Speed traps in Khon Kaen

jackdd

I recently passed Khon Kaen, and saw all the the signs about the 80km/h limit being enforced by speed traps, and even signs about helmet usage on motorbikes being watched by cameras.

There were still alot of people going way above 100km/h and people without helmets. So did they just buy like 1000 signs to scare people or are there actually speed traps / cameras?

We recently had a thread about speed traps in Khon Kaen which at least proofed that speed measurement works :biggrin:

As above: dozens and dozens of cameras.

Yesterday I also experienced some "don't care" drivers.

No idea whether they are simply stupid/on drugs, (son of) big boss/untouchable, pockets full of money ...

Have been picked up by a speed camera, not in Khon Kaen, but a much less developed area. Mrs got the photo/fine in the mail. I have no doubt the ones in Khon Kaen work as the city is much more developed than many places that have working cameras. They make me slow down when I am there anyway. 

As for the crazy drivers, if they fall victim to a speed trap within the region of their family members jurisdiction, they can get off quite easily. If another region, not so easy. So many 'locals' may drive like that for those reasons. Also, a lot of the time the camera only capture one particular lane. The camera I got done for (not in KK) I have since been told all I have to do is drive in the other lane.

I've been  done 3x in KK - not for speed but for late across an intersection with the light going from yellow to red. Takes 2-3  months before the notice gets to my mother-in-law's mailbox. Better to pay the fine [usually with discount] than get rear-ended by the high speed crazy behind me,

13 minutes ago, khunbillmex said:

I've been  done 3x in KK - not for speed but for late across an intersection with the light going from yellow to red. Takes 2-3  months before the notice gets to my mother-in-law's mailbox. Better to pay the fine [usually with discount] than get rear-ended by the high speed crazy behind me,

ah that was his excuse as well

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Driving in Thailand is risky. Driving over the speed limit in Thailand is stupid.

Yep, that's what some Thai drivers have in mind when they stop in the left lane and get out of the car to buy  road stall item, causing immense dangerous dangerous situations....Mitrapap road  KK-Udon   regular stoppage time for some, not in the safe lane, that causes incoming traffic to get around them and effectively drive on a highway opposite of the incoming traffic, no ON the left lane!

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

We recently had a thread about speed traps in Khon Kaen which at least proofed that speed measurement works :biggrin:

As above: dozens and dozens of cameras.

Yesterday I also experienced some "don't care" drivers.

No idea whether they are simply stupid/on drugs, (son of) big boss/untouchable, pockets full of money ...

Scofflaws........

Here in Lamphun on Highway 11 they put up those signs awhile back.  But they only had one place on the road where they would run a radar gun.  However, that changed this week.  I saw radar gun/cameras in two different locations a couple of days ago where in 10 years I've never seen them before.  So my guess is - give it time - they are probably coming.  Personally I don't care.  I'm one of the small minority who actually drives within the post speed limits.  

I don't have to worry about Speed Traps, as My Mrs. does all the driving now and she never speeds. If the sign says 80, she will go 70 or 65. The only time I ever see her pass anyone on the Highway, is a fully loaded Sugar Cane Truck, a Motorbike, or a Tuk-tuk. Or some Old Guy on his Bicycle.

Makes for a longer trip but with a few cold beers in hand, not all unpleasant.  I would sooner do that and look around than drive here. The best investment I ever made here was to send my wife to Driver Training School for a week, so she could get her Thai Driver's License. 

16 hours ago, khunbillmex said:

Better to pay the fine [usually with discount] than get rear-ended by the high speed crazy behind me,

Next time your looking in your rear-view mirror as you steam through on a red, watch out for the green-light jumper t-boning you.

Had my first experience of speed cameras on the UK Motorways years ago now, couldn't figure out what all the flashing was, turned out it was the cameras taking my selfie, one after the other... They eventually found me in Canada. Grrr. :stoner:Multiple infractions.