money every year? You conveniently fail to mention this. ha ha

I am not aware of any individual investment that has doubled in value every year for 10 years. If there was, I surely missed it. :sad:What I posted is strictly a numbers game.
Cheers.