What is it with all the fruit wine concealed as red wine?

Na Fan

Because Thais are Thais and it's a tax dodge and it's VERY annoying that they don't label clearly and Rimping, TOPS and Wine Connection do not separate them from the 'real' wine and so, often, we all buy them unknowingly.

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mooner said:

It is labelled properly. Just read the label and look out for the import tax sticker on the back.

If you are referring to the "wines" in bottles and boxes seen on supermarket shelves, I disagree. I've never seen the words "fruit wine" on the front label. Even though the words appear on the back label they are in tiny print, and the proportion of fruit juice is never stated (I believe it can be as high as 20%). Also, the type of fruit is never mentioned.

To me that is deliberately misleading.

Of course, there are some genuine fruit wines around - no grapes involved - and they are clearly labelled, even with pictures of the fruit (mangosteen, lychee, etc). Maybe they are the ones you say are clearly labelled.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Better to put wine bottles,  on the Duty Free "to-buy-list", when entering Thailand!!....And naturally, drink with moderation!

Unless you bring in the wine from another country, the "duty free" wine at the airport is not very good value.  The rules for duty free make little sense.  1 liter of alcohol regardless of alcohol %.  The liquor at least is manufactured in 1 liter bottles to maximize the amount.  I don't think I have ever seen wine in 1L bottles for duty free import.

35 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

I couldn't agree more with most of you - the labeling stinks.

There's so many different things at play here. On one side you've got ridiculously cheap alcohol to just get you drunk (see Lao Khao at 60-something Baht/bottle). On the flip side you have a "cheap" bottle of wine that they sell you for 10-15x that price. This leads to the impression that "it's ok" to get smashed, but "it's not ok" to actually enjoy drinking alcoholic beverages or heck, cook food with them.  I too have been buying the red wine in Europe from the "lower" shelves on many occasions and equally, the house wine in many Italian of French places, because it is often as enjoyable as a $100-bottle. And it often is good wine. Cheaply sold, but very good. 

But I digress. Back to the labeling topic. Picture this. You're standing in a 7-11, Tesco, whatever, and they have the alcohol safely tucked away behind the counter. Thus you're about 2-3 meters away from the bottles' labels, because, often, the "red wines" are on the top shelves. Thus if you want one, the staff has to get a chair or a small ladder out to get it for you. So far so good. But as it turns out the bottle you wanted happens to have the tiny lil "fruity fruity" label on the arse. Now I don't know about you, but I don't feel comfortable to ask the guy/girl to repeatedly climb up the ladder again and again just so I can read the back label of the bottle to see if what I'm about to buy is indeed a proper red wine, or some spin-off of one.  And obviously, the staff won't know (and honestly, I can't blame them) and thus can't be asked, either. It puts the consumer - at least in my opinion - in a silly situation. 

change.org, anyone? <shrug>

As far as I can tell, in the 7-11 and Mini Big C /Mini Tesco the only real  "wine" is Jacob's Creek @ 600B+.

However, even at that price, it may have been standing upright on a high shelf in temperatures of 30C+ for many months and will be undrinkable (OK, I'm not too fussy, so I'd probably drink it anyway).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I just want an honest description of what I am buying - then I can choose what price I am willing to pay.

This is the point. I have spoken to Rimping on several occasions about mixing in the fruit wine rubbish amongst the 'real' wines and, frankly, they don't understand the difference.

Several have said to me "yes wine is made from grapes... fruit!"

8 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

First of all, look at the label over the cap.  Blue means imported as is, brown-orange means it was imported as fruit juice (wine with alcohol extracted) with the alcohol added back in and bottled in Thailand as a tax dodge.  At least that bit is easy to see.  Anything under 400 Baht a bottle as well as cardboard boxes are nearly always with the orange label -- an abomination I refuse to drink.

Another red flag is where they call it "red" instead of "red wine".  If they studiously avoid to use the word "wine", you know why.  

Finally, read the fine print on the back and look for "fruit wine", "fruit blend" or the like.  

Annoying nanny-state shit like this is what's making me tired of this country.  

Some good advice thanks. The price point is obvious but I had not realised 'blue' was unadulterated and orange was 'tax dodge' fruit 'hope you don't find out dear consumer'.

The whole thing is just a deceit and, lets be fair, Thais are clueless. 

6 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Isn't it absolutely outrageous.

I want French prices!

With extra discounts.

Just because I'm so special.

God help the Frenchman in France that want's a 2 hour 3-way Thaigirl body massage for 40 Euros, like here. 

While I have your sympathetic ear, almost as annoying are the dimwits stores employ to stand  50cm next to you and bore a hole in you with their eyes while you make your selection.  Then when you make a choice they point at a random wine just a bit more expensive.  Who are they fooling, they wouldn't know if Merlot is a region or a grape, and sure like hell they've never tasted the wines they're recommending.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Everything is done for the benefit of a few fabulously wealthy families, not the ordinary people.

In fairness, jacking up the price of wine is a political no-brainer since most "ordinary people" will never buy any.  Not much chance of any popular backlash outside the expat community.

Which doesn't mean it doesn't stink...

12 hours ago, Mooner said:

It is labelled properly. Just read the label and look out for the import tax sticker on the back.

It's in fine print. Very misleading. We bought a bottle that looked like French wine. Said the region, etc. In very small print on the back at the bottom of the label,  it said made in Vietnam.

Horrible practice.