Arrest warrant issued for former Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra over court no show, trial delayed to 27 September

webfact

a special task force has been assembled to find her.

led by pol.chief tehiezel [keystone cops]

mr.plod [noddy land]

Charlie chaplin.

insp.clouseau.

mr.bean.

highly intelligent who expect a swift end.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, meatboy said:

mr.plod [noddy land]

Charlie chaplin.

insp.clouseau.

mr.bean.

Maybe the comedy team of the justice system, army, police and the runner will produce a funnier sitcom? 

I can't wait to see tomorrow's episode!

Edited by inThailand
fat fingers

24 minutes ago, meatboy said:

mr.plod [noddy land]

Charlie chaplin.

insp.clouseau.

mr.bean.

Word on the street is that they have seconded Arsene (I did not see the incident) Wenger to the task force.

Edited by owl sees all

21 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Maybe the comedy team of the justice system, army, police and the runner will produce a funnier sitcom? 

I can't wait to see tomorrow's episode!

they already are... ("Send in the Clowns" playing in the background)

23 hours ago, choff56 said:

Bringing global attention to the Thai repressive military junta and a very corrupt justice system. Good move Yingluck, you appear to have Prayuth in check.

Do you seriously think that this wasn't all planned?..... Yingluck allowed to escape to avoid putting her in jail and causing political demonstrations and possible civil war. Her mates given huge sentences which nobody (especially Yingluck will care about).

10 minutes ago, darren84310 said:

Do you seriously think that this wasn't all planned?..... Yingluck allowed to escape to avoid putting her in jail and causing political demonstrations and possible civil war. Her mates given huge sentences which nobody (especially Yingluck will care about).

To be honest the answer to the post is that I don't know. It's possible that she was given either the opportunity or the ultimation to flee.

Reports are scratchy at the mo'. In one I read that she left in her own private jet (thought I thought it had been seized). Another said she just walked through customs.

I am, like many, just guessing at the present. Makes for great posting though.

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

5 hours ago, ZAKY said:

How can a ex-prime minister pass through immigration and leave thailand when the whole nation knows that she is facing a sentence? While foreigners accused of crime abroad are easily caught by means of Interpol. No sense? 

It depends on the size of your bank account. :thumbsup:

"She could be at any hospital ... she could be ill. It's not clear whether she has fled," he told reporters. "Yingluck has many homes and many cars. It is difficult to track her."

So  why haven't these many assets been frozen or confiscated ??

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

To be honest the answer to the post is that I don't know. It's possible that she was given either the opportunity or the ultimation to flee.

Reports are scratchy at the mo'. In one I read that she left in her own private jet (thought I thought it had been seized). Another said she just walked through customs.

I am, like many, just guessing at the present. Makes for great posting though.

straight through customs with 40suit cases OF ?

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

"She could be at any hospital ... she could be ill. It's not clear whether she has fled," he told reporters. "Yingluck has many homes and many cars. It is difficult to track her."

Because in typical Thai fashion they are already mortgaged and not paid for,  and the borrower will just do a runner. 

12 hours ago, pomchop said:

Puea Thai party has - under various different names - won every election in Thailand since 2001.

so much for any pretense of democracy....

Bought the elections, <deleted> to do with democracy. 

20 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Guff.

The 'Bitter Medicine' policies of the second Chuan Leekpai Democrat government in the 90's was to pay for the losses after the Asian financial crash and were directly aimed at the poorest regions of the country, and all the while in the late 90's the rich got richer. 

The poorest people in the country still remember and hate the Democrats for that, hence they remain unelectable, even today. 

Thaksin was so universally popular because he reversed that and recognised the needs of the rural poor, when others had just tread on them. 

Not at all. Thaksin found out that he could make a heck of a lot of personal money by exploiting the poor under the guise of "supporting" them. The Rice scheme was no differet from many of his other failed and dishonest scheme. I have no idea why rational farangs do not understand that Thaksin is a manipulative sociopath and succeeded in getting his "sister" into a big mess as well as the country. To me the whole Shin era is so transparent .....to support him is to bend to ideology instead of taking a balanced view of all the events and understanding the fundamental dishonesty that lays behind them. And before you or anyone claims that I support the military...No it's nothing to do with supporting one side or another. To take an entrenched position is to deny the facts as they are. And your understanding of the Chew on Leek Pie policies is incorrect.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Because she is still technically innocent for the charges, until judges officially read the verdicts. Next month, and she will be officially guilty for what she was charged. Then her homes, lands, and any other properties I'm her name and family's name will be confiscated. Her bank accounts in Thailand had been frozen with very limited access for a while now. But we all know she has offshore accounts.

