Ways To Get To Immigration Bureau

Most of my previous visits to the Thai Immigration Bureau on Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, have been by cab from the train station.

This time, I'll be coming from Don Muang Airport. My guess is I'm better off taking a cab to the sky train than straight to the bureau. If so, which sky train stop would be best to request when I catch a cab at the air port? I think Mo Chit is best (no point in going to the subway to ride one stop, right?).

But maybe I'm wrong. Just because Mo Chit looks closest on a map, a flyover project or something else might cause long delays.

I'm also not sure which train stop is closest to the bureau. Last time I went to Saphan Taksin, but ended up going to Sala Daeng.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

UC

Most of my previous visits to the Thai Immigration Bureau on Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, have been by cab from the train station.

This time, I'll be coming from Don Muang Airport. My guess is I'm better off taking a cab to the sky train than straight to the bureau. If so, which sky train stop would be best to request when I catch a cab at the air port? I think Mo Chit is best (no point in going to the subway to ride one stop, right?).

But maybe I'm wrong. Just because Mo Chit looks closest on a map, a flyover project or something else might cause long delays.

I'm also not sure which train stop is closest to the bureau. Last time I went to Saphan Taksin, but ended up going to Sala Daeng.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

UC

UC, I am assuming that as you are comming from Don Muang Airport, you will have some baggage with you. Why not Meter Taxi it from Airport to the Thai Immigration Bureau. Total cost including Tolls would have to be under 300bht. And NO dramas with lugging bags on and off Airtrain Stations. Sala Daeng is the closest Airtrain Station to Immigration. But even without a bag, its still a bit of a hike. :o So its basically, either one Taxi ride V's Taxi to Mo Chit..Airtrain to Siam..change to other line...Airtrain to Sala Daeng...Taxi or Tuk-Tuk to Immigration office. :D:D

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I'm considering the cost of cabbing straight to the bureau.

I'm travelling light this time (just a small back pack), so luggage isn't an issue.

If the cost was only 300, it might be worth it. Not sure about the time, though. I've been warned that it might take a while to take a cab straight to Immigration.

I could use a clue to finding Immigration on the Bangkok map, by the way!

The way I did it from Don Meuang Domestic was go out the airport and catch the 136 bus on the main road. Just about every bus goes to the BTS station at Mor Chit. You have a choice of air, non-air. Take the BTS to Sala Daeng and get off the left hand side. I took a motorbike to the immigration.

If you do use Sala Daeng station and walk from there don't rely on the map Lop has posted. The station is actually on Narathiwat Rd.

That is BTS Chognonsi station. From there you can take the taxi southbound (same direction as the BTS you were riding) on Narathiwat Rd., turn left at Soi Arkhansongkhao (no traffic light there so it's easy to miss this soi, many pubs around here) after crossing Sathorn intersection and keep going till you hit the post office straight ahead where the street turns 90 degrees left. You'll find the Suanphulu Immigration next to the post office. About the same distance as it is from BTS Saladaeng station, I believe.

If you are taking cab straight from the airport, take first stage expressway at Din Daeng and change to Dao Khanong expressway westbound at whatever the name of the junction it is after passing Rama 4 ramp, exit at Rama 3 ramp (1st ramp after the junction) and quickly shift to far right lane immediately after exiting the ramp. Right turn there at the first signal (Nanglinchee Rd.) and keep going straight till you hit the T intersection, right turn there and you'll find the post office straight ahead at the corner almost immediately.

Edited by Nordlys

Compared lop's posted map (thanks, Lop) to this one:

http://www.into-asia.com/bangkok/maps/lumphini.php

It shows Soi Suan Phlu, which is the one listed as part of the official address.

I'd probably take a taxi-metre instead of a motorcycle taxi. I've come close, but never felt motivated enough to try to negotiate a ride with motorci cons. :o

Thanks for the bus pointer, Neeranam. I took a bus from the airport itself once, don't remember the cost.

My wife and I discovered a little trick with cabs. Intead of paying to take one right outside the arrival terminal, we walk out to the road (saying 'no' to the envitable cabbie who swings around to ask us if we want a lift - to do so takes you back into the airport) and catch a cab there.

What's the cost of bus 136 to Mor Chit? Of course, from the bus terminal its a hike to the sky train, right? Or a cab ride. :D

If you are taking cab straight from the airport, take first stage expressway at Din Daeng and change to Dao Khanong expressway westbound at whatever the name of the junction it is after passing Rama 4 ramp, exit at Rama 3 ramp (1st ramp after the junction) and quickly shift to far right lane immediately after exiting the ramp.  Right turn there at the first signal (Nanglinchee Rd.) and keep going straight till you hit the T intersection, right turn there and you'll find the post office straight ahead at the corner almost immediately.

Upcountry.

Tip. Print this out and hand it to the taxi driver :o

Thanks, "Seen",

So, I take it that there is not real time penalty to taking a cab straight to ImmBureau. :o

Certainly, a cab to the train, switch at Siam, to Sala Daeng, and another cab is a time-consuming hassle.

But then, getting a cab from the airport to a hotel near the British Embassy has been a pain sometimes (missed exits, long detours, etc.).

So, assuming the cabbie can read at least five words of Nordlys' directions, handing him some semblance of them may help. :D

So, assuming the cabbie can read at least five words of Nordlys' directions, handing him some semblance of them may help.  :o

Or you can exit first stage expressway at Rama 4, turn right there and left at Sathorn (first traffic signal, opposite Lumpini Night Bazaar), and left again at Suanphlu, if that's easier for you. I just happen to live 5 minutes from Suanphlu Immigration and find it easier and faster to get to my condo from my work (passing the airport everyday) by the direction given above, but maybe that's because I commute in rush hour and tend to avoid Rama 4 where the traffic can get jam-packed.

Here's the map I mentioned earlier seems hard to open- at least in a tab on Firefox. Shoulda posted this question earlier. It's interesting to get different views, and obvious now that there is no really perfiect choice.

I can choose between cabbing directly to the bureau or to the Mo Chit station. I can choose between Sala Daeng and Chog Nonsi.

Well, Ill get there one way or another!

Thanks, again!

UC

post-6268-1130859410_thumb.jpg

I ended up asking a cab driver to take me to the Phahon Yothin subway stop (double checked with airport information that it was a good choice - asking them was not such a good choice :o ).

The cabbie took me to the Mo Chit subway/skytrain interchange instead. He probably did me a favor in terms of local traffic.

From Lumphini, it was easy to get to the bureau.