Removing scratches from car paint

madmax2

I had a deep scratch on the side of my pickup which i got when driving down a overgrown track in the rainforest

I tried several different scratch removing products and took the vehicle to a car detailer and nothing or no one could remove the main scratch

My Son In Law who has a minivan/ bus brought me a sample of a commercial cleaning product called Eco Lab Lemon-Eze which they use on their vans to remove scratches, its a amazing product, removed the minor scratches with one application and the deep scratch in the clear coat finish with 4 applications, it's not manufactured to do this but it really works well

Its toxic it seems by reading about it on the Internet and you must wear gloves and avoid breathing the fumes etc

If nothing else has worked for you when trying to remove paint scratches give it a try, you may be able to get a sample from a hotel/resort as they use it for cleaning bathrooms etc, that's where the sample i used came from 

6 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Has anyone tried this scratch removing pen, and does it work

Personally i do not believe a lot of claims posted on the internet, only personal recommendations 

I product i recommended does work well, i have used it

Tried it and no it didn't work

7 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Has anyone tried this scratch removing pen, and does it work

Personally i do not believe a lot of claims posted on the internet, only personal recommendations 

I product i recommended does work well, i have used it

The scratch remover from Simoniz is total rubbish! Usually it is only for covering (making worse) your clearcoat - i.e. it has no colour.

You apply it with the pen, it is anything but invisible, you can see it clearly on your paintwork. Horrible!

Then it is UV curing, so the panel you touched up needs to be in reasonable sunlight - and it can take 24 Hours to cure - in which time you will have accumulated dust, grit and flies etc. all sticking to your new touch up.

I tried it a couple of times, believe me, live with the scratches this stuff is garbage.

14 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

The scratch remover from Simoniz is total rubbish! Usually it is only for covering (making worse) your clearcoat - i.e. it has no colour.

You apply it with the pen, it is anything but invisible, you can see it clearly on your paintwork. Horrible!

Then it is UV curing, so the panel you touched up needs to be in reasonable sunlight - and it can take 24 Hours to cure - in which time you will have accumulated dust, grit and flies etc. all sticking to your new touch up.

I tried it a couple of times, believe me, live with the scratches this stuff is garbage.

I hope you didn't cut the tip off and squeezed the tube...laugh.gif.df3dc615f795b18f57f1bdfbdaaf9cb3.gif

The pens are total crap and in time make your scratch worse. I tried one years ago when they first came out in UK, on my bloody Merc as well lol... I was amazed at first, put the pen on and it disappeared??? So there I go all round the car finding marks/scratches and using this new found miracle cure ha ha ha... give it a few days and wait until it has oxidised in sunlight, it will look a right mess..., I got a mate to give the car a pass with a compound and mop, car looked like new. If a good detailer can not remove it then you need a body shop and paint repair - period.

I use a Thai product of which I have no idea what it is called as its name is written in Thai.

I purchased it from Tesco/Lotus based on my wife's research when our new car got a fair bit of bitumen on its lower side as they were laying the stuff on the road and we drove through at slow speed, no choice, that and I knew I had a couple of minor scratches around the car from the odd overgrown bush and the kids school bags brushing against the doors, as much as I yell at them to keep their bags away from the car in their sleepy state of a morning.

I have no idea if it works on deeper scratches, but for smaller scratches and removing of bitumen, can swear by it, cost me about 70 baht if I recall correctly, although was hard to find, but found it in the dog food isle if that helps.

When it sits for a while the watery like substance lifts to the top like an oil, I gave it a few shakes before I took the photo to post and you apply a small amount like the size of 5 or 10 baht and rub it in gently with a cloth, give it a minute and then remove it with a white cloth, its a bit like applying a car polish if you like. 

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I use a Thai product of which I have no idea what it is called as its name is written in Thai.

I purchased it from Tesco/Lotus based on my wife's research when our new car got a fair bit of bitumen on its lower side as they were laying the stuff on the road and we drove through at slow speed, no choice, that and I knew I had a couple of minor scratches around the car from the odd overgrown bush and the kids school bags brushing against the doors, as much as I yell at them to keep their bags away from the car in their sleepy state of a morning.

I have no idea if it works on deeper scratches, but for smaller scratches and removing of bitumen, can swear by it, cost me about 70 baht if I recall correctly, although was hard to find, but found it in the dog food isle if that helps.

When it sits for a while the watery like substance lifts to the top like an oil, I gave it a few shakes before I took the photo to post and you apply a small amount like the size of 5 or 10 baht and rub it in gently with a cloth, give it a minute and then remove it with a white cloth, its a bit like applying a car polish if you like. 

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

No idea what its called?  Seems pretty obvious to me after reading the label in english

10 hours ago, tryasimight said:

No idea what its called?  Seems pretty obvious to me after reading the label in english

What you red in English was what it is used for, i.e. Multi Purpose Cleaner, but the name of the product is in Thai, hence the reason I stated that I didn't know what it was called, that my friend is "obvious"

13 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

It may be junk but someone is going to make a lot if money from it

only if people buy the product.....I think best to go to a body shop....might cost more money but a better job will be done

I use TP motors on Sukhumvit...virtually opposite Cholchan

11 minutes ago, garbolino said:

only if people buy the product.....I think best to go to a body shop....might cost more money but a better job will be done

Totally agree with you but a lot of people will buy it for sure

There are a zillion vids on youtube regarding the pen, fortunately there are a few home vids where they used the thing properly and it did the job. I watched one vid where these two plums trashed it but they themselves caused the problem, l reckon on purpose..

To be frank, if you can feel a defined 'click' when you run your fingernail over it, chances are the scratch won't polish out.

