Children's powdered milk – what am I missing ?

Once Bitten

I was just looking through the Tesco Lotus stuff and I was amazed to see endless boxes of  powdered milk  for children , what was even more shocking was the price :crazy: , now Ive never had children , but why is this  powdered milk  so expensive , even to the extent that each box on the shelves for sale , has an electronic anti theft device fitted .  What am I missing ? :shock1:

Written on the box 

Contains:
- International Patented Synbiotic (Probiotic; Bifidobacterium Breve M-16V and GOS/lcFOS ratio of 9:1)
-2 soluble fibers that support gut microflora resulting in soften stools.
- DHA 18 mg /ARA 18 mg per 100 kcal ,
Omega 3, 6, 9 (80, 765, 1910 mg per 100 kcal)
- vitamin B12, A, C, E, Iodine, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, 
- Choline 26 mg, Taurine 9.1 mg, Nucleotide 2.2 mg per 100 kcal 

PoweredMile - Copy.jpg

It is expensive because that's the price the market will bear. New parents typically love their children and will pay a ridiculously high price for dried milk, wanting to buy only the best for the fruit of their loins.  It's very similar with pet food, which is also ridiculously overpriced.

i am also intrigued by the TV adverts that seem to indicate that these products advance a child's brain power with pictures of  award ceremonies with the child attaining  great heights in  the educational system     i would think that any such claims to be false  /misleading   and if any contents of these products  could help they would be of  a trace quantity   very unlikely to be of any true value whatsoever   

400 baht for a few millilitres of chicken stock..... Thais don't care,  it's the cost that is the main thing and why you see them sold as gift baskets. It could be just scented water and as long as it's expensive they will buy it and make a big show of handing it over to someone and gaining that all important face. 

Edited by Bung

2 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i am also intrigued by the TV adverts that seem to indicate that these products advance a child's brain power with pictures of  award ceremonies with the child attaining  great heights in  the educational system     i would think that any such claims to be false  /misleading   and if any contents of these products  could help they would be of  a trace quantity   very unlikely to be of any true value whatsoever   

I agree totally but I wouldn't say it to loud the way defamation charges are thrown around here. It would seem that any child's food here seems to be marketed as becoming a genius for taking it. A bit like beauty products and whitening, a must have or your ugly. If only there was some form of trading standards that were of any substance. The adverts here are as true to life as Thai soaps.

My daughter breast fed her twins ( girl / boy ) until they were 3 years old.

An advantage of breast feeding was that when one of the children showed a severe allergic response during early feeding months it was far easier to find out the cause.     It was milk and products containing milk that the mother was eating and passing through in her milk.     Once my daughter stopped eating these products the both children could feed naturally again.

4 hours ago, Bung said:

The Mae Baan told me they have now banned advertising for this. No idea why,  maybe because of the outlandish claims they make?  

True, now banned.

My Thai son and his wife have advanced professional knowledge about nutrition, childhood development etc, and they did their own research when heir first baby was born.

A respected pediatrics doctor told them all these symbols and equations on the boxes are not really proven and he suggested breast feeding for as long as possible plus basic UHT milk, fresh cows milk, some fresh goat milk, chocolate milk in the HT boxes but never with added sugar, starting from about 8 months old.

All 3 of my granddaughters have gone through this routine and it worked well, they are all very healthy and happy with strong bodies, good skin etc., and they all still look for milk a couple of times every day.

The two oldest put 2 UHT boxes in their school bag every day.

The youngest (2 this December) gets a small UHT box from the kitchen cupboard after every meal and comes to one of the adults or older sisters to put the straw in the box, and she usually drinks 50% - 100% of every box. 

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, Bung said:

400 baht for a few millilitres of chicken stock..... Thais don't care,  it's the cost that is the main thing and why you see them sold as gift baskets. It could be just scented water and as long as it's expensive they will buy it and make a big show of handing it over to someone and gaining that all important face. 

