Mayweather silences McGregor with 10th round stoppage

webfact

Mayweather silences McGregor with 10th round stoppage

By Steve Keating

tag-reuters.jpg

Aug 26, 2017; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. lands a hit against Conor McGregor during a boxing

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - A ruthless Floyd Mayweather scored a 10th round technical knockout over mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor on Saturday, the American cementing his legacy as an all-time boxing great with his 50th win in as many fights.

Mayweather, who had guaranteed an early finish to the 12 round contest, made good on his promise when he pinned a brave-but-limited McGregor on the ropes and mercilessly hammered the Irishman before referee Robert Byrd stepped in to halt the bout.

The fight, which Mayweather insisted would be his last, sends the 40-year-old into his second retirement with a unblemished 50-0 record to surpass heavyweight legend Rocky Marciano's 49-0 mark for most wins without a loss or draw.

"This was my last fight tonight. For sure," Mayweather declared in the ring. "Tonight was my last fight. Tonight I chose the right dance partner to dance with.

"Conor you are a hell of a champion.

"A win is a win, no matter how you get it. Rocky Marciano is a legend and I look forward to going into the Hall of Fame one day."

Whether the fight will be the richest of all-time as promoters had predicted will be decided later when pay-per-view numbers come in, but it certainly will not be included on any list of the great bouts in boxing.

On paper it would be hard to find a bigger mismatch, but it did not prevent millions around the globe from reaching for their wallets to purchase a pay-per-view package or the 14,623 spectators at T-Mobile Arena to part with big money for tickets.

In the end, the fight proved to be the one-sided contest many had predicted as Mayweather shook off the rust of two years of inactivity against an outclassed double UFC champion making his professional boxing debut.

FEW OPENINGS

For months, the charismatic McGregor had boasted he would knock out Mayweather and his legions of loyal fans believed every word of a man capable of backing his supreme self-confidence with devastating power inside the octagon.

However, McGregor's lack of ring savvy quickly exposed him as Mayweather clinically dissected the 29-year-old, who was soon reverting to his mixed martial arts roots -- clutching, grabbing and hitting his opponent repeatedly on the back of the head.

McGregor did come out full of fury and menace but Mayweather, long regarded as one of the finest defensive fighters in history, left few openings as he used the first three rounds to feel out his opponent.

Once he had studied McGregor's technique, Mayweather took complete control of the contest by the fourth round and started to land blow after blow on his easy target as the Irishman bravely battled on.

The American's domination was complete by the 10th round as he moved in for the kill to record his first early finish since he stopped Victor Ortiz in controversial fashion almost six years ago.

"I thought it was close," a defiant McGregor argued. "I thought I had him in the early rounds. I thought he was getting me in the middle toward the end.

"But where was the final two rounds? Let me wobble back to me corner. Let me try and recompose myself. You've got to put me out.

"I thought it was a little early of a stoppage. I get like that when I am tired. I get a little wobbly and flowy. But you got to give it to him, that's what 50 pro fights will give you."

(Reporting by Steve Keating; Editing by John O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-28

I just watched highlights and clips last night.  Not a boxing fan, or either one of these fighters, but I thought McGregor did well all things considered.  But in the end, Mayweather bested him with strategy and technique, and McGregor looks like he just ran out of gas.  

57 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I just watched highlights and clips last night.  Not a boxing fan, or either one of these fighters, but I thought McGregor did well all things considered.  But in the end, Mayweather bested him with strategy and technique, and McGregor looks like he just ran out of gas.  

I didn't see the entire fight, just clips of a few rounds.  But I have this lingering thought that Mayweather may have just played around with McGregor throughout, knowing he could have taken him out at anytime.  But by stretching the fight out to 10 rounds, he gave the fans their money's worth....at least in his mind.  McGregor didn't belong in the same ring with Mayweather, even though the latter is well past his prime.  Honestly, Mayweather should still be 49-0 as this fight doesn't qualify as a real fight.  But they both made huge money, so everyone's happy. 

Edited by Berkshire

34 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I didn't see the entire fight, just clips of a few rounds.  But I have this lingering thought that Mayweather may have just played around with McGregor throughout, knowing he could have taken him out at anytime.  But by stretching the fight out to 10 rounds, he gave the fans their money's worth....at least in his mind.  McGregor didn't belong in the same ring with Mayweather, even though the latter is well past his prime.  Honestly, Mayweather should still be 49-0 as this fight doesn't qualify as a real fight.  But they both made huge money, so everyone's happy. 

I bought the PPV and that's exactly how I saw it. Mayweather protected himself until round 7 or so then showed the Irishman what boxing was about. The commentators played up Connor's punches to make it seem more even but the judges had it all Money.

Although Mayweather won fair and square, somehow I can't help thinking that McGregor did the better job and came out the 'winner' :The rules 100% accommodated Floyd.It was clear that McGregor was not used to going 12 rounds, and lost  his focus completely towards the end.If they had allowed just a few elements from MMA-difficult to do of course-Mayweather would not have lasted 10 rounds, probably not even one.So for lasting that long ,McGregor is the winner in  my book.

It was pretty obvious from the start that Mayweather was a number of classes above McGregor.  He seemed to toy with him, then dispatched him at will.  McGregor tried his best and good on him for that, both men got even richer than they already are and good on them for that also.  If people around the world are stupid enough to waste their money on a non-fight then that's their choice.  Happily I watched it for free on Thai TV.  McGregor should get back to cage fighting, where there is no doubt he is a champion and Mayweather should return to retirement, permanently this time.  Two final points.  Firstly, it seems unfortunate that Mayweather beat Marciano's 49 - 0 record with such a fight and secondly, I'm glad I'll never have to step into a ring or a cage with either McGregor or Mayweather, or Marciano for that matter. 

Connor McGreggor - basically talked his way into a fight that many more experienced boxers could not get. Goaded Mayweather into coming out of retirement and made $75 Million in the progress and. He lost and came out smiling with barely a scratch on him. Absolutely pure genius!

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

10 rounds of boxing, both didn't have any scratch or blood anywhere. It sure was a nice dance party for both and a nice payday. Nothing to do with a fight, just a show to take a lot of money.

The non boxer at one point was bleeding from the mouth. As for letting them finish it out....that would only be to hear the ref count to ten.

I watched the whole fight. The first 3 rounds I thought went to McGregor.

The next three were also close but they went to Mayweather. From the

7 Mayweather really started to assert himself. What I don't know is if

Mayweather carried him the first 6 rounds. Fans would not have been

happy with a one sided 2-3 round fight.  

I feel so disgusted when I read about the amount of money that was involved in this fight......and in many other professional sports in general.

And, just think.....all around the world there are still hundreds of millions living in extreme poverty.....and of course many dying of famine and malnourishment.

Not a good world :(