Unwavering support for their absent heroine

rooster59

Unwavering support for their absent heroine

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

4a4664068afa1674c1b13f7bbfd86096.jpeg

THE WHEREABOUTS of ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra may still remain a mystery but her supporters remain resolute and loyal.

They arrived at dawn to wait for their beloved former premier and even though they did not get to see her, they had no regrets at all.

Moreover, her supporters told the Nation they believed she would eventually play by the rules … when the rule of law could be guaranteed to the Shinawatras.

They said Yingluck’s disappearance yesterday might have been her best option, considering how unfairly they felt she had been treated in law under the junta government.

“We’re aware that her claim about suffering from Meniere’s disease may or may not be true,” said Chantalak Sangkhayothin from Petchburi. “While I’m concerned about her health, whether she lied or not is the least of our worries. And it doesn’t break our faith in her.”

44aefb206b8ba23e17ed1cf87e13e0f0.jpeg

Another Yingluck fan, who wanted to remain anonymous, said a few hours after the Supreme Court was told Yingluck was reportedly sick: “The court just wants to shoo us away but we won’t move. She’ll certainly show up this afternoon.”

The former prime minister did not, however, appear, and her fans eventually started packing their things and leaving. Police officers standing guard also appeared to relax their tight control over people’s movements.

But some still stayed to support Yingluck’s ex-commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, who in the afternoon was sentenced to 42 years in jail. The crowd booed at passing prison vans but did nothing further than that.

The authorities have been intercepting vehicles that allegedly had people on board who were planning to attend the hearing despite the junta’s ban on political gatherings. Thousands managed to turn up from several provinces, and some even travelled from abroad.

Approached by The Nation, many said they were either farmers or relatives of farmers. They had specially gone to thank Yingluck for the very reason she had been prosecuted – the rice-pledging scheme.

ba06d69366c8c6b10c204adc3a4523d7.jpeg

They never accepted that she was guilty of neglect, they said, and since they had benefited from receiving higher rice prices through Yingluck’s scheme they did not feel the country had been damaged.

They also raised questions about the way the junta had proceeded with the rice stocks remaining from Yingluck’s administration. “The way they have sold the rice and dealt with rice mill operators has not been transparent?” said Daopradab, a medical technologist from Bangkok. “We have not seen any damage so how can we believe there was any?”

Daopradab was wearing a red shirt with the words “Team Pu” on it, in reference to Yingluck’s nickname. Twenty other people wore the same shirts. The group said they had met each other at a Chiang Mai temple where Yingluck was making merits. “Should she want to flee, she would have done it ages ago,” a die-hard fan said. “Staying here won’t guarantee justice. It is the same with her brother, Thaksin. Is it fair for those having served people to be deprived of their freedom? No, so they were better off leaving.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30324916

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-26

From the Thais I have spoken to the divide is firmly there. The very few yellows I know are jubilant as they see it as 'told you so' and the few reds 'she had no choice'  and neutrals 'we all know it's political I can't blame her'. 

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

From the Thais I have spoken to the divide is firmly there. The very few yellows I know are jubilant as they see it as 'told you so' and the few reds 'she had no choice'  and neutrals 'we all know it's political I can't blame her'. 

Very well said

Just one comment

Those already overseas said Why Do You Think We Left.

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

At one time being overseas meant out of sight out of mind.

Social media has changed all that, not a good day for the ptb. Yinglucks facebook page will soon be running hot.

Excellent point. Was it not Yingluck being based here that stopped Thaksin from stirring the pot? I suppose that there are still other family members living here but Yingluck's flight will have loosened Thaksin's muzzle. I hope to see him start fighting back. In fact, I can't believe he has been so quiet for so long. Nowadays he will have more to gain than lose by upping his public profile.

4 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

We shall see how long the Thais put up with the double and triple standards, preferential legal treatments, lack of proper courts and trials and appeals, mandated behavior, inability to congregate and have political but peaceful talks. 

Reading your post, I suddenly had a vision of flying pigs.  

Like Taiwan, Singapore and S Korea, Thailand needs a strongman to put some limits at the trough so there's enough left over after all the corruption to grow the country.  The guy may be as corrupt as his predecessors, but the key is to keep the sum of all corruption below a tipping point so the economy can grow.  And the guy has to be tough (and smart) enough to survive it.

I'm just not seeing anyone that can take on the entrenched elite, limit their avarice, and survive.

31 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

My Thai wife was in meetings most of the day, and when she came home, I told her about Yingluck being gone.  Her face broke into a big smile and she said: "I know.  We heard about.   Good.  Now those bastards can't touch her!"  When I asked if her friends and work associates felt the same way, she was quick to tell me: "Hell yes!"  