The more I think about this '' face '' thing  , be it showering people with dodgy very expensive useless gifts to show how much money you have , or the ever present opposite , the loosing face syndrome  where being shown up as some one who has made some sort of mistake or made an obvious poor decision, seems to be a genetic curse that no sane person would want or have to live with.

I'm still at a loss to understand how people can go through their entire lives with the loosing face syndrome and not see it for what it really is .

My wife and I are grandparents to two little girls .  I see what children in Thailand eat , an unbelievably poor diet , very likely completely free of necessary vitamins and minerals .  I believe the milk powders are not being served according to the instructions and are in many cases the cause of severe child obesity .

May come down to various things. For example, medical reasons why a mother cannot breastfeed, may also be lifestyle reasons - work related for example. Then there are also personal reasons, however, from the mothers I have spoken to usually the personal reasons do not outweigh the benefits of breastfeeding. The Public Health officials do push breastfeeding to new mothers and do create advertising programs re the benefits of breastfeeding in Thailand.

In terms of cows milk, powdered milk is supposedly easier to digest for babies. And cow milk shouldn't be used before 1 year old from memory. After that it is fine. But, also there is the thought of the added risk of contamination of milk in Asian countries. Back in Melbourne for example, shoppers were limited to 4 powdered milks due to the Chinese buying them and sending them back home (didn't trust the milk in China). Also when there is a milk crisis farmer feed low quality foods (financial reasons), leading to low quality milks. 

Terms of price, well they can make it whatever price they want. The same with many supplements. The majority of people can get it naturally, but choose not to. Those with legitimate reasons to buy it, end up being unlucky having to fork out so much.

Edited by wildewillie89

I buy it for my little bundle of trouble, I feel more at ease knowing he has vitamins in his diet.... he's slowly moving over to solids but... rice and chicken soup etc.... just carbs n a bit of protein, so I'll keep him on formula milk to supplement for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, tonray said:

You have answered your own question. The ingredients read like the weekly flyer at an expensive vitamin shoppe.

I'm told I was reared on goat's milk.....hardy been sick a day in.my life (leaving out the alcoholism)......Hmmmm, ..now I wonder have I hit on something here, never put two and two together until I actually re-read what I have written? 

Edited by dotpoom

5 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I'm told I was reared on goat's milk.....hardy been sick a day in.my life (leaving out the alcoholism)......Hmmmm, ..now I wonder have I hit on something here, never put two and two together until I actually re-read what I have written? 

At what age did your parents stop the goat's milk ? Sip-Baaaaaahhhhhhht ?

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

It is expensive because that's the price the market will bear. New parents typically love their children and will pay a ridiculously high price for dried milk, wanting to buy only the best for the fruit of their loins.  It's very similar with pet food, which is also ridiculously overpriced.

I have to say, Oxx, before now I never considered purchasing pet food for the "fruit of my loins," but on your recommendation, I'll give it a go. I suspect I might catch a bit of resistance from the mother, but what else is new?

7 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

Why on earth would you doubt the claims of these products? Just take a look around you.....we are surrounded by genius'.

Chinese folk buy this stuff in enormous quantities in Australia and ship it to the relatives in China, they just clean the supermarkets out. Not only do they think the quality is better but also safer than the same product made in China. Imo, its just a massive con worldwide helped along by some slick marketing preying on people's love and desires for their kids. Breast milk and then mashed veges do the trick. Amazing how babies survived in the old days without these powdered formulas!!

9 hours ago, tonray said:

You have answered your own question. The ingredients read like the weekly flyer at an expensive vitamin shoppe.

in the west it is called "formula" for babies  . never had kids ?  lucky man .....

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

yikes .... i just read a brain fart .

2 hours ago, mikiea said:

in the west it is called "formula" for babies  . never had kids ?  lucky man .....

never had kids ? lucky man

Never having any children is one thing that I now wonder about , my past pre Thailand life was filled with work and a wife who really never wanted children , so the die was cast . My family name stops with me , so no loving children to spend Christmas and holidays with ,   no loving children to say , hay dad come stay with us when you retire ,  no loving children to look after me in my old age. 

Did I make a big mistake in not having children , who knows .:sad: