Thailand set to host MotoGP in 2018

snoop1130

20 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yeh, and there's a flying pig. They can't even enforce existing helmet laws let alone proper riding techniques and road awareness. 

Seriously, if you cannot see the irresponsibility in hosting such an event in Thailand then you need to sit down and think about it for a bit. 

The country with the most motorcycle accidents and fatalities in the World. 

There's no more need to be said really. 

Thailand have hosted a round of the World Superbike Series for the last three years, do you have any proof that hosting that motorcycle event led to more deaths on the road in Thailand?

If not, why do you think the MotoGP will be any different?

• Like 1

That's a monster. The front brake must have had some work to do on that. How do you get something like that over and back up again on a bend? It would be like fighting five silver backs.

Would love to try it but at my age I would need training wheels fitted. [emoji32][emoji32]

My VW beetle wouldn't go round corners very well either- at least not until I put sack of cement in the boot...

23 hours ago, JAG said:

Oh I'm not frightened of motorcycles. I have been riding them since 1977, and both in the United Kingdom, and throughout Europe.

I'm just convinced that here riding  one here (other perhaps than local pottering on my little Yamaha) is simply far too dangerous.

I got you by a few years - started riding motorbikes (legally) in 1972. Before that it was with a few mates on an old Postie step-through on a mate's farm where we would ride around a 'track' until they broke or we had enough (late 60s). Been there done that on a bike, have rode most things (even a Harley and a Goldwing) - been around Phillip Island, Oran Park, Eastern Creek, Amaroo Park and even did some 'laps' around Parramatta Park 'Racetrack' - where the Grand Prix was held for several years in the 50s. I used to be quite fast, and I have had a few stacks - nothing too serious, but I know the value of helmets gloves boots and leathers.  

But just like you, I decided there was no way I would ride on the roads in Thailand. I even brought my summer jacket, gloves, helmet, jeans, and boots with me. 

The only way I would use a bike here is for short trips to pop over to the local shop/friends. Eg. When I visit the LPGA golf in Pattaya I hire a bike to take us the 2kms from hotel to the Course (saves the 400 baht each-way ripoff) And that is the longest I ever ride a bike here.  There is no way I would use a bike as regular means of transport on busy roads here - I am too old/slow, my reflexes aint so good, and I dont bounce anymore, and there are pharking lunatics drunks druggos and nutters in cars, trucks and vans everywhere here.  Number 1 in world, by a long long long way, for motorbike deaths.  I decided the positives are far far outweighed by the negatives. You only have to search the web to see vids of what happens here - all day every day - and worse at night.

The risk is way too high and I strongly recommend to anyone thinking of using a bike as their main means of transport in Thailand, to think again - to think long and slow about it. But if you must, then  wear protective gear - minimum of helmet, boots and gloves and at least a reasonable jacket. You can buy (not in Thailand) very good hot weather motorbike gear these days - at least do that.  If that is too hot for you, then get a car with a/c.

Edited by ELVIS123456
typo

^ I road raced bikes for years and wouldn't think of riding one on the streets of Thailand.  Walking is dangerous enough, especially with bikes riding by you on the sidewalk.  Totally bonkers.
Not sure how road racing bikes has any relevance to riding bikes in the everyday scenario, no other road users and all pointing the same way. Riding a bike safely has to do with other user awareness, road conditions, traffic conditions and many more factors. None of which road racing bikes has any help in dealing with
I could be ill informed though?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

^ I road raced bikes for years and wouldn't think of riding one on the streets of Thailand.  Walking is dangerous enough, especially with bikes riding by you on the sidewalk.  Totally bonkers.

Yeah. I know a guy who raced motorcycles for years and never got a street license. Knew he would kill himself.

Doesn't matter how good a rider you are, on the street it's just a matter of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/1/2017 at 7:05 PM, EvenSteven said:

Therefore, it must be true!

Btw, Rossi, who has always had top equipment, doesn't have to go, if he finds it boring.  After all, he's long over due for retirement.

Hero worshiping free zone.

I would love to hear what top-racers like Rossi think of Buriram and the hotel he had to stay in. Those guys mostly are rich and want everything the best, i guess they even bring their own chef and food.

Yeah. I know a guy who raced motorcycles for years and never got a street license. Knew he would kill himself.

Doesn't matter how good a rider you are, on the street it's just a matter of luck.

"Knew he would kill himself" pretty much contradicts the whole essence of what you are trying to say dont you think?

Great news, I'll definitely go and see this. I went to Buriram a couple of months ago, it's one of the few places in Issan that I think I could live. Decent bars and restaurants, bit of nightlife, local footy team, MotoGP race track. Pretty cool place.

"Knew he would kill himself" pretty much contradicts the whole essence of what you are trying to say dont you think?

No.

Once was riding behind a guy who hit a horse. He did a complete endo. The police didn't believe he'd hit a horse until they picked a piece of it's hind end out of the front of his bike. Lost 70% use of his left arm.

The other guy only rode on the track and in the dirt. You can't go fast unless you're in a controlled environment.

On 02/09/2017 at 11:20 AM, electric said:

Hosting MotoGP for the next 3 years is a huge achievement for Thailand, for a paltry outlay of 3 million baht. Commercial and TV sponsorship will pay for the considerable outlay to actually run the weekend.

Dorna Sports are the MotoGP and World Super Bike franchise owners, and it is they that selected Thailand. Buriram already has hosted World SBK for the past 2 years, so Dorna knows perfectly well the capability of Buriram Circuit to host MotoGP.

I'm not particularly a MotoGP fan, but I recognise the positive implications for the successful hosting of such a huge event.

Yes, it's in the boonies of Isaan, but die-hard fans will easily find a way to get there. The teams ? ....... it's just another part of their global travel.

BKK to Mueang Buriram is 8 lane highway for 260 km, then another 160 km of 4 lane highway right to the gates of the circuit. Buriram Airport is 35km away, and can handle 200 seat jet aircraft.

Accommodation and infrastructure development in Buriram has been nothing short of astonishing in the past 5 years.

Personally, I hope the Thai MotoGP is a wonderful success for all concerned.

Love you're post electric but the figures you mention that Thailand will pay for the right to hold these events don't sound right .. Each country pays a different amount to Dorna to stage Motogp but as an example Silverstone that hosts the British round pays in the region of 8 million pounds and Dorna also keep the TV rights which they then sell to various broadcasters.. The money the hosts make comes from entrance fee's , merchandise , catering and hospitality etc .. And a number of hosts for these events have said it is very difficult to make money out of them ( British , German , Malaysian ) which may be why the Thai Govt is willing to find 20% of the cost .. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2017 at 1:58 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

You think monkey see, monkey do doesn't apply here? :blink:

You are posting from a purely self-serving and selfish point of view, because you like bike racing and want to see it in Thailand, without contemplating the bigger picture or the consequences of hosting and promoting such an event.

This will increase the numbers of motorbike accidents and fatalities guaranteed.

In fact I would go so far as to say this is irresponsibility unparalleled in Thailand, as one of the major problems they have is road accident fatalities involving bikes. 

read the first lines of the post Father...  show me the figures you apparently know and then we'll talk...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...