Malaysian woman killed in taxi crash on tollway

snoop1130

Malaysian woman killed in taxi crash on tollway

By Kornkamon Aksorndech 
The Nation

625ebf7103d74a6703a340d0ed72087f.jpeg

Photo from: JS100

A 39-year-old Malaysian woman was killed when a taxi she had hailed lost control while driving on an elevated tollway and crashed into the roadside rail on Tuesday afternoon.

The impact sent Lee Ka Yin flying from the backseat through the back windshield and onto the road, where she was fatally run over by a car that couldn’t brake in time. 

Taxi driver Santi Pairoh, 71, was also injured. He had to be rescued from the wrecked taxi and was sent to Paolo Phaholyothin Hospital for treatment. 

The accident took place at 2pm on the inbound lane of the Utra Phimuk elevated tollway (Don Muang) heading towards Din Daeng. The crash caused a severe traffic jam in the area, as officers had to close the middle and right lanes for their investigation.

Initial investigations found that the taxi crashed onto the right rail before violently overturning, sending the passenger through the back window. Police will also question the taxi driver and check CCTV footage to determine the cause of the crash.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30325219

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-8-29

Very sad for the ladies family.

4 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Police will also question the taxi driver and check CCTV footage to determine the cause of the crash.

The cause of the crash was probably the fact that the 71 year old should NOT have been driving the taxi.

R.I.P.

16 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

RiP the woman......but as always, the seatbelts were likely useable in the rear.

No doubt at all that she would have survived had she been belted in!

16 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

RiP the woman......but as always, the seatbelts were likely useable in the rear.

No doubt at all that she would have survived had she been belted in!

Problem is most taxis dont have seat belts in the back, whenever i get into a taxi i check if seatbelts are good if not i get into another, no way will i not be belted in travelling around thailand.

As I am now mostly using Grab and Uber, it felt like a "back to the stone age" when I had to use a regular Cab (even a Grab-Taxi, ordered by a Grab counter at a BKK hospital).

The driver was so unprofessional and the distance on the Meter already read 1.2 km and 39 Baht when we started the ride. he said "Rot dtit maak maak" when I questioned him in Thai, I did not continue to argue as I was just glad I got a ride to where I needed to go.

I had MANY unpleasant and scary rides in the past ten years originating from Swampy, with several drivers clearly under the influence of amphetamines or almost falling asleep

1 hour ago, rodpav said:

Problem is most taxis dont have seat belts in the back, whenever i get into a taxi i check if seatbelts are good if not i get into another, no way will i not be belted in travelling around thailand.

That certainly used to be the case... however, as of the past 6 months I've found that the majority of Taxi's in Bangkok have fully functioning seatbelt in the rear seats. 

This, I believe, is in response to some harsh but not widely publicized penalties  for those Taxi's caught without functioning seatbelts in the rear. 

It surprised me that this is one 'crack down' which had any effect at all.

29 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

As I am now mostly using Grab and Uber, it felt like a "back to the stone age" when I had to use a regular Cab (even a Grab-Taxi, ordered by a Grab counter at a BKK hospital).

The driver was so unprofessional and the distance on the Meter already read 1.2 km and 39 Baht when we started the ride. he said "Rot dtit maak maak" when I questioned him in Thai, I did not continue to argue as I was just glad I got a ride to where I needed to go.

I had MANY unpleasant and scary rides in the past ten years originating from Swampy, with several drivers clearly under the influence of amphetamines or almost falling asleep

Indeed, the APPS such as UBER & GRAB have revolutionized Taxi's in Bangkok. The readily available report function, dual accountability (for driver and passenger) has made taking a taxi safer for both driver and passengers.... a win win... 

I use UBER & GRAB whenever possible, which of course is not always - its about 10% of the time now that I get a dodgy regular Taxi, but the majority of regular Taxi experiences still feel under serviced compared to UBER. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That certainly used to be the case... however, as of the past 6 months I've found that the majority of Taxi's in Bangkok have fully functioning seatbelt in the rear seats. 

This, I believe, is in response to some harsh but not widely publicized penalties  for those Taxi's caught without functioning seatbelts in the rear. 

It surprised me that this is one 'crack down' which had any effect at all.

Thats good, i always use PT taxi to and from Airport/Pattaya haven't used any local BKK taxis from the airport for years, i do remember everytime i did use them back in the day the taxis were total shitboxes with no seatbelts in the back.

3 hours ago, AGLV0121 said:

Ludicrous I am past 75 and in perfect shape, vision, abilities.

And I drive and never had an accident in my entire life.

I don;t care what state you are in.

This 71 year old man should NOT have been driving the taxi !

I thought they normally hid the belt buckles to allow passengers to slide in and out easily. I gladly give up this convenience for the chance to survive a crash. 

People don't realise that the impact forces can easily propel unbelted passengers through the windscreen, you can't hold on or hold children, although most Thais won't use car seats and still allow children to stand between the seats, stupid.

15 hours ago, siam2007 said:

Uber in Thailand? 

Tried to get a Taxi for my Visiting Family last night...  First one wanted 250 baht, second one accepted the ride, my family got in, the driver then refused to put the meter on, I was still holding the door open... 

I asked the driver a second time to put the meter on, he told me to close the door first !!!!

I got my family out of that taxi and called GRAB, which I should have done from the onset..

<deleted> taxi's... they have a way of nearly ruining a good evening... 

We were taxi'ing around a lot yesterday, we did use one taxi which had no rear seat-belts...

They were honest though, no meter issues, the taxi's were queueing in front of Policeman at the end of KS rd !... 

On 8/30/2017 at 6:15 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

The last two times I have taken a taxi from the airport, the driver insisted we belted up in the back.  A shame they don't all do this.

Normally they dont insist until they are approaching a police checkpoint, in which the driver quickly insists everyone has their seatbelt on.