ADMISSION AND TRANSIT RESTRICTIONS: The government of

Thailand:

1. may refuse admission to visitors:

- of hippy appearance with long, untidy and dirty

looking hair,

- dressed in an offensive manner, e.g. only singlet or

waistcoat, shorts, silk pants, slippers or rubber/wooden

sandals, unless part of a national costume;

Singapore has been doing the same thing for many years now and after all why should Thailand not fix its own entry requirements.

From this website:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

Thailand:

looking hair,

Are you describing how Thai men use to dress? If yes you forget the towel around the lowest of their body (from butt to knees, I simply forgot what word is it in english).

From this website:

Thailand:

so basically, most of the tourists walking around Sukhumvit and Pattaya.... :o

From this website:

Thailand:

looking hair,

I'm a little suprised that shorts are on the list, considering the Thai climate - some shorts are very smart. Still, I presume that one's general appearence is what's important when going through or dealing with Immigration - showing some respect is never a bad idea. :o:D

Should have mentioned that the website in the OP will give you all the entry requirements for all nationalities to all countries.

It will tell you how long the passport must be valid for, if you need return ticket how long you can stay, visa requirements..... I guess the airlines use this to determin if they will let you check-in.

For official purposes in Thailand, clothes can be "respectful" or "disrespectful" regardless of how you behave otherwise.

If you're a didge-playing fishermans pants kind of person, you might want to dress more "normal" for your air travels and immigration visits, just in case. You can always change in the arrival hall restroom if you find normal clothes cramp your style. :o

The "you are allowed to refuse hippies" text that shows up on the screen of check in staff at airports, has been there for some time now. I first heard about it from a friend who works at the checkin counter of an international airport 6 years ago.

The term 'hippy' is a cultural anachronism. There are many more that bare the appearance then live the life style nowdays. I think? I used to look like a hippy and even called a hippy in my colleage days but didn't feel like a hippy. :o

Years ago, long haired hippies arriving in Singapore were given the choice of either a haircut or the first available international flight out. Those who opted for the flight had their passports dtamped S.H.I. T. (Suspected Hippy In Transit)

Edited by gpt

The term 'hippy' is a cultural anachronism. There are many more that bare the appearance then live the life style nowdays. I think? I used to look like a hippy and even called a hippy in my colleage days but didn't feel like a hippy. :D

Well and i felt like a hippy but had to look like a business man 8/5 every week :o

- dressed in an offensive manner, e.g. only singlet or......slippers or rubber/wooden

Oh, thats ok for Australians. Singlet and thongs (Rubber Slippers) are the national dress :o

- dressed in an offensive manner, e.g. only singlet or......slippers or rubber/wooden

I agree....it's best for hippies to dress in a national costume upon arrival in Thailand..like this one with wooden shoes.....:

LaoPo :o

Years ago, long haired hippies arriving in Singapore were given the choice of either a haircut or the first available international flight out. Those who opted for the flight had their passports dtamped S.H.I. T. (Suspected Hippy In Transit)

:D

:o

hippielennonci0.gif

It seems like Singapore and Thailand are reversing rolls.

Singapore has introduced 24 hour drinking, legalised prostitution and is certainly alot more relaxed about (to quote meadish) didge-playing fishermans pants kind of people, than it ever was, where as Thailand is trying to go in the opposite direction as far as I can tell.

From this website:

Thailand:

so basically, most of the tourists walking around Sukhumvit and Pattaya.... :o

Broad brush painter I see. Hmmm, I wonder what cess pool you hail from. This forum would be 75% less populous without those 2 very popular areas

It seems like Singapore and Thailand are reversing rolls.

Singapore has introduced 24 hour drinking, legalised prostitution and is certainly alot more relaxed about (to quote meadish) didge-playing fishermans pants kind of people, than it ever was, where as Thailand is trying to go in the opposite direction as far as I can tell.

Ah but in Singapore, they are designer hippy pants, armani flip flops and coiffured pony tails.

I hate the pretentious stinking lot of em and would like so lock up anybody that slipped the word like into a sentence more than once an hour. And anybody white with dreadlocks is an even bigger <deleted>. IMHO

India is like so much more their style and we wouldn't have to be like bored to tears listening to their inane drivel on the Bankok Surat overnight train.

From this website:

Thailand:

looking hair,

Good.

Dress respectfully and they'll be no problem. :o

I agree....it's best for hippies to dress in a national costume upon arrival in Thailand..like this one with wooden shoes.....:

LaoPo :o

Same thing was said a few years back with no such action, but I advised a friend to tie up his hair not look like your on drugs or intending on being looking like a hippy just so your not profiled and given a harder timen etc. I walked thru a differnt line actyually and if you don't want to be hasseled , its good advice even more now !!! :D