1 hour ago, cumgranosalus said:

There was a good chance of acquittal. Either way the government had a problem....this is the best result by far for the regime.

Then you'll know 27th Sept as surely they would not turn an acquittal into a guilty being honest and impartial as they are.

24 minutes ago, ianf said:

Not at all. Thaksin found out that he could make a heck of a lot of personal money by exploiting the poor under the guise of "supporting" them. The Rice scheme was no differet from many of his other failed and dishonest scheme. I have no idea why rational farangs do not understand that Thaksin is a manipulative sociopath and succeeded in getting his "sister" into a big mess as well as the country. To me the whole Shin era is so transparent .....to support him is to bend to ideology instead of taking a balanced view of all the events and understanding the fundamental dishonesty that lays behind them. And before you or anyone claims that I support the military...No it's nothing to do with supporting one side or another. To take an entrenched position is to deny the facts as they are. And your understanding of the Chew on Leek Pie policies is incorrect.

Rather than rely on your feelings about the matter, let's look at some data.  Here's a graph of the Gini Coefficient, a measure of income inequality, for the regions of Thailand for three periods including the Thaksin period.  We can see that the period of the Tom Yum Goong Crisis in the late 90's caused a spike in inequality in every region of Thailand.  From 2000 to 2004, roughly the initial Thaksin period, inequality dropped by a considerable amount especially in the North, the Northeast and the South, but not in Bangkok. 

image.png.032f28eb298c3bdb1fa18abefa9d79b8.png

Thaksin certainly pursued personal gain, but he also made promises to the poor Thai majority and kept those promises more than any Thai politician in history.  It is on this basis and not some mistaken notion that he was a kind of Gandhi that many observers regard the destruction of Thai democracy as an atrocity.  The improvements in their standard of living for the Thai majority were not a fraud.  Although Thai can be criticized for much, including human rights abuses, he did not seize power and stop elections.  The Shinawatra governments were legitimately elected.

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The Isaan/north people have lost their figurehead for now.

They know that there is no-one in this military/elite <snip> that gives a <snip> about them; other than to keep them in their perceived Thai hierarchy place.  

Hopefully a jewel will rise from the pebbles and become a champion to help them get a decent shout next time 'round.

Thailand belongs to the farmers and the poor people. 

And the meek just might inherit the earth, blessed or not

You wont be related to Wolfie Smith by any chance

6 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Rather than rely on your feelings about the matter, let's look at some data.  Here's a graph of the Gini Coefficient, a measure of income inequality, for the regions of Thailand for three periods including the Thaksin period.  We can see that the period of the Tom Yum Goong Crisis in the late 90's caused a spike in inequality in every region of Thailand.  From 2000 to 2004, roughly the initial Thaksin period, inequality dropped by a considerable amount especially in the North, the Northeast and the South, but not in Bangkok. 

image.png.032f28eb298c3bdb1fa18abefa9d79b8.png

Thaksin certainly pursued personal gain, but he also made promises to the poor Thai majority and kept those promises more than any Thai politician in history.  It is on this basis and not some mistaken notion that he was a kind of Gandhi that many observers regard the destruction of Thai democracy as an atrocity.  The improvements in their standard of living for the Thai majority were not a fraud.  Although Thai can be criticized for much, including human rights abuses, he did not seize power and stop elections.  The Shinawatra governments were legitimately elected.

Yep spot on. Of course to the average foreigner posting on here and supporting the junta  those Thai majority are stupid and have been fooled. That the actual advances made during his tenure are easily measurable and visible is of no concern. There is a reason why Thaksin and his proxies were so successful in elections, and it's not because the average Thai voter is stupid...

".....made promises to the poor Thai majority and kept those promises more than any Thai politician in history." (CaptainHaddock)

Maybe, but past politicians may have done very little, therefore Thaksin did not need to do much at all. Whatever that family did was to enrich (money and power) themselves first BEFORE helping others. Or they helped others in order to enrich themselves. Any different to any other period of Thai history (and history only stopped at yesterday)? :whistling:

Too little education, too much corruption and cronyism all at the expense of the poor. :sad:

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording