What is it with all the fruit wine concealed as red wine?

Na Fan

On 9/5/2017 at 4:49 PM, kkerry said:

Same alcohol content as in Australia then. If they were using enough fruit juice to get a tax cut you would think the difference in taste would be noticeable.

I'm guessing casks are packaged in Australia and exported as is (not much difference in freight costs) while bottled wine is sent in bulk and bottled in Thailand, in the same way cheaper Scotch is sent to Australia, water added and bottled locally to reduce freight costs. Probably needs an investigative journalist with industry contacts to work out what really happens to cheap imported wine in Thailand.

What kind of alcohol is added.

2 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Any news on wine/beer price rise please ?

Went into a wine shop here in Phuket on Wednesday and was surprised at the prices in the shop........lower than I have ever seen them!!

Many Chilean wines at 360 baht as well as a few Aussie wines a little more expensive and one Aussie wine was 399 vs 499 in Big C.

If that is as a result of the new tax structure, then I'm all for it!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Except for Australian wines, it is safe to assume that wine from other major producers, France, Chile, Italy, etc always will be 100% genuine wine?

Sorry to say.....No!

We already have wine with fruit juice added, from France, Italy, USA and South Africa and perhaps more, but the good thing is that the labels do state that fruit juice is added.....this quite clearly in most cases, but Siam Winery do not. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

Sorry to say.....No!

We already have wine with fruit juice added, from France, Italy, USA and South Africa and perhaps more, but the good thing is that the labels do state that fruit juice is added.....this quite clearly in most cases, but Siam Winery do not. 

I don't understand?  they take "regular wine"  and add fruit juice to it.  Somewhere else I read they add alcohol.?

Found this article http://www.thebigchilli.com/news/fruit-wine-is-it-for-real

Edited by joeyg

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

I don't understand?  they take "regular wine"  and add fruit juice to it.  Somewhere else I read they add alcohol.?

Found this article http://www.thebigchilli.com/news/fruit-wine-is-it-for-real

They take unfermented grape juice and add fruit juice to it as one of the links says, to lower the tax/duty payable.

Read on another thread that today is when the new tax regime takes effect, however in my posts a couple back I have found a shop with great prices and thought that might be a reflection of the new regime.......will have to keep an eye on that shop!!

Just now, xylophone said:

They take unfermented grape juice and add fruit juice to it as one of the links says, to lower the tax/duty payable.

Read on another thread that today is when the new tax regime takes effect, however in my posts a couple back I have found a shop with great prices and thought that might be a reflection of the new regime.......will have to keep an eye on that shop!!

I heard the tax starts on the 19th.  But that was from a shop attendant.  Sucks.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Sorry.  I still don't get it.  When does the alcohol come in?

7 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

The only thing that matters is the alcohol content. Who cares what the label says, as long as it tastes good and packs a good punch.

Oh well, a bottle of rubbing alcohol plus some fruit juice or sugar should be sufficient for you then!!:sorry:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, topt said:

Maybe this will help you -

http://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/wine/how-wine-is-made/

As xylophone said :thumbsup:

We made 150 gallons per year when my grandfather was alive, for 20 years or so.   I still remember the whole process.  From testing and "runging" barrels to making the finished product.  I think "xylo" cleared it up.  It's fermented in the bottle.  Right?  Just never heard of wine being made like that.

39 minutes ago, joeyg said:

We made 150 gallons per year when my grandfather was alive, for 20 years or so.   I still remember the whole process.  From testing and "runging" barrels to making the finished product.  I think "xylo" cleared it up.  It's fermented in the bottle.  Right?  Just never heard of wine being made like that.

Now, now joeyg, stop extracting the urine..........if your grandfather made wine then you know how it is fermented!! It can and is fermented in containers (vats) of concrete, glass, stainless steel, foudres (or very large barrels) and so on........this you know.

It is not fermented in the bottle, but Champagne does undergo a type of secondary fermentation in the bottle to give it the bubbles and that is why champagne bottles are made of thicker glass.....to withstand the pressure.

But you know this, don't you, so please no more acting dumb, unless of course.........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Now, now joeyg, stop extracting the urine..........if your grandfather made wine then you know how it is fermented!! It can and is fermented in containers (vats) of concrete, glass, stainless steel, foudres (or very large barrels) and so on........this you know.

It is not fermented in the bottle, but Champagne does undergo a type of secondary fermentation in the bottle to give it the bubbles and that is why champagne bottles are made of thicker glass.....to withstand the pressure.

But you know this, don't you, so please no more acting dumb, unless of course.........

I was asking an honest question.  I was confused.  You might have heard of it? Jesus Christ you guys can ruin a wet dream.  Unbelievable!

• Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

In amongst the other posts with regards to price increases on alcohol and tobacco, along with fruit juice and red wine and also Montclair, there appears to be a little bit of good news for those wine lovers who like to shop at Tesco Lotus stores, well the larger ones at least.

Had a look in the Tesco Lotus "imported goods" section and they have increased their range of imported wines and they are still well priced and as far as I am aware, have not increased the prices, in fact the couple have come down in price!

