Thailand becomes first country in Asia to join global effort to clean up the world's oceans

webfact

Thailand becomes first country in Asia to join global effort to clean up the world's oceans

ANNEMARIE MCCARTHY

Lonely Planet Writer

Thailand has announced it will be the first Asian country to join a global initiative to clean up its oceans around tourist hotspots like Bangkok, Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Phuket.

Upcycling the Oceans is an effort spearheaded by the Ecoalf Foundation. It gets local fishermen to take part and remove plastic from the surrounding waters. Once collected, the plastic gets recycled into thread for environmentally-friendly fabric which the foundation will turn into clothes and accessories.

The three-year project kicked off earlier in the month at Ko Samet, an island 200 kilometres southeast of Bangkok, which is popular with locals for weekend trips. Fishermen and divers explored the water off the sandy beaches and collected .7 tonnes of plastic debris – including bottles and fishing nets – in just five hours.

Full story: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/09/06/thailand-cleans-oceans-upcycling/

-- Lonely Planet 2017-09-07

More lipservice, while 7 still puts my Cornetto in a plastic bag, gives me 4 straws for a can of Coke, 2 beers and a bottle of mouthwash and  i get 4 plastic spoons (wrapped in plastic) for EVERY 4- pack of Yoghurt (wrapped in plastic, of course!)...

:coffee1:

23 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Cleaning up is pointless if many Thais continue to treat their Thailand's public areas as their own personal garbage tip. There is so much garbage here I'm lost as to whether littering is actually legal or illegal. 

"There is so much garbage here I'm lost as to whether littering is actually legal or illegal. "

What part of the "dump" are you living in? Bangkok, Pattaya...?

Upcountry here the countryside is  clear of unsightly garbage and the main town is very clean.

still remember when I went down to the local port one time, couple pulled up on their bike, got out and threw a couple of bags of household rubbish into the water on one side of the pier then grabbed their fishing rods and started to fish on the other side. As long as  cretins like this  have such a low regard for the environment they will never clean up Thailand, to many people are simply too lazy, its easier to just throw rubbish on the ground where you are then bin it

20 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"There is so much garbage here I'm lost as to whether littering is actually legal or illegal. "

What part of the "dump" are you living in? Bangkok, Pattaya...?

Upcountry here the countryside is  clear of unsightly garbage and the main town is very clean.

The local road around the back of my village in Nonthaburi....piles of garbage and old building materials everywhere. 

25 minutes ago, seajae said:

still remember when I went down to the local port one time, couple pulled up on their bike, got out and threw a couple of bags of household rubbish into the water on one side of the pier then grabbed their fishing rods and started to fish on the other side. As long as  cretins like this  have such a low regard for the environment they will never clean up Thailand, to many people are simply too lazy, its easier to just throw rubbish on the ground where you are then bin it

The other day a little kid was getting into a car near a temple.  A wrapper fell out onto the road. The child went to pick it up but the grandmother quickly took it and threw it into the gutter. 

5 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The local road around the back of my village in Nonthaburi....piles of garbage and old building materials everywhere. 

OK, I understand, I used to live in Pathum Thani not far Rangsit, and many of the sides of the  roads where there were few or no houses, Klong 2,3,4 etc on either side of Rangsit canal were used as garbage dumps all up and down each side. Sofas, fridges, bathroom sinks, you name it, plus building materials by the ton.  Simple lack of enforcement by the city powers that be.

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

OK, I understand, I used to live in Pathum Thani not far Rangsit, and many of the sides of the  roads where there were few or no houses, Klong 2,3,4 etc on either side of Rangsit canal were used as garbage dumps all up and down each side. Sofas, fridges, bathroom sinks, you name it, plus building materials by the ton.  Simple lack of enforcement by the city powers that be.

It got much worse after the 2011 floods. There was massive dumping. It turned into landfill and now houses are being built on it. Good luck with that:)

Nice thought but never any action or results. Just latching on to an appealing concept with no sense of implementation.

Coca Cola has had a collection, recycling, repurposing of plastic bottle waste to fabric (hats, shirts, etc.) and it is extremely expensive. They eat the (not insignificant) cost as public relations, sustainabilty heralding and other outreach expenses. I doubt this Ecoalf /Thailand tie up  has any idea what it has to do besides announcing hollow self promotion.