Thailand mulls high speed rail link - Pattaya - Suvarnabhumi - Don Meuang

snoop1130

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Talking of nuclear power, didn't they plan, a few years ago, to build a nuclear power plant near Pattaya?

What an excellent location. Reactors 1234 at the end of walking street. What happened was it scrapped.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, maxpower said:

What an excellent location. Reactors 1234 at the end of walking street. What happened was it scrapped.

Well, I googled it. I have to correct myself: it was planned near Sattahip (so people in Pattaya will be "safe" if things go wrong; at the worst they'll be able to glow and find their way at night) in 2007:

Naval base proposed as site for nuclear plant
APINYA WIPATAYOTIN

The armed forces have offered a naval base in Chon Buri as a possible site for a nuclear power plant if other sites face opposition, a source said.

The military's proposal could help the project along, although the government has yet to finalise a decision on whether to build such a plant.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont recently dusted off the plan, suspended for more than 20 years, citing the need for energy security.

The government considers Ranong, Chumphon and Surat Thani as the best sites, as they are close to the sea. The station needs water to cool its reactors.

The government has drawn up plans for a nuclear plant that could generate 4,000 megawatts by 2021.

The source said the naval base in Sattahip district fitted the conditions required for such a plant.

''Geographically, the Sattahip navy base is suitable as the water there is deep and it is remote from the local community,'' a source said.

Science and Technology Minister Yongyuth Yutthawong refused to react to the armed forces' offer, saying he had not been consulted.

''I can't say whether it is true or not. What I can say right now is that no decision has been made on the site. We need more time,'' he said.

He added that the ministry has been waiting for the government to approve a 10-million-baht budget to educate people about nuclear energy, and hold public hearings.

''We can't construct the plant without public support,'' he said.

Construction of the plant would take five years to complete and a decision on where to build it could be reached by October.

Korb Krittayakeeron, a former National Science and Technology Development Agency official, is chairman of a committee on the feasibility of the plant, with six sub-committees also looking at the issue.

Bangkok Post
Edited by StayinThailand2much

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, I googled it. I have to correct myself: it was planned near Sattahip (so people in Pattaya will be "safe" if things go wrong; at the worst they'll be able to glow and find their way at night) in 2007:

Naval base proposed as site for nuclear plant
APINYA WIPATAYOTIN

The armed forces have offered a naval base in Chon Buri as a possible site for a nuclear power plant if other sites face opposition, a source said.

The military's proposal could help the project along, although the government has yet to finalise a decision on whether to build such a plant.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont recently dusted off the plan, suspended for more than 20 years, citing the need for energy security.

The government considers Ranong, Chumphon and Surat Thani as the best sites, as they are close to the sea. The station needs water to cool its reactors.

The government has drawn up plans for a nuclear plant that could generate 4,000 megawatts by 2021.

The source said the naval base in Sattahip district fitted the conditions required for such a plant.

''Geographically, the Sattahip navy base is suitable as the water there is deep and it is remote from the local community,'' a source said.

Science and Technology Minister Yongyuth Yutthawong refused to react to the armed forces' offer, saying he had not been consulted.

''I can't say whether it is true or not. What I can say right now is that no decision has been made on the site. We need more time,'' he said.

He added that the ministry has been waiting for the government to approve a 10-million-baht budget to educate people about nuclear energy, and hold public hearings.

''We can't construct the plant without public support,'' he said.

Construction of the plant would take five years to complete and a decision on where to build it could be reached by October.

Korb Krittayakeeron, a former National Science and Technology Development Agency official, is chairman of a committee on the feasibility of the plant, with six sub-committees also looking at the issue.

Bangkok Post

Doubt it needs  "salt water" for  cooling, more  like for emergency "cock-ups"

23 hours ago, HOAX said:

Maybe even have an express route from Suvarnabhumi to Isaan with go-go-train.

A Go Go train. - Brilliant idea
5 first class sleeping wagons with seperate bathrooms, 3 dancing wagons, 1 restaurant and 1 barwagon with separetes.
Overnight and should not be highspeed.
Where the train drives, doesn´t matter.
Would certainly always fully booked.

Perhaps also a medical-coach, for people who over-exert themselves (dancing, of course I meant dancing !), and the route should include plenty of points, for extra vibration en-route !  Rock and Roll ! :biggrin:

But what to call the train  ...  'The Nookie Express' ?  :whistling:  or  'One-to-Definitely-Go-Go' ? :cool:

If they couldn't make the ARL a success (the "express" version), I'm not sure how another one that ties in Don Meuang and Pattaya is necessarily a guaranteed success either.  And ten stations between Bangkok and Rayong sounds like a lot of stops (and a lot of station infrastructure work) for a "high-speed" link.   But it would be nice!   Maybe it's what the ARL should have been to begin with.