Supreme Court jails Boonsong 42 years on G-to-G rice deal

webfact

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am happy corruption is punished, your a disappointment in that you did not understand how much money this guy stole from the rice program by doing this fake deal. Now he and his minions (not only him) are punished and I am happy about it. It clearly shows the huge corruption in the rice program.

Do you even understand what these fake rice deals were.

Rice is in storage paid at say 20.000 bt a ton

In G2G deal that rice is sold to China (but it was not China) for 5.000 bt a ton

Rice was never sold to China because the deal was fake, but this rice was sold back into the rice program.. profit (in my example) 15.000 bt per ton. (could be more could be less but you can bet your life on it it was a lot of money)

I can't understand that you don't applaud that such a huge corruption scandal is punished... probably because it showed that YL was a corruption enabler. People told her about this..s he did not react.. made her negligent.

Nothing political.. all facts 

I guess people on the red side are allowed to steal and be corrupt because if they get punished its political. 

negligent or complicit.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, robblok said:

Yes the rice that was sold  cheap as if it was going to China (but was not) stayed local and was resold for the second time into the rice program. 

Thanks.  Nice work if you could get it and didn't have to do 40 years porridge. He will be tasting a lot of low grade rice. Sad eh!  (not).

22 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Correct me if I am wrong but at the time, Thailand was world No-1 in the export of rice.  The scheme was for the gov to pay for the rice and hold it to force an under supply and so drive prices up.  (as OPEC did in 1973).  In the event, other countries upped their production and so broken the under supply and the plan collapsed.  I dare say there were skimmers along the way but as an economic policy it is basically sound.

But you missed the big flaw. Thailand withdraws from the market, pushing the price up, so then Thailand sells some rice at the higher price, and the price begins to come back down. It is no benefit to Thailand to have a higher price for rice if they are not selling.

Meanwhile, Thailand has massively increased production because of the price they are offering farmers. How do they sell that while keeping the price high?

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Read my other post about the fake rice to rice deal. i know your a real smart guy.. so it should be easy to understand. It was all explained in newspapers and all how the fake deals worked.. see post 123 from me. 

Thank you for clarification and having read your post 123 I can see what you are saying.   I would hope that this was a well meaning economic policy in the start which got corrupted along the way.

7 minutes ago, halloween said:

But you missed the big flaw. Thailand withdraws from the market, pushing the price up, so then Thailand sells some rice at the higher price, and the price begins to come back down. It is no benefit to Thailand to have a higher price for rice if they are not selling.

Meanwhile, Thailand has massively increased production because of the price they are offering farmers. How do they sell that while keeping the price high?

You are missing the big flaw, other countries filled the gap so there was no under supply, simple as that.

Just now, Tilacme said:

You are missing the big flaw, other countries filled the gap so there was no under supply, simple as that.

I know what happened. I was pointing out the flaw in what you mistakenly described as basically sound economic policy. Every economic commentator that looked at it laughed.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

I know what happened. I was pointing out the flaw in what you mistakenly described as basically sound economic policy. Every economic commentator that looked at it laughed.

Why can I ask, would an economist laugh at a basic supply and demand model.

2 hours ago, Tilacme said:

How can I suggest that when it has already been proven at Court.  Do you have faith in the Courts?  If you do then good for you.

Courts vary, alas.

Had faith in the Constitutional Court been well-placed in August of 2001, Square Face would never have skated after having concealed billions of baht a few years earlier, ostensibly owned (LOL!) by members of his household help.

Edited by max2u

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do you believe 42 years is a proportionate and just sentence? Are frauds and corruption within the current government being pursued with same vigour?

Seems like a terrible double standard here because one could equally ask are frauds and corruption being pursued with the same vigour when the victim is a farang? Certainly doesn't seem like it to me judging from the circumstances in yesterday's big news of the day regarding the BBC defamation case obout property fraud in Phuket. Ian Rance is living virtually destitute in Bangkok and little if any progress has been made in returning his stolen assets. So if fraud is such a big deal in Thailand why haven't the victims received swift and decisive restitution? Instead all the vigour seems to have been directed towards making Ian Rance look like the nasty person   for wanting to get his money back

Edited by midas

22 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Why can I ask, would an economist laugh at a basic supply and demand model.

You could try reading the reports of the time. But to state it again, how do you push the price up while massively increasing your production? By not selling, which only helps the other sellers?

Edited by halloween

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

So you squeal when red bull gets away, you squeal when the boys on koh tao get done up, you squeal about the courts in every other case - Drummond, Jonathan Head and SUDDENLY you approve when it's this case?

there's a name for that but I don't want to get banned yet again

Didn't the red bull guy commit murder? The guys on Koh Tao had a horrible trial, and Jonathan Head only reported the truth?

Now, this guy is caught red handed committing corruption. And you're against the judgement?

You've got a warped sense of reality.

