Mum accepts a "wai" and a basket of tonic for the assault of her son

webfact

Mum accepts a "wai" and a basket of tonic for the assault of her son

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SUPHANBURI: -- The mother of a ten year old boy assaulted by language teachers at his school in Suphanburi has let them get away with it.

Too, 31, agreed to drop charges after her son was thrashed four times across the buttocks with a stick for forgetting his homework.

The attack caused extensive bruising and resulted in fever.

Following a second meeting at the school yesterday she accepted a wai and an apology and a basket of Brand's tonic drinks. Now she plans to move her son to a school in Saraburi.

The teachers - who teach Thai and English - agreed at the meeting that they had been excessive apologizing to the parent and the child, a P4 student.

They thanked the mother for dropping her prosecution.

But that was not their first reaction. After the incident last week they refused to say sorry and even made life difficult for the child angering the mother further.

Now Daily News said the teachers had "learned their lesson" and would be better in the future. In their headline they said it had all ended "fair and dandy".

Director of Wat Worajan school in Phopraya district, Direk Singhaphan said that a committee of enquiry was still looking into what was going on at the school.

But no mention was made of sanctions against the teachers involved and they certainly were not going to lose their jobs.

The police told Daily News they were happy to bring the sides together and solve the problem with mediation.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-07

I don't blame the mother for sending her son to a different school, but the attitude of the school is taking the piss. They had been apologizing too much?

No sanctions against the teacher and no one is in danger of losing their jobs? There is the green light for the next beating then.

And on and on it goes, these piece of garbage so called teachers getting away with behavior that in a civilized country would have their sorry <deleted> in jail, fired and the school sued. But, oh no not here in Thailand where teachers are treated like a God.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

hmmm ....  at the least the teacher should have been dismissed for a week as disciplinary action.

Very poor management by the head of the school .... he should be shamed on facebook and social media for doing nothing .

The police are also derelict in not processing a charge against the teacher for obviously breaking the law. Too lazy, too many back room powerbases.

Just wondering whether other parents will move their kids to other schools or refuse to let the teacher involved teach their kids.

And will the media follow up? Clearly NO., showing their lack of ethics.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

solve the problem

huh?; still have abusive teachers, kid has to transfer schools, school admin that is really good at doing nothing;

i really dont understand thai law and how it interweaves with thai culture, today's thai society;

law breaking is somehow overlooked by some gesture on the part of the perpetrator;

it should never be up to the victim to drop charges or investigations; that is the province of law enforcement; the victim is out of the loop at that point ; testify , be interviewed later, sure,

the Law has been broken, those are the rules of society and strongly helps define something called 'civilized'

engaging in the wai type activity is primitive

Edited by YetAnother

And this is how Thailand's problems perpetuate.

Let them come off easy, and it sets a precedent for everybody else.

The message is simple, you can do whatever you want as long as you wai a lot when being caught.

Seen it happen before and before here in Thailand. The parent's probably think it will give them bad karma to get the teachers fired or prosecuted so they rather make things go away for a small bribe.

Edited by Bob12345
spelling

2 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

And this is how Thailand's problems perpetuated.

Let them come off easy, and it sets a precedent for everybody else.

The message is simple, you can do whatever you want as long as you wai a lot when being caught.

Seen it happen before and before here in Thailand. The parent's probably think it will give them bad karma to get the teachers fired or prosecuted so they rather make things go away for a small bribe.

I don't disagree with what you have said but I don't think you have gone dark enough.

I think the mother discovered that if she continued to press her case, she would have got no further action from the school, the police or the local education department.

I think the mother was actively and strongly pressured by the school, the police and the local education department to accept an apology.

I think the mother suspected or received threats that if she didn't drop it there would be negative consequences for her son's education or for her, perhaps legal action or pressure through local government, many ways it could happen.

When all avenues are blind alleys, and nobody is supporting you in your just fight, it takes a very determined soul with deep pockets, lots of time and a tolerance for suffering to continue the fight.

This is a feudalistic society, lacking in civil society.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I don't blame the mother for sending her son to a different school, but the attitude of the school is taking the piss. They had been apologizing too much?

No sanctions against the teacher and no one is in danger of losing their jobs? There is the green light for the next beating then.

With regard to the bit about apologizing too much. That's just the usual poor grammar altering the intended meaning. 

5380083086000128.png?k=BInNWzysAT6iIIfxf

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." 

Mahatma Ghandi

I wonder what would have happened if the parent had beaten up the cops, the principal of the school, the teacher? I wonder what would have happened if the kid had done it? I wonder how this and other kids will grow up as an adult?Tough love? For whom?

In terms of educational practices, school management, and justice, this is ALMOST on par with Pakistan, Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia, but with a smile, a wai, and a basket!

There should be some suspensions (of a few people, as I assume that this is not an isolated case), some restorative justice by the people who erred, some expectations of additional training (outside of class time) in how to manage children more effectively, some assessment and examination after the training on the teacher's performance in these area and management of the school.

Was this the kid from last week or something with the blue ass cheeks looking similar to a baboons bum, just different color?

A basket?

If this kid ever turns out a criminal on whatever grounds, hold my imaginary beer as I pretend to look surprised.