New wines to the range include 2016 Beaujolais Villages for those who like a very fruity, almost "bubblegum" wine from the gamay grape; a Valpolicella; a Faugeres (from the south of France, Languedoc region); a Hautes Cotes de Nuits (Burgundy); a Pinotage from South Africa as well as a few white wines including a couple from New Zealand.

Bargain of the day would have to be a Late Bottled Vintage Port at around 649 baht a bottle.

I couldn't buy any because it was past the 2 PM curfew time, however I will be back to that store very shortly.

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2017 at 12:21 AM, binjalin said:

This is the point. I have spoken to Rimping on several occasions about mixing in the fruit wine rubbish amongst the 'real' wines and, frankly, they don't understand the difference.

Several have said to me "yes wine is made from grapes... fruit!"

Several have said to me "yes wine is made from grapes... fruit!"

It is this kind of backchat smart alec answer is one of the factors why I sold up. A slap is not just 4 fingers and a thumb moving past your face, it can also be a closed fist giving you a slap for being a cheeky foreigner.

Edited by autanic
  • Haha 1

I know this pic is totally off topic (or not?), but I can't help posting it.

Currently travelling in Europe (Madeira).

74 eurocents for a litre = 30 baht for real wine.

I do not know what it tastes like - since for 3,5 euro (140 baht) one can buy Grao Vasco or Matheus Rose....

P1270228.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

For those who like their wine unadulterated with other fruit juice, the outlook is not rosy for wine here. Not only because of the recent? tax increases (when they are fully implemented) but because of poor grape harvests worldwide.

The following article deals with France, Spain and Italy, however the recent harvest in Oz was "patchy" and in Chile was low.........so expect higher prices, maybe even for the fruit wines.

"Global wine production plummeted to an almost six-decade low this year - and that isn't even the worst news.

Thanks to the ravages of climate change, experts say that these sorts of bad harvests, once considered historic, will likely grow more common in the future.

This week, the International Organization of Vine and Wine, a Paris-based scientific and technical group, announced that production would fall by roughly 3 billion bottles this year, a drop of more than eight percent from 2016 and the lowest level seen since 1961.

The losses were driven by a trio of extreme weather events in Italy, Spain and France, three of the world's largest wine-producing countries. The most-impacted regions include those that produce Bordeaux, Rioja and Chianti.

Rabobank, in its latest issue of AgriBusisiness Monthly, said both France and Italy are flagging the worst harvest in decades, with dramatically reduced wine grape yields.

Spanish production is also likely to contract.

"This will generate a significant decline in total global wine production in 2017," the bank said.

"France, Italy and Spain together account for around for 60 per cent of global production and there is insufficient growth elsewhere in the world to come close to offsetting their falls," Rabobank said.

The bank said it expected global inventories to fall by as much as 12 per cent this year compared with last year.

"Global bulk wine prices will likely see some upward pressure moving into 2018 as markets look to fill the gap," it said".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11937631 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2017 at 1:50 AM, scoutman360 said:

The only thing that matters is the alcohol content. Who cares what the label says, as long as it tastes good and packs a good punch.

I must say I agree but unfortunately the wanabee wine connaisseurs and wine snobs

( boring lot ) wish to force their dubious knowledge down everyones throats, please leave

people alone to make their own choices.

20 minutes ago, topt said:

Taking that to an extreme you may as well close every forum then.

There are some people who enjoy reading/discussing/arguing others' points of view. I don't agree with scoutman360's overall comment but he is entitled to his opinion - as are you.......:thumbsup:

Not aware of that which you quote topt (scoutman360's comment) and anyway the poster who doesn't like reading about wine and discussions about it, doesn't have to read the thread........simple really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

For those who like their wine unadulterated with other fruit juice, the outlook is not rosy for wine here. Not only because of the recent? tax increases (when they are fully implemented) but because of poor grape harvests worldwide.

The following article deals with France, Spain and Italy, however the recent harvest in Oz was "patchy" and in Chile was low.........so expect higher prices, maybe even for the fruit wines.

"Global wine production plummeted to an almost six-decade low this year - and that isn't even the worst news.

Thanks to the ravages of climate change, experts say that these sorts of bad harvests, once considered historic, will likely grow more common in the future.

This week, the International Organization of Vine and Wine, a Paris-based scientific and technical group, announced that production would fall by roughly 3 billion bottles this year, a drop of more than eight percent from 2016 and the lowest level seen since 1961.

The losses were driven by a trio of extreme weather events in Italy, Spain and France, three of the world's largest wine-producing countries. The most-impacted regions include those that produce Bordeaux, Rioja and Chianti.

Rabobank, in its latest issue of AgriBusisiness Monthly, said both France and Italy are flagging the worst harvest in decades, with dramatically reduced wine grape yields.

Spanish production is also likely to contract.

"This will generate a significant decline in total global wine production in 2017," the bank said.

"France, Italy and Spain together account for around for 60 per cent of global production and there is insufficient growth elsewhere in the world to come close to offsetting their falls," Rabobank said.

The bank said it expected global inventories to fall by as much as 12 per cent this year compared with last year.

"Global bulk wine prices will likely see some upward pressure moving into 2018 as markets look to fill the gap," it said".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11937631 

Great wine is coming from the UK and the Balkans.