BBC journalist on trial for Thailand crime reporting

webfact

Well the arrogant little lawyer obviously realised he would have opened a whole can of worms and the charges against Head have been withdrawn.  The trial against Vard is continuing but he won't have the big guns Head would have had.

Hopefully Head will now sue HIM for time wasting, possible loss of earnings, emotional distress etc but I can't see it happening. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41023226

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, BwindiBoy said:

Yet people will still go to Thailand to holiday and live, which I find extraordinary.

Why? It doesn't affect day to day life for most people who either live here or are on holiday. Its only when you start buying property, going into business,  or interfacing with some Thais  that some people encounter major problems.

Stay under the radar and life here is fine.

10 hours ago, onthesoi said:

All western countries have defamation/libel laws, including the UK where the BBC adhere to the letter, but they come to Thailand and think they are above the law.

JH is a professional Thai basher... So som nom na!

What are you smoking?? The reporter in question never thought he was above any law; he was exposing a crime, in the true spirit of investigative journalism.  Thank God that we still have people left that have the stones to do such a thing.  As for 'Thai bashing' - I doubt it - but then again what is wrong with that.  When someone (or a whole country) is in error, why not point it out to them.  How else can we drag a corrupt, wicked and backward group of primates kicking and screaming into the 21st century?  I agree this is not going to be easy, but the first step is create pressure via outrage around the world.

I concur with another poster above about the British and German governments having very little (i.e. nothing) in the way of a spine.  Not that long ago we would have had a battleship parked in the gulf of Thailand for such an outrage.

I wish him the best of luck, but he is clearly being targeted by the establishment for his and the BBC's left wing "any form of democracy, no matter how corrupt or murderous, before a junta" stance.

A lot of details missing (I don't have time to read 9 pages to find out if someone knows the back story).

The lawyer sold the property with an allegedly forged signature from the co-owner Andy Hall that allowed the sale.

Why weren't both owners needed to sign a sale agreement?

Who got the money from the sale?

Can anyone give me a brief on the details please?

:unsure:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Why? It doesn't affect day to day life for most people who either live here or are on holiday. Its only when you start buying property, going into business,  or interfacing with some Thais  that some people encounter major problems.

Stay under the radar and life here is fine.

It isn't only that.  What about the German fella killed by a bunch of thugs, all captured by cctv, yet nobody has been prosecuted for it?  It's a lawless country... unless you're "one of them".

What's the issue. Thailand is not a Colony of the British Empire, if people fall victim to scams, that seem to be well known, as business, as usual in Thailand. Well, so it goes. No matter the outcome, there will always be another person thinking this won't happen to them. There's gold in them-there hills.

Jonathan Head the charges where dropped but not against Ian the idiot lawyer is still going on with the charges against him.

How the hell can he as by dropping charges against Jonathon he admits he is in the wrong.

Stick with it Jonathon and get Ian free as well the sue the arse of the country.

BBC will retaliate on this I think.

yes, the plaintiff has dropped the case against Head but continued against the house owner because he is an easy target and he doesn't want the publicity that will go with suing, effectively the BBC. I hope the BBC support the defendant and continue to publicize the case

37 minutes ago, bobbymack said:

yes, the plaintiff has dropped the case against Head but continued against the house owner because he is an easy target and he doesn't want the publicity that will go with suing, effectively the BBC. I hope the BBC support the defendant and continue to publicize the case

The BBC will cane them in one way or another at the end of this case just wait and see and it will not stop there for death island and the druggie Full Moon Parties. I guess Mr G's living the dream will soon be over.

2 hours ago, Frotting said:

What are you smoking?? The reporter in question never thought he was above any law; he was exposing a crime, in the true spirit of investigative journalism.  Thank God that we still have people left that have the stones to do such a thing.  As for 'Thai bashing' - I doubt it - but then again what is wrong with that.  When someone (or a whole country) is in error, why not point it out to them.  How else can we drag a corrupt, wicked and backward group of primates kicking and screaming into the 21st century?  I agree this is not going to be easy, but the first step is create pressure via outrage around the world.

I concur with another poster above about the British and German governments having very little (i.e. nothing) in the way of a spine.  Not that long ago we would have had a battleship parked in the gulf of Thailand for such an outrage.

"How else can we drag a corrupt, wicked and backward group of primates kicking and screaming into the 21st century?"

Absurd, delusional, and grotesquely out of touch with the "21st century".

And thanks for confirming it with this:

"Not that long ago we would have had a battleship parked in the gulf of Thailand for such an outrage."

The last 17 years will, in time, be seen as part of the "hangover" from the 20th century.

As are your comments.

PS If you plan to spend a lot of time in Thailand it might be a good idea not to let the "whole country" know what you think of them (especially those in your immediate area).

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, bobbymack said:

This exactly !

Same old story, another Farlang fleeced by his ever loving Thai wife who is different from all the rest.

I`ve been with living with my Thai girlfriend in Thailand for many years. Would I officially marry her and buy land and property in her name? Not in a million years. It`s well known how flimsy the laws are in Thailand, so why would two allegedly professional business men risk investing thousands and thousands of pounds in Thailand mainly on trust and with all the restrictions that go with it? 

Sorry; but I have little sympathy for these guys, they really should have placed more thought into it and know better.

16 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Same old story, another Farlang fleeced by his ever loving Thai wife who is different from all the rest.

I`ve been with living with my Thai girlfriend in Thailand for many years. Would I officially marry her and buy land and property in her name? Not in a million years. It`s well known how flimsy the laws are in Thailand, so why would two allegedly professional business men risk investing thousands and thousands of pounds in Thailand mainly on trust and with all the restrictions that go with it? 

Sorry; but I have little sympathy for these guys, they really should have placed more thought into it and know better.

I agree completely, but it doesn't excuse what happens.

The laws here are not secure for foreigners, but Thais are allowed to invest overseas.

Time to even up the playing field?

:cheesy:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

Hush, now you can see why they need those submarines...
[emoji3][emoji3]

UPDATE:

Thailand charges dropped against BBC reporter

Charges have been withdrawn against a BBC journalist in a criminal defamation case in Thailand.

Jonathan Head faced up to five years in jail if he had been convicted.

He and a co-defendant appeared in court in Phuket at the start of the trial on Wednesday. Both pleaded not guilty.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41023226

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-08-24

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

You clearly have no grasp of what actually happened. Far be it for me to enlighten a dimmed brain.