Trump hopes government shutdown won't be necessary over wall funding

webfact

Trump hopes government shutdown won't be necessary over wall funding

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump holds a joint news conference with Finland's President Sauli Niinisto (not pictured) at the White House in Washington, U.S., August 28, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Monday he hoped a government shutdown would not be necessary over his demand that the U.S. Congress fund his proposed wall along the southern border with Mexico.

At a news conference with visiting Finnish President Sauli Niinisto, Trump also said Mexico may pay for the wall by reimbursement. Mexico has adamantly said it will not pay for the wall.

"One way or the other Mexico is going to pay for the wall," said Trump.

Trump also said he would probably need to terminate the North American Free Trade Agreement treaty to get what he considers a fair trade deal with U.S. economic partners Mexico and Canada.

"I believe that you will at least have to start the termination process before a fair deal can be arrived at," he said.

(Reporting By Steve Holland; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-29

It's already known this is all a ruse for his base.

In his last Mussolini style rally in Arizona he was forced to not mention "Mexico is going to pay for it" because of the leak of his talk with the Mexican leader basically saying it's all B.S. and he knows Mexico isn't going to pay for it, but he needs this red meat shouting point for his base. 

So this new pivot is only about trump being able to say that B.S. again.

It was "huge" in his campaign and he feels he needs to keep the fiction alive.

Sad. 

"I believe that you will at least have to start the termination process before a fair deal can be arrived at," he said.

With regard to NAFTA, this sounds like his repeal and replace.   They couldn't replace, so it just wanted it repealed.   Scrapping NAFTA is going to cause some major problems.   They might want to look at the situation with the UK and EU -- things tend to get vary sticky.    

Threatening to shut down Federal Government to try to blackmail Congress is the height of irresponsibility. I am sure they will approve the funding just as soon as Mexico confirms they will pay for it. (Never.)

As for threatening to walk out of NAFTA, he is going to find it very difficult as the other players know he is absolutely full of bullshit.

Is anyone else here tired of all his winning? I'm tired of all his whining.

Edited by darksidedog

On 8/29/2017 at 9:28 AM, darksidedog said:

Threatening to shut down Federal Government to try to blackmail Congress is the height of irresponsibility. I am sure they will approve the funding just as soon as Mexico confirms they will pay for it. (Never.)

As for threatening to walk out of NAFTA, he is going to find it very difficult as the other players know he is absolutely full of bullshit.

Is anyone else here tired of all his winning? I'm tired of all his whining.

what winnings? :cheesy: just whining like you said, its getting old. Americans will have to learn to adjust for the worse.

People who live in glass houses... As an American I support our president and the things he wants to do to help my country. I get really tired of non-Americans with governments that truly DO suck ragging on our president when the people they elected to run their own country suck on such a large scale.

I find it incredibly pathetic that that monkey in Canada and the cartel elected Mexican get a daily pass for stupidity and inaction while the droves attack President Trump for trying to run the US more like a business with a HUGE security force and less like a country that kisses butt.

I had to just shake my head while the minions on here supported the term racist over his calling a spade a spade after charlottesville or whatever when it was a white idiot that killed a white woman and the fight was between whites. Yet monkey see, monkey do as the whole of the Lamestreammedia and a few morons in DC glomed right on without even thinking about it.

Where's that big breaking story now? Just as dead as those who tried to push it into a story are going to find their careers soon.

Maybe some folks should pack up and move to France and help that mamby pamby apply his 26k euro make-up purchases or shift over to the UK and carry May's banner while she stumbles around trying to figure how to do a business deal without screwing the entire country. After 2 decades in office the only thing people can say about Putin is "Ukraine" and "Crimea".

NAFTA was a bad deal and the American people have had to bear the brunt of it because those that made it and those that followed but didn't understand it just let it ride hoping the next guy would fix it. Well, the next guy is here and is trying to fix it.

Alright, stalkers, flamers, and all those who are sure that they're 100% correct about everything have at it. Just don't drop any rocks and crack your own house.

19 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

People who live in glass houses... As an American I support our president and the things he wants to do to help my country. I get really tired of non-Americans with governments that truly DO suck ragging on our president when the people they elected to run their own country suck on such a large scale.

I find it incredibly pathetic that that monkey in Canada and the cartel elected Mexican get a daily pass for stupidity and inaction while the droves attack President Trump for trying to run the US more like a business with a HUGE security force and less like a country that kisses butt.

I had to just shake my head while the minions on here supported the term racist over his calling a spade a spade after charlottesville or whatever when it was a white idiot that killed a white woman and the fight was between whites. Yet monkey see, monkey do as the whole of the Lamestreammedia and a few morons in DC glomed right on without even thinking about it.

Where's that big breaking story now? Just as dead as those who tried to push it into a story are going to find their careers soon.

Maybe some folks should pack up and move to France and help that mamby pamby apply his 26k euro make-up purchases or shift over to the UK and carry May's banner while she stumbles around trying to figure how to do a business deal without screwing the entire country. After 2 decades in office the only thing people can say about Putin is "Ukraine" and "Crimea".

NAFTA was a bad deal and the American people have had to bear the brunt of it because those that made it and those that followed but didn't understand it just let it ride hoping the next guy would fix it. Well, the next guy is here and is trying to fix it.

Alright, stalkers, flamers, and all those who are sure that they're 100% correct about everything have at it. Just don't drop any rocks and crack your own house.

Since you cite being an American as the reason you support the current president, I must assume that you extended that same support to President Obama. Or did you just become a US citizen in the last 6 months?

I just love the way you whine about President Trump getting no respect while calling the Canada's premier a monkey. I think this kind of blindness is typical of Trump supporters.

And that's a brilliant set pf alternatives you offer: either a country kisses butt or it's run more like a business. Since we know that, for example, North Korea does not kiss butt, I guess it's your idea of a country run like a business. Hooray, North Korea!

And as for kissing butt, a certain president of a major nation has been blowing kisses at Putin's for the past few years. 

As for Nafta being bad, tell that to the farmers in Iowa and elsewhere. They stand to lose bigly. The consequences of Nafta are a lot more complicated than a simple good or bad.

And even before Hurricane Harvey, Texas was suffering from a severe shortage of construction workers thanks to the crackdown on undocumented immigrants who are a major source of workers. 

Of course, if Trump does hold the debt limit hostage to the wall, then there won't be the money to help aid Texas in its recovery. Which would be a kind of rough justice since virtually all the Texas Republicans in Congress voted against helping the eastern USA after Sandy.

Edited by ilostmypassword