She went on to say that now the constraints are off Thaksin, and both he and Yingluck can now go online and conduct their program to get rid of the illegal Junta.  

Exactly what I heard and I think there will be very few Thais who will think otherwise and, maybe, a few right wing farang on here lol.

what more can you expect from uneducated masses, when people are incapable of reading and comprehending the truth it doesnt help. All they see are dollar signs, who ever gives the the most money will always be number one,  When the proof is put in front of them they simply cannot accept it and then make excuses, many independent news sources have shown the same proof to people but their bias negates it all, they prefer their innuendo and lies

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Good for them. Guilty? I have no idea. Fair trial? NOPE! :thumbsup:

If she and others had any idea what was going on, guilty.

Fair trial?

Maybe.

Any trial, most of all of politicos, is possibly debatable.

But blatant behaviour of those on trial, or to be brought on trial, is offensive.

4 minutes ago, seajae said:

what more can you expect from uneducated masses, when people are incapable of reading and comprehending the truth it doesnt help. All they see are dollar signs, who ever gives the the most money will always be number one,  When the proof is put in front of them they simply cannot accept it and then make excuses, many independent news sources have shown the same proof to people but their bias negates it all, they prefer their innuendo and lies

Well we know somethings that we can all accept as facts right?  there is an unelected Junta that took control of government  FACT  people have come to mistrust the 'justice' system?  FACT   the case against Yingluck was political?  FACT   she knew the outcome and the Junta helped her leave?  FACT   the country is divided?  FACT  the next elections will be neutered?  FACT   so we can agree on at least those things right?

Edited by LannaGuy

Guilty, not guilty, fair trial or not their party was much more open to foreigners than the current junta. I feel welcomed when she was PM and her brother used to give elite visa holders the right to purchase land.

I hope they come back one day. 

11 minutes ago, seajae said:

Respectfully, do you really have such a low opinion of Thai people?

Further, if I might ask, why do you have such a low opinion?

I live here and find them to be, for the most part,  genuinely good souls.

Edited by Samui Bodoh

8 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Well we know somethings that we can all accept as facts right?  there is an unelected Junta that took control of government  FACT  people have come to mistrust the 'justice' system?  FACT   the case against Yingluck was political?  FACT   she knew the outcome and the Junta helped her leave?  FACT   the country is divided?  FACT  the next elections will be neutered?  FACT   so we can agree on at least those things right?

I think you are blurring the distinction between fact and fiction if you think that there was no legitimate case against your heroine.

You really don't like the Thai people do you?

Tell us exactly what is it which cements your obvious superiority?

10 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Only on the word fact..

Mistrust of the justice system was already there and in fact anywhere in the world, there were governments with a bias to personal enrichment, the country was divided already and further divided by the redshirts, the outcome of elections are always subject to neutering anywhere on the world, trials of politicos are always politically motivated, and fact is the best way is for her to go to Dubai.

Fact is, the Shins again leave their underlings out to dry.

As for the coup, what would have happened if there had not been a coup?

31 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Exactly what I heard and I think there will be very few Thais who will think otherwise and, maybe, a few right wing farang on here lol.

Disagree, most of my work colleagues say the opposite.

You guys are just write opportunist rubbish. 

57 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

And the Shinawatras are progressives I suppose? In any western democracy, they would be well to the right.

Yep, the history reapeat itself. Once Hitler was a hero that gave work and solid income to people. Now the country that he originate from and the people feel ashamed when his name is mentioned.
It´s called brainwashing, and it has always existed. It will take 25 years, but they will be forgotten and dispised in the future.

Edited by Get Real

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, do you really have such a low opinion of Thai people?

Further, if I might ask, why do you have such a low opinion?

I live here and find them to be, for the most part,  genuinely good souls.

no I dont but the farmers are a different thing, they are uneducated and flocked to the shins due to the financial promises that were made, most are incapable of understanding the truth and again the truth is not readily available in the areas they live in, very hard when reds run the villages etc, in reality there is a lot of brainwashing happening, the educated people know better as they are able to read and understand the truth of it all. I talk to  locals where I live and they see the same things, unfortunately a lot are yellow supporters which doesnt help either, seems very few people have regard for what happens to their country, its more about personal issues, finances chief amongst them

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Only on the word fact..

Mistrust of the justice system was already there and in fact anywhere in the world, there were governments with a bias to personal enrichment, the country was divided already and further divided by the redshirts, the outcome of elections are always subject to neutering anywhere on the world, trials of politicos are always politically motivated, and fact is the best way is for her to go to Dubai.

Fact is, the Shins again leave their underlings out to dry.

As for the coup, what would have happened if there had not been a coup?

Well that is easy to answer.

Without the coup ( and the planned disturbances that gave it supposed momentum ) the Thai people would still have an elected and accountable government.