Well, if it really turns out that YL has left the country then even the most ardent junta supporter must admit that this is clear, unambiguous and irrefutable evidence that this whole thing is political.

Because if they let her go (and they must have if she left) then that means they don't care about justice and punishing bad guys like some of the more gullible (I'm being generous here) junta supporter actually believe.

Eat crow, guys.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do you believe 42 years is a proportionate and just sentence? Are frauds and corruption within the current government being pursued with same vigour?

Yes I do. This man was entrusted to manage the assets of the people of Thailand. He betrayed that trust and should pay with the rest of his life in prison. Some suggest a few years would be sufficient, and then to live like a king on the stolen assets he has concealed?

I don't suppose we could have expected any better from a man appointed by a criminal to do his bidding. It's only a pity Yingluk has seemingly slipped away.

8 minutes ago, Becker said:

Well, if it really turns out that YL has left the country then even the most ardent junta supporter must admit that this is clear, unambiguous and irrefutable evidence that this whole thing is political.

Because if they let her go (and they must have if she left) then that means they don't care about justice and punishing bad guys like some of the more gullible (I'm being generous here) junta supporter actually believe.

Eat crow, guys.

Criminals jump the border every day. what is political about an elected criminal doing the same?

your supposition is not clear, unambiguous and irrefutable evidence of anything except your inabililty to tell fact from fiction.

Edited by halloween

15 minutes ago, halloween said:

Criminals jump the border every day. what is political about an elected criminal doing the same?

your supposition is not clear, unambiguous and irrefutable evidence of anything except your inabililty to tell fact from fiction.

Do you honestly believe that YL was not under watch  during this period of time? In another thread it is even written in the OP that a state official made sure she could leave the country. 

5 hours ago, gummy said:

what a farce ?

why he did not fled before? in Thailand there is always a way to know in advance the Court decision, see our elected prime minister, she did know in advance and there is many cases like this with the BBC case staff involved!

4 minutes ago, candide said:

Do you honestly believe that YL was not under watch  during this period of time? In another thread it is even written in the OP that a state official made sure she could leave the country. 

if all people involved in wrong doing acts an Thailand have to go to jail for 42 years the top priority under article 44 is to build new super jail to have enough space, thing only about all military people involved with the conscription each year and after paying 40,000 baht you don't need to spend time,  or admission "fees" in all schools in Thailand paid in cash to the Directors!

11 minutes ago, candide said:

Well if it's written in the OP it must be true! I have speculated elsewhere how she avoided her guards, a nice thick wad of baht will do it every time.

but if you prefer conspiracy theories, go ahead.

32 minutes ago, halloween said:

Yes I do. This man was entrusted to manage the assets of the people of Thailand. He betrayed that trust and should pay with the rest of his life in prison. Some suggest a few years would be sufficient, and then to live like a king on the stolen assets he has concealed?

I don't suppose we could have expected any better from a man appointed by a criminal to do his bidding. It's only a pity Yingluk has seemingly slipped away.

yes she is clever! congratulations! she knows of course in advance, easy task in Thailand when you have large brown enveloppe to hand over! hope she will manage a Government in exile with Thaksin!

1 minute ago, halloween said:

Well if it's written in the OP it must be true! I have speculated elsewhere how she avoided her guards, a nice thick wad of baht will do it every time.

but if you prefer conspiracy theories, go ahead.

And of course, according to your scenario, the police or military who were in charge of watching her were not afraid of the Junta. What a joke! By the way, as usual, what you call a conspiracy theory is also the one commonly held by the BBC, Reuters, etc....

49 minutes ago, halloween said:

55555555! Yes, she "slipped away" despite being under intense junta surveillance 24/7. In fact, I'm pretty sure she coundn't even walk in her own garden without stumbling over junta agents.

And she just "slipped away"....:coffee1:

1 minute ago, Becker said:

55555555! Yes, she "slipped away" despite being under intense junta surveillance 24/7. In fact, I'm pretty sure she coundn't even walk in her own garden without stumbling over junta agents.

And she just "slipped away"....:coffee1:

That or she bribed some people.. but it does look suspicious. I certainly would not bet my life on it that she was not aided by the junta. Three options, bribing, incompetence, or aided by the junta. I certainly would not want to make any high bets because all 3 are possible. 

32 minutes ago, choudens said:

yes she is clever! congratulations! she knows of course in advance, easy task in Thailand when you have large brown enveloppe to hand over! hope she will manage a Government in exile with Thaksin!

Maybe the  Government of  your  country of  origin?  Good luck  with  that !  lol

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

That or she bribed some people.. but it does look suspicious. I certainly would not bet my life on it that she was not aided by the junta. Three options, bribing, incompetence, or aided by the junta. I certainly would not want to make any high bets because all 3 are possible. 

Well, my money is on her "slipping away" with the consent of the junta. If the junta leader really had wanted to prevent her from leaving he could have done so. Even he and his minions aren't that clueless.