You may decide that the scratch does not feel that defined and attempt to polish it out with fine abrasive paste.

If you do, you may risk removing the protect clear coat on that patch. Which then exposes the colour coat and a definite patch will be evident. making thing worse.

These 'scratch removing pens' don't remove or fill the scratch, they just mimic the clear coat by hiding the damaged.

The only way to remove scratches you can feel, would be to have damage professionally prepared and refinished.

4 hours ago, jkinbkk said:

To be frank, if you can feel a defined 'click' when you run your fingernail over it, chances are the scratch won't polish out.

You may decide that the scratch does not feel that defined and attempt to polish it out with fine abrasive paste.

If you do, you may risk removing the protect clear coat on that patch. Which then exposes the colour coat and a definite patch will be evident. making thing worse.

These 'scratch removing pens' don't remove or fill the scratch, they just mimic the clear coat by hiding the damaged.

The only way to remove scratches you can feel, would be to have damage professionally prepared and refinished.

Yore first sentence just about covers it. If a detailer can't get it out it's more than likely because he knows that it's too deep and too risky.

Trans WD40 will hide it for a short time ... until it rains! If the car is yellow then try Birds Custard Powder ... but a floor cleaner ................

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Yore first sentence just about covers it. If a detailer can't get it out it's more than likely because he knows that it's too deep and too risky.

Trans WD40 will hide it for a short time ... until it rains! If the car is yellow then try Birds Custard Powder ... but a floor cleaner ................

That's right, a floor cleaner, if you do not try it you will never know will you

It worked really well on a Toyota hilux with its high quality paint, the deep scratch completely disappeared, also removed deep scratches on a toyota commuters rear bumper

I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, do you know that old saying,  are you prepared to do the same??? :stoner:

44 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

That's right, a floor cleaner, if you do not try it you will never know will you

It worked really well on a Toyota hilux with its high quality paint, the deep scratch completely disappeared, also removed deep scratches on a toyota commuters rear bumper

I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, do you know that old saying,  are you prepared to do the same??? :stoner:

MM ...I looked the stuff up and it appears to be a slightly abrasive cleaner. So on that front one would expect that it acts the same as wet sanding/compounding/polishing  etc. depending on how you applied it.

Now if it moves the clear coat into the damaged area and the clear coat stays there ... wow.

Scratches show in the clear coat because the light reflects at different angles from them compared to a 'flat' surface. That's why scratches disappear when you look at them from certain angles ... but I expect you know that ...................... 

You didn't say how you applied it ... cloth/sponge/orbital sander etc.

I am puzzled what the reason was as to why a 'detailer' couldn't sort it for you though...  I can hazard a guess...

Does that area now 'shine' more than the rest. That is the risk when attempting to remove any scratch , especially a deep one ...:smile:

10 hours ago, garbolino said:

What kind of work have you done there ? And for how much ? Long queue ? Thank you.

OK lets sort things out with the people who think they are members of the purple circle on the Internet and this forum

The product (Eco Lab Lemon-eze) was recommended to me and applied to my vehicle by my SinL who owns and operates a toyota commuter van/ minibus along with another 14 owner drivers from a rank operated from a resort in Phuket

The product is not a floor cleaner as claimed by the purple circle member, its a bathroom cleaner used to remove stains/ blemishes/scratches etc from baths and hand basins etc and return their appearance to as new

All 15 owner drivers use the product with great success to remove scratches and blemishes from the vehicles paintwork, its also good for removing road tar from the paint

The Simoniz product recommend by another member of the purple circle obviously does not work and he has never tried it personally himself, other people have and say it's rubbish

I have tried other scratch removing products and they did not work,i also had a car detailer try to remove the scratch, the next stop would have been a panel and paint shop if the scratch had not been successfully removed by Lemon-Eze

I have no financial interest in this product and i do not own a car detailing business promoting expensive products to use and apply to your vehicle

The scratch that was on the side of my vehicle has disappeared, the vehicle has been repolished and there is no difference in the paint shine or colour 

If you have scratches or blemishes on your vehicle which you have been unable to remove i recommend you try the product, its not expensive, and gives a excellent result you will be as happy as i am with the product, and save yourself a lot of money by not paying someone else to do it

As a afterthought it was applied by hand on a polishing sponge, no expensive polishing equipment reuired

Any scratch you start with the most mild polish you have first (toothpaste can be used also, especially on faded/clouded plastic headlamp lenses) then may be a mild colour restorer, then compounds. If you do not know what your doing is best left to a Pro TBH.

Fine marks, light scratches and swirls can be polished out but anything deep (as said if you can catch your fingernail on it is deep) then they can only be camouflaged to an extent, only repair is a proper paint repair and finish.

2 hours ago, Lokie said:

Any scratch you start with the most mild polish you have first (toothpaste can be used also, especially on faded/clouded plastic headlamp lenses) then may be a mild colour restorer, then compounds. If you do not know what your doing is best left to a Pro TBH.

Fine marks, light scratches and swirls can be polished out but anything deep (as said if you can catch your fingernail on it is deep) then they can only be camouflaged to an extent, only repair is a proper paint repair and finish.

If you ever get the opportunity you can try the product yourself to find out if you are right or wrong 

Repeating what you have read on a Internet site does not make you right about anything, usually wrong actually, only personal experience from using a product does, and you have not used it and are speculating about the results after it is used

Just like chatting up bar girls/free lancers in Phuket town who are not bar girls but nurses, doctors, lawyers etc because they told you so and it must it be true:smile:

I will not waste my time anymore informing people about products that are easy to use and work on this forum, i will leave it to people like you who do not have a clue but like to troll around forums so you can disagree with people when you have no real knowledge about the subject

Have a nice day 

Archived