What is it with all the fruit wine concealed as red wine?

Na Fan

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

Great wine is coming from the UK and the Balkans.

Which has got what to do with the article quoted? Are they going to make up the shortfall............

Curious though what your definition of "Great wine" is at that is certainly not an adjective I would have used?

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Great wine is coming from the UK and the Balkans.

Certainly there are good to very good wines coming out of the Balkans, but would find it difficult to label wines from the UK as such.

I was lucky enough to buy a bottle of red (here) from Bulgaria which was made for a royal occasion of some sort and although it was about 8-9 years old it was superb.

Then again wine making in that region goes back over 4000 years, so not surprising really.

And it was always easy to find wines from Hungary in the UK when I lived there, don't know about now though?

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Macedonia has really good wine much to my amazement.  Apparently, they are a very large producer of wine.  Per capita. LOL

Don't recall tasting any of those, craigt3365, but that whole area does have history and the Primitivo and Zinfandel grapes originated from the Crljenak grape from Croatia, so some pedigree if you like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

Don't recall tasting any of those, craigt3365, but that whole area does have history and the Primitivo and Zinfandel grapes originated from the Crljenak grape from Croatia, so some pedigree if you like.

We spent a few weeks in Georgia a few years ago.  Love their natural wines.  Fermented in clay pots underground.  Amazing when drank right from the containers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Funny that after tax increase fruit wine is cheaper ?

This 199 thb Charles Strong is acceptable for people used to drink sht montclair and acceptable marysol.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/charles-strong/wines/central-ranges-reserve-classic-bin-991-9999

I find this Charles strong even better than Marysol.

Of course it's not real wine, but enough to get drunk with 1 bottle !

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I'm not a wine connoisseur, and if i drink wine I prefer white wine, though today i bought a 3l box of African Horizon red at foodland for 619 Baht.

On the box it says aromatized alcoholic beverage, not wine or fruit wine even, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the taste.

It's import from South Africa, hence the blue sticker.

Anyone else tried this one.

It is 1 year old stock, so new stock will most probably not be same price.

Foodland had only 2 box wines , which was this in white and red, and berri estates red.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:27 AM, craigt3365 said:

We spent a few weeks in Georgia a few years ago.  Love their natural wines.  Fermented in clay pots underground.  Amazing when drank right from the containers.

Of course the Balkans are even more famous for the many great brandies they make.  Slivovice (though made from plums) is one but there are many better lesser known ones.

Edited by torrzent
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm not a wine connoisseur, and if i drink wine I prefer white wine, though today i bought a 3l box of African Horizon red at foodland for 619 Baht.

On the box it says aromatized alcoholic beverage, not wine or fruit wine even, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the taste.

It's import from South Africa, hence the blue sticker.

Anyone else tried this one.

It is 1 year old stock, so new stock will most probably not be same price.

Foodland had only 2 box wines , which was this in white and red, and berri estates red.

An aromatised wine (also spelled aromatized) is a fortified wine or mistelle that has been flavoured with herbs, spices, fruit or other natural flavourings.

Well it would fit into the same stable as the likes of Montclair although according to the definition not exactly – – – it does have something else added to it, which could include fruit juice and should include some sort of fortification (the addition of distilled spirits if you like).

Having said that, if that is the case then the amount of spirits added would have to be very minimal because I have tasted wine like this and could not detect any distilled spirits.

It makes no difference though, because if you like it, then that's